What stuck out to you today?

I just watched the first 18 minutes of video that Freak posted.

The defense played MUCH better than it sounded, or how I've read here.

I think we ol' timers are gonna have to learn to appreciate that this is a philosophy of defense unlike any we've known in Knoxville. Someone may have to place a merciful blindfold on General Neyland's statue for home games.

This defense is going to sacrifice some big plays and first downs while taking aggressive but risky chances. Ultimately they'll be trying to make a key stop in 1 out of 3 drives to force a punt (which they did), get turnovers (which they got one), and get TFLs (which I haven't seen yet in today's game) that put the offense behind the chains in order to increase the chances for a turnover.

We can't view this defense through a "bend-don't-break" lens. This will be a gambling, strategic defense. They'll not be trying to win the possession, or even the quarter. They'll just try to get our offense one more scoring possession than the other team.

If Tennessee is down by 2 points with 01:30 left in the game--but has possession of the ball... then our defense will have achieved its strategic goal.

When this thing gets rolling, cardiologists will probably be warning their VFL patients to avoid watching the Vols.
Watch the defense's whole body of work and you may see what people are talking about.

Qb- in terms of accuracy I think Bailey had a slight edge over Maurer today. Hooker looked like he can’t compete with either of the two at all and reminded me of JG tbh. Hit and Miss accuracy and short/safe. Which is alarming given the fact he only stretched the field on the last play of the game. I think Maurers rushing totals evened the stats with Bailey but his ability to throw on the run is what separates them imo.

Defense- I was actually impressed for the most part. I seen tight coverage on most plays there wasn’t a busted coverage. The first and second levels wasn’t quite as soft as I expected but still need A LOT of help! Transfer portal should be on fire with Tennessee Orange.

Offense- WRs were good. I expected more from Hyatt but he made the plays that came his way. Flame me if you want but Keyton STILL can’t make adjustments two years later. RBs were impressive. Especially Small. O line was much better than expected as well. However I’m not convinced they can keep the big three out of the backfield.

I've watched the game twice now. Our ACTUAL 1st team defense didn't play bad.
Maurer has improved. No turnovers and 3 scoring drives. Once against 1st team D.
Bailey also led ONE scoring drive against the 1st team Defense. Which was good because he didn't even get to play against them that much during the game.

People seem to be confused about who is on first team defense. It's easy to tell though. Baron is at that EDGE position and in the secondary you have Flowers, Burrell, McCullogh, and Taylor. Page and Garland were your inside guys at LB. Omari Thomas was 1st team DL.

WRs look good all around. Beckwith also played only against 1st team defense. He ran hard, and also looked good on that seem pass from the slot. He's going to have big year!

BruisedOrange: This defense is going to sacrifice some big plays and first downs while taking aggressive but risky chances.

In what I've watched at this time, I did not see the D taking aggressive but risky chances.

If Maurer and Hooker were indeed told to play ONLY from within the pocket (which sounds like it’s the case), it explains why Bailey looked the best today. They were being challenged to play outside of their style and therefore taking half of their game away, where Bailey was able to play within himself. IF that’s the case, I wouldn’t take anything from Bailey but at the same time, I wouldn’t take anything from Hooker or Maurer either as you can easily erase a few incomplete passes and replace it with positive rushing yards.
All three took off for first down runs, so if they were told to stay in the pocket......

Reactions: Remy
Qb- in terms of accuracy I think Bailey had a slight edge over Maurer today. Hooker looked like he can’t compete with either of the two at all and reminded me of JG tbh. Hit and Miss accuracy and short/safe. Which is alarming given the fact he only stretched the field on the last play of the game. I think Maurers rushing totals evened the stats with Bailey but his ability to throw on the run is what separates them imo.

Defense- I was actually impressed for the most part. I seen tight coverage on most plays there wasn’t a busted coverage. The first and second levels wasn’t quite as soft as I expected but still need A LOT of help! Transfer portal should be on fire with Tennessee Orange.

Offense- WRs were good. I expected more from Hyatt but he made the plays that came his way. Flame me if you want but Keyton STILL can’t make adjustments two years later. RBs were impressive. Especially Small. O line was much better than expected as well. However I’m not convinced they can keep the big three out of the backfield.
Bailey 12-15 80%. Your boy has his work cut out for him. Good luck.

