What stuck out to you today?

His first two were a little off on the first drive. After that every single one hit its mark. Outside of those two the rest of his incomplete passes were obviously throw aways. Kinda part of the game that you have to accept
Brian seemed to lose focus a bit when he went against the 2nd 3rd team.
He trotted back out there on a 4 and 5. He thought it was 3rd down. And he got a pass batted by walk-on.

Bailey maintained his approach regardless of who the defense consisted of.

As opposed to 3 and out or a interception.. Or fumbling at the LOS because the ball was held too long.. What the hell do you want?

Id say going 3 and out in 30 sec will happen way more. The coach is going to have to recognize that if we're getting gassed, he's got to slow down.

Sorry just can't get excited about a white wr in sec play
I wanna say he was used at the 2nd TE spot or 5th WR so he is not gonna be matched up with elite corners. He seems to have a knack for getting open, and was originally recruited as a QB... maybe having that prior knowledge helps him to get separation on his routes. You can't count out the athletic whiteboys, especially at the WR position.

Offense too?
Explain please.

Been a fan since the late 60s. I have seen the Vols when they are good. This aint' good.

OL is serviceable but inexperienced and there really isn't a left tackle. No All Conference players here.
QB: If you have 3 still in the running, you don't have one. All of them have something different but none of them have greatness
RB: No real homerun threat. Against the defense they played against on Sat, some back should have broken at least one long TD. Nothing explosive
WR: No proven WRs. No SEC defense will have to double team any of these guys. That will also hamstring the running game.

For this type of offense to work, an offense needs an above average OL, an elite athlete at QB who is a threat running and throwing the ball, and a homerun RB. This offense has to have big play capability and I haven't seen the guy who can do that at any position.

Not sure there is one player on that offense who will make All Conference. Not even sure there is one player on that offense that would start for any team in the top half of the SEC. Sure, some will make a case for Cade Mays (didn't see it last year), Hyatt (WR) hasn't proven he can sustain success, VJones (did OK as the 3rd receiver last year)........

I hope I'm wrong and I will be at the home games but, every UT fan will have to be patient.........again.

Been a fan since the late 60s. I have seen the Vols when they are good. This aint' good.

OL is serviceable but inexperienced and there really isn't a left tackle. No All Conference players here.
QB: If you have 3 still in the running, you don't have one. All of them have something different but none of them have greatness
RB: No real homerun threat. Against the defense they played against on Sat, some back should have broken at least one long TD. Nothing explosive
WR: No proven WRs. No SEC defense will have to double team any of these guys. That will also hamstring the running game.

For this type of offense to work, an offense needs an above average OL, an elite athlete at QB who is a threat running and throwing the ball, and a homerun RB. This offense has to have big play capability and I haven't seen the guy who can do that at any position.

Not sure there is one player on that offense who will make All Conference. Not even sure there is one player on that offense that would start for any team in the top half of the SEC. Sure, some will make a case for Cade Mays (didn't see it last year), Hyatt (WR) hasn't proven he can sustain success, VJones (did OK as the 3rd receiver last year)........

I hope I'm wrong and I will be at the home games but, every UT fan will have to be patient.........again.
We certainly ain't the 2001 UT Volszthat's for sure. But I believe they will suprise you this fall. We'll have a better offense than Alabama imo. I'm saying that right now...

Bout time Page had his moments. Dudes been here for so long.

Really hope French and Willis get to come back. Our defense looked like a damb division 3 team out there with guys like Shuler.

Hell half the team looked like walk ons

Lot of names out there that I did not remember seeing on the roster. Must be guys making their way.

Did you pay ANY attention to who was guarding him??

Did you ask for our thoughts so you could convert us? I give you thoughts. You give me grief......

I've been a Tennessee fan for 40 something years. Graduated there. Was in that world record crowd that attended the spring game back in Majors days.

