What type of money would we need to come up with NIL money to entice Chandler to stay another year?

If Hendon Hooker truly got $1 million, as is rumored, to return, do you think it makes Tennessee a CFP contender?

I'd argue Tennessee basketball, with Chandler, is infinitely closer to winning a national title than Tennessee football is to making the CFP with Hooker.
Hooker got $1M from who? In lieu of doing what? Going Pro?

Hooker got $1M from who? In lieu of doing what? Going Pro?

Spyre. It’s just a rumor as we will never know exact numbers, but that’s what has been discussed. Yeah, he was considering going pro. It’s a weak QB draft class so he probably figured he could get drafted in the middle rounds if he left.

Spyre. It’s just a rumor as we will never know exact numbers, but that’s what has been discussed. Yeah, he was considering going pro. It’s a weak QB draft class so he probably figured he could get drafted in the middle rounds if he left.

Yep, it had to be enough to convince him not to go pro. Dobbs was drafted in the 4th round and signed a 4 year deal worth $3 million and a $560k signing bonus. So, if Hooker turns a contract like that down, it only makes sense what he got. I am guessing Tillman got a decent deal, too.

The dollar values being thrown around seem unbelievable to me

$1 million for Hooker does seem high. I agree. But, considering how much money there is in football I’m not totally unsurprised. It might be a bit of an overpay, but if your options are overpaying for Hooker or starting Joe Milton or True Freshmen Tayven Jackson in an important Year 2 where you have to show progress, I can see why we might overpay.

$1 million for Hooker does seem high. I agree. But, considering how much money there is in football I’m not totally unsurprised. It might be a bit of an overpay, but if your options are overpaying for Hooker or starting Joe Milton or True Freshmen Tayven Jackson in an important Year 2 where you have to show progress, I can see why we might overpay.
I find it unbelievable they’ve supposedly got a $25M+ spend on player contracts. There’s no way they’re bringing in that much money in actual NIL marketing deals. And I find it hard to believe crowd sourcing dollars through their club can come anywhere near making up the difference.

I find it unbelievable they’ve supposedly got a $25M+ spend on player contracts. There’s no way they’re bringing in that much money in actual NIL marketing deals. And I find it hard to believe crowd sourcing dollars through their club can come anywhere near making up the difference.

Well, to be fair, I think we all know NIL “marketing” deals are just a facade lol. No Frito Lay sponsorship or Pal’s promotion is going to get these kids that type of money. It’s just a legalized way for big ticket donors to drop their money and “legally” buy a player.

I don’t necessarily believe we have $25M+ in the pot either, but we don’t need that much to secure a top class. QB’s will always get by far the most money. If A&M can do it, we can to.

Yeah can't say he's the best ever. Potential to be if he stayed for sure. Grant Williams was 2-time 1st team All-SEC and consensus All-American his Junior/last year. And Grant probably isn't the best ever either.

I think it would probably take 8 figures to get his attention to stay.
8 figures? For one year? That's insane.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

The fan base raised $360k for ZZ in 24 hours. Now, I’m not going to suggest it’s easy to raise $25 million. But I have no doubt they have/can have millions in the account. You get 500 mid-level donors together, and you can raise some cheese.

Why would he stay for anything less than $8M at this point? An unproven high school is getting it to come here, so should he not at least expect as much?

Reactions: Caculator
Why would he stay for anything less than $8M at this point? An unproven high school is getting it to come here, so should he not at least expect as much?

Apples to oranges. First, football and basketball are different. Second, the $8 million is over at least 3 years, not 1. Technically, KC wouldn’t be guaranteed $8 million if he was selected 20th in the NBA draft. I think something like 2.5-3 would make him think about it, but any guarantee of a first round pick and it doesn’t matter.

Here's the thing though - do you really think bringing Chandler back will lead Tennessee to a national title? Because if you don't, why would you even consider giving anyone that kind of money?

Let's say you managed to get your hands on that sort of money, to say nothing of getting your hands on that sort of money in time for the NBA Draft; you have to realize you're not buying something, you're betting on something. You're making a bet that spending all that money to bring Chandler back would lead to a national title. Otherwise, why offer it? And that's not even taking into consideration our coach's track record, and his history of struggling to get out of the first weekend. Would you still want to throw that kind of money on that bet? Because that's what you're effectively doing.

Final Four is our goal until we make one. If he gets us there, it’s worth it.

As has been pointed out, the faster you go, the faster you get to contract #2. Luke Kennard is a career 9ppg 2.9 rpg guard who signed his 2nd contract in 2021. He is making 14 million per season for the next 4 years. Grant will probably get 60 million dollars for 4 years when his second contract comes. To get a kid to stay, you're asking him to give up a year making probably 15+ million dollars.

There's not any reason for Chandler to play at a lower level if he can reasonably be assured of meaningful playing time on an NBA roster next year. NIL money wouldn't be a bad idea if he's projected lower in the first round and there's a good possibility of moving up with a strong sophomore year.

Here's the thing though - do you really think bringing Chandler back will lead Tennessee to a national title? Because if you don't, why would you even consider giving anyone that kind of money?

Let's say you managed to get your hands on that sort of money, to say nothing of getting your hands on that sort of money in time for the NBA Draft; you have to realize you're not buying something, you're betting on something. You're making a bet that spending all that money to bring Chandler back would lead to a national title. Otherwise, why offer it? And that's not even taking into consideration our coach's track record, and his history of struggling to get out of the first weekend. Would you still want to throw that kind of money on that bet? Because that's what you're effectively doing.

The NCAA tournament is available to bet on prior to the season starting. Even for the blue blood programs with all 5 star players the odds are 8-1 to 20-1, other schools like UT the odds are much greater. I would not hire, fire or pay based on National Championship chances.

Easy sell also. The chance to come back and improve his draft stock tremendously, played into his decision, I’m sure.

Last edited:
There's not any reason for Chandler to play at a lower level if he can reasonably be assured of meaningful playing time on an NBA roster next year. NIL money wouldn't be a bad idea if he's projected lower in the first round and there's a good possibility of moving up with a strong sophomore year.
I only sort of follow one NBA team the Miami Heat and living in Lakewood Ranch, FL (used to live in South FL when LeBron played for the Heat) I don't get to see many of their games. I can't even remember the NBA teams the two 5 Stars from last year got drafted to last year. I do seem to recall they were later in the 1st round(neither was a lottery pick). Anyone remember what number in draft for each player? How much was their first contract? I seem to recall one of them was traded. If you are a late 1st round player you're probably not going to get much PT.

VN Store

Back