What Top Tier Coaches Would Come To Tennessee Right Now ?

When we were looking for a "top tier" coach 4 years ago the talent was depleted. Now I think some coaches with better experience (than Butch) would at least listen - there is talent on the roster now. Of course this would assume we had an AD that would talk to them. Also, financially we would need some boosters to support large donations to cover some of the buyout of Jones. This fan base is starving, yes maybe we are somewhat irrational at times, but many of us remember when Tennessee was a top tier program.
I remember when we were a top tier program to. Then we started firing & hiring coaches & hit rock bottom. Butch has brought in better athletes & we are starting to WIN again. Do you really want to start over?

I remember when we were a top tier program to. Then we started firing & hiring coaches & hit rock bottom. Butch has brought in better athletes & we are starting to WIN again. Do you really want to start over?

0-4 against Alabama
0-8 against SEC west
5-20 against ranked teams
2-2 against Vanderbilt
1-3 against Florida
2-2 against Georgia

This year against Vandy, over 600 total yards, over 400 yards passing (a record for Shurmur who never had a 300 yard passing game), most points scored against Tennessee since 1923.

Yes, its time to start over. Should we just continue to accept mediocre results and not beating our main rivals on a consistent basis? How many more losses to Bama should we put up with? How many more gifts to Florida should we have to live with?

Reactions: 3 people
So my opinion is not much. Nor by all means think I know it all. But the way I see it is that butch has his kids he recruited himself. If butch is not going to clean house and let the coaches bring in there own to be successful then the 2017 season will be seccg or bust. The state of Tennessee is getting much better with producing top talent. We are right above Bama and Georgia where we recruit very well and have great tradition and the facilities to snag kids from fl sc and a few other states. Our school makes a lot of money and I think we're a top 10 program to coach at. If and a big if jones is fired next yr our AD hire will determine what kind of coach we get. And I believe it would be a big hire. There is no way Tennessee will follow the same path they have followed with the last three hires. "Unless they are trying to dismantle the football program" which I do not believe is happening. So yes I do believe a big time coach will come to TN if and a big if Tn fires Butch. I just can't speculate on who.

Reactions: 1 person
Absolutely NONE!! LSu with one of the best recruiting bases in existence couldn't get what they wanted.

Yes. Fire him.

There are coaches who would win 8-9 or better. I'd risk it. We've got a mediocre coach. I'll take the chance I could find a better option. 5-6 million a year talks. Nut up and stop accepting mediocre.

JMO

I can see you have never been exposed to what is required to field a championship football team. Only a very few coaches are good enough and experienced enough to win 9-11 games a year in the SEC. Tennessee is tied in second place with wins this year. Only Alabama hs won more games. They have SABAN and nobody else does. One can never build a winning program bt changing coaches every 2-4 years. We have a coach who has the potential to win 10-11 games a year. Even if you paid the buy out costs from your resources, Butch Jones is still our best chance to be competitive in the SEC. We have tried this new coach every 4 years for a while and we are now in the best shape we have been in 10-12 years. Why destroy what we are building and start over again?? It makes absolutely NO sense.

Saban, Meyer, Stoops, Kelly or even Gruden?

We can win 9 games for the second year in a row (69% of games) vs 68% historical average

We play a top 5 schedule every year that includes teams like Alabama, Florida, USCe, and Georgia (teams that have more SEC instate recruits than us)

We have an irrational fanbase that would fire the Pope if he didn't cover the point spread out of pity vs Holy Cross for the Blind

Did I mention that we don't have an AD?

So do you guys really think we should be talking about firing a coach that will have as many wins this year as every other SEC team not named Alabama?

South Carolina is only tough because we have Butch and they have Muschamp. Lol

Keep Butch
Hire Kiffin (OC) and Muschamp (DC)

Even Putin be like....

raw

after reading that post.

Absolutely NONE!! LSu with one of the best recruiting bases in existence couldn't get what they wanted.

The problem is they went after a guy, Jimbo, who is already at an established school with his players and the program in his image, that was never going to happen.

I believe if Texas hadn't fired Strong then Herman would've been LSU's new coach, but that dude wasn't gonna leave the state of Texas with the Texas job open, so that was just bad timing for LSU on that part.

As for us, I'll continue to say it, Les Miles, as of right now, at this very moment he is the ONLY top tier coach who would consider an offer from us. Other than that we'd be aiming for another up and comer and hope he's the next Pearl, at least in production and not in violations.

The problem is they went after a guy, Jimbo, who is already at an established school with his players and the program in his image, that was never going to happen.

I believe if Texas hadn't fired Strong then Herman would've been LSU's new coach, but that dude wasn't gonna leave the state of Texas with the Texas job open, so that was just bad timing for LSU on that part.

As for us, I'll continue to say it, Les Miles, as of right now, at this very moment he is the ONLY top tier coach who would consider an offer from us. Other than that we'd be aiming for another up and comer and hope he's the next Pearl, at least in production and not in violations.

Dude you have no idea who would or wouldn't consider an offer from UT. You are speculating.

Dude you have no idea who would or wouldn't consider an offer from UT. You are speculating.

Yeah that's true, I'm not sure who would consider an offer from us, but at this moment, Miles is the safe bet.

No buyout for him, no real baggage at the moment, but if we're really being honest here, Miles is the only option at the moment that would save and make the program money at the same time.

I mean you're not gonna pull any coach from an established school unless there's been some history of him being unhappy at his current location.

Plus we'd have to spend a lot probably to get a coach from an established school, if that were the route that the program would take.

But Miles might come in a bit cheaper, I mean who could coach here, in the SEC again, or he could go to Purdue...........

Yeah that's true, I'm not sure who would consider an offer from us, but at this moment, Miles is the safe bet.