You just don't learn that much from spring games. Vol Nation has been excited every preseason for the last 15 with little to show for it in the end. While I don't consider myself a NegaVol, I am a realist. Our offense played against our defense. One side of the ball really sucked, but they were likely in some sort of vanilla man to man without bump coverage or whatever. We didn't see what we will in the fall from either side. So...........we didn't really learn anything AND that's by design.

Wake me up when the season starts.

Last edited:
Bailey should be judged by how he did against the 1st team defense.
He did decent against them. Missed Beckwith on what could have been a TD, but he still led then to points. That's what matters.

At the same time, he only went against them ONE time. I don't care if you prefer him. Thats your prerogative.

All I did personally was point out the point people conveniently gloss over for some reason.
-Maurer went against the 1st team defense 4 times.
-Bailey once.
- Hooker twice, and the last one was the last series of the game when Tillman made a great walkoff TD catch. He also threw a pick 6 the first go against them.

Heupel said it's still wide open. I believe him, but to me, the best QB right now, is Brian Maurer. The reps against 1st team Defense reflect that. It doesn't mean he is good enough to lead the team to victories yet. But he is QB1 right now.
You and 1vol8 should meet weekly for a few beers. Both of you should enjoy each other’s company immensely.

For the record it doesn’t matter who we think is No. 1 now. Our opinions will never impact the decision Heupel makes. Fall camp/practices will determine who starts Game 1 and Bailey and Maurer both may be backups.

You and 1vol8 should meet weekly for a few beers. Both of you should enjoy each other’s company immensely.

For the record it doesn’t matter who we think is No. 1 now. Our opinions will never impact the decision Heupel makes. Fall camp/practices will determine who starts Game 1 and Bailey and Maurer both may be backups.

Well thanks Captain Obvious.
I won't try to change the color of the sky anymore ...

Hey, Maurer is a Vol too. Same as Bailey.
Let the best man win and cheer for whoever that is!

Did you ask for our thoughts so you could convert us? I give you thoughts. You give me grief......

I've been a Tennessee fan for 40 something years. Graduated there. Was in that world record crowd that attended the spring game back in Majors days.

You just don't learn that much from spring games. Vol Nation has been excited every preseason for the last 15 with little to show for it in the end. While I don't consider myself a NegaVol, I am a realist. Our offense played against our defense. One side of the ball really sucked, but they were likely in some sort of vanilla man to man without bump coverage or whatever. We didn't see what we will in the fall from either side. So...........we didn't really learn anything AND that's by design.

Wake me up when the season starts.
Apologies for giving you grief.

If that were to happen, I wouldn’t stress it. Pressure is the key to beating a qb like Bailey.

I’m not sure I’d be feeling like HH is qb1 anymore tbh either. I’d be shocked if he didn’t lose some credibility yesterday. And If it wasn’t for the last 14 practices I’d say HB moved himself even with him yesterday and Maurer has been even all along but the last 14 practices did happen and it’s been no secret that he’s fell behind. Do I think he made up ground on the competition yesterday? Absolutely. But Maurer did enough to help himself as well.

After yesterday, if I had to guess (and assuming the practice reports are correct) I’d say Maurer exits the spring with the slight edge and Bailey pulled even with Hooker for #2. But I do feel like the gap should be pretty wide. Maurers deep passes came against better defensive competition with 2s 3s and walk ons AND were not even in the same zip code of ease in comparison to Baileys.
Right, I'm hearing some bad noise out of Knoxville, from a friend, and local sports reporter. Hooker and Mauer ARE solidly ahead of Bailey, coming out of spring. When Heupel mis-spoke, and said he felt both QB's faired well, he was speaking of Mauer and Hooker. My friend, gets the distinct impression that Bailey came out with a point to prove, because he sees the light at the end of the tunnel. According to him, he did not make enough of an impression to move into the 2 spot. and he thinks that Bailey will wind up transferring, mid-season or sooner. His feeling is that Heupel never really even considered Bailey, because he's not the type QB needed to run his system.
Don't shoot me the messenger!!
I play golf with, and am a good friends with very well established long-time sports reporter, here in Kingsport. I hope like hell he's wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1vol8

VN Store

Back