Reactions: Remy and sona
Maurer needs to tuck the ball in when he runs. Looks erratic as can be, ball flailing all over the place.

I’m sorry. What?
What I was trying to point out was from the comments that were posted before I posted that didn't look like anyone view of what they believed before the game had change. Didn't matter if it was negativity or positivity they still seem to feel the same about where they believe the program or an individual was. Is what it is.

If you’re only looking at ONE example I’d say it’s not as much an uphill climb as you may think. Bailey looked good today from the pocket but You think Bailey will have the time he had today vs Bama? Georgia? UF? Maurers deep ball to Hyatt on the very next play showed he’s just as capable as Bailey on the deep ball from the pocket. However, his deep ball on the run also hit in stride from around 50 yards out. His incomplete passes were throw aways when nothing was there. He also threaded a needle perfectly but the ball was dropped. No one else did that all day and if you think we’ll go through a season of uncontested, wide open receivers you’re fooling yourself.

Bailey looked the best in terms of stats today. But there is much more than what he did today needed to beat or even compete with the big three and Maurer showed the capability of THOSE things. But fwiw, today I’ll agree. I give Bailey a SLIGHT edge based on TODAY.

All three took off for first down runs, so if they were told to stay in the pocket......
Maurer has been here two years now. I think it’s pretty well known that on a 3rd and 10 when he breaks the pocket and there’s nothing but green grass in front of him, he’s not going to hesitate. He did today on one and reloaded only to pull it down again and run. The result was a 5 yard gain that was easily 20 if he hadn’t hesitated. I’m not saying they were told NOT to run but I think it was clear that the coaches were looking for what they can do from within the pocket and that’s what caused the hesitation

Reactions: TheVolsFrog
If you’re only looking at ONE example I’d say it’s not as much an uphill climb as you may think. Bailey looked good today from the pocket but You think Bailey will have the time he had today vs Bama? Georgia? UF? Maurers deep ball to Hyatt on the very next play showed he’s just as capable as Bailey on the deep ball from the pocket. However, his deep ball on the run also hit in stride from around 50 yards out. His incomplete passes were throw aways when nothing was there. He also threaded a needle perfectly but the ball was dropped. No one else did that all day and if you think we’ll go through a season of uncontested, wide open receivers you’re fooling yourself.

Bailey looked the best in terms of stats today. But there is much more than what he did today needed to beat or even compete with the big three and Maurer showed the capability of THOSE things. But fwiw, today I’ll agree. I give Bailey a SLIGHT edge based on TODAY.
It’s alll over. For BM.
Maybe you will have better luck with some other future Qb candidates.

It’s alll over. For BM.
Maybe you will have better luck with some other future Qb candidates.
Lol. You think so based on today? Think of yourself as a defender. Do you seriously think a corner with cover skills would fear Bailey over Maurer based on today? Let me tell you my in depth analysis. What I seen today was a defensive line that couldn’t get into the backfield. BECAUSE of that Bailey was ABLE to throw from a clean pocket and therefore excelled. If I’m a defensive coordinator, I’m not trying to give the qb all day and plan to apply pressure. Pressure got to Maurer on occasion today and he had 50 (ish) yards rushing on NOT ONE designed qb run. He showed he’s just as accurate as any of them AND he’s able to throw accurately from off platform. If I were an opposing defender I would KNOW I better stick to my man and defend every blade of grass until the whistle blows with Maurer in the game. On the flip side, I’d KNOW if the front 7 can just get pressure on Bailey, I only have to stay with my man a few seconds a play.

Again. Bailey looked good today and I’m not taking anything from him. But to suggest he was “better” than Maurer based on stats is once again..... idiotic. The QUALITY of deep accuracy has to play a part in your analysis. If it doesn’t, you’re banking on having a clean pocket all year long. This competition isn’t over by a long shot. All Bailey did today is say “I’m not going away easily” and I like that.

Reactions: TheVolsFrog
Just watched highlights on YouTube. Jancek and Ore was a surprise. Expected to see a lot more from a few offensive guys.

Defense will cost this team a few games we could probably win, but won't

Reactions: Big Al Orange
It'll be good for both them.
Maurer played his 1st 3 series against the 1st team defense. But
Bailey out of his 7 series in the entire game played against the 1st team defense ONCE. But he engineered a TD on that drive.

VN Store

Back