No buyout for him, no real baggage at the moment, but if we're really being honest here, Miles is the only option at the moment that would save and make the program money at the same time.

I mean you're not gonna pull any coach from an established school unless there's been some history of him being unhappy at his current location.

Plus we'd have to spend a lot probably to get a coach from an established school, if that were the route that the program would take.

But Miles might come in a bit cheaper, I mean who could coach here, in the SEC again, or he could go to Purdue...........

I don't get why the Les Miles bandwagon has so many passengers.

From year four on at LSU, the teams that he completely recruited, he lost at least three conference games five of ten seasons. He won the west once in 10 years. Butch might win one if you give him 10 years.

Plus, he's 63 years old. You want the guy to get established and then retire?

Reactions: 2 people

From year four on at LSU, the teams that he completely recruited, he lost at least three conference games five of ten seasons. He won the west once in 10 years. Butch might win one if you give him 10 years.

Agreed. Les was burned out, you could see it in his eyes. It was not fun any more and he had no clue how to fix it. Looking at Les this season reminded me of Fulmer's last couple of years. He just did not have it in the tank to fix or know how to fix. The want to was there for both guys, never doubted that, but both were just too fried to get it going again.

Lets take a look at that shall we.

LSU Tigers (Southeastern Conference) (2005–2016)
2005 LSU 11–2 7–1 1st (Western) W Peach 5 6
2006 LSU 11–2 6–2 T–2nd (Western) W Sugar† 3 3
2007 LSU 12–2 6–2 1st (Western) W BCS NCG† 1 1
2008 LSU 8–5 3–5 3rd (Western) W Chick-fil-A
2009 LSU 9–4 5–3 2nd (Western) L Capital One 17 17
2010 LSU 11–2 6–2 T–2nd (Western) W Cotton 8 8
2011 LSU 13–1 8–0 1st (Western) L BCS NCG† 2 2
2012 LSU 10–3 6–2 T–2nd (Western) L Chick-fil-A 12 13
2013 LSU 10–3 5–3 3rd (Western) W Outback 14 14
2014 LSU 8–5 4–4 T–4th (Western) L Music City
2015 LSU 9–3 5–3 T–3rd (Western) W Texas 17 16
2016 LSU 2–2 1–1 (Western)

So, from year four on, he lost 3 or more games, 5 times, won the west three times, won a NC and went back to one with his own recruits, since I know someone will say that those were Saban's players. He sustained momentum after Saban left, he only had two seasons with less than 9 wins, even then he rebounded the next year with a 9 win season, and then the following seasons he had 10 wins or more.

So overall the man can obviously coach, now whether he still has the desire to or not is a different story, but it takes a good coach to keep the momentum of a program going.

Reactions: 2 people
Lets take a look at that shall we.

LSU Tigers (Southeastern Conference) (2005–2016)
2005 LSU 11–2 7–1 1st (Western) W Peach 5 6
2006 LSU 11–2 6–2 T–2nd (Western) W Sugar† 3 3
2007 LSU 12–2 6–2 1st (Western) W BCS NCG† 1 1
2008 LSU 8–5 3–5 3rd (Western) W Chick-fil-A
2009 LSU 9–4 5–3 2nd (Western) L Capital One 17 17
2010 LSU 11–2 6–2 T–2nd (Western) W Cotton 8 8
2011 LSU 13–1 8–0 1st (Western) L BCS NCG† 2 2
2012 LSU 10–3 6–2 T–2nd (Western) L Chick-fil-A 12 13
2013 LSU 10–3 5–3 3rd (Western) W Outback 14 14
2014 LSU 8–5 4–4 T–4th (Western) L Music City
2015 LSU 9–3 5–3 T–3rd (Western) W Texas 17 16
2016 LSU 2–2 1–1 (Western)

So, from year four on, he lost 3 or more games, 5 times, won the west three times, won a NC and went back to one with his own recruits, since I know someone will say that those were Saban's players. He sustained momentum after Saban left, he only had two seasons with less than 9 wins, even then he rebounded the next year with a 9 win season, and then the following seasons he had 10 wins or more.

So overall the man can obviously coach, now whether he still has the desire to or not is a different story, but it takes a good coach to keep the momentum of a program going.

He might be a better coach than CBJ, but from 2008 on, his teams, he has one great year in 10. Not worth opening the vaults for, IMO. If you want 8-9 wins and 2nd or 3rd in the division, keep Jones.

Miles would be in a softer division, but he'd also have a weaker recruiting base.

If Saban fell off the planet tomorrow and his replacement had great seasons the first few years, would anyone really be that surprised? I agree that it takes skill to sustain a program, but there are a LOT of coaches out there that could win with Saban's roster.

Last edited:
God, I hate what the SEC has become. Saban will stay forever and win 10 more National Titles if every school who can't win or make the SECCG in 4 years fires their coaches and starts over. Saban has every other school stuck on stupid with his success. LSU, AU, TN, FL, and GA have fired or lost NC winning or highly successful coaches for not beating Saban (Alabama version or LSU version). It is almost a sad joke at this point. Urban Meyer was the only one who left successful but had to have seen what was to come at Alabama because he returned to coaching the next year somewhere else and built a team that actually beat Alabama.

0-4 against Alabama
0-8 against SEC west
5-20 against ranked teams
2-2 against Vanderbilt
1-3 against Florida
2-2 against Georgia

This year against Vandy, over 600 total yards, over 400 yards passing (a record for Shurmur who never had a 300 yard passing game), most points scored against Tennessee since 1923.

Yes, its time to start over. Should we just continue to accept mediocre results and not beating our main rivals on a consistent basis? How many more losses to Bama should we put up with? How many more gifts to Florida should we have to live with?
How many other teams are beating Bama and Florida?

VN Store

Back