What stage of grief are you in?

Which of the 5 stages of grief are you currently in for TN football?

• Denial (It isn’t that bad)

• Anger (Fire every person working at UT)

• Bargaining (We are a basketball school now)

• Depression (Will Tennessee football ever be relevant again?)

• Acceptance (It is what it is, I’m moving on)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm one of the few who voted it isn't that bad.

Cause it's not.

Like who cares anymore. Football shouldn't affect your moods. Life must go on. There's more things happening around the world to worry about than UT Football.

Nothing we can say or do will make the idiots at UT hire winners. All we can do is go along for the ride.

Funnel cakes anyone??!

We will get there. Just don't let it bother you is all I'm saying.
Where are these funnel cakes you speak of? I will take one ...no, it's almost Friday... I'll take two

Reactions: MyVolsDropped
We have torn down the old program to the foundation....new coach, new AD, players that aren’t getting paid or don’t want to be here. It sucks, it hurts, but sometimes it has to happen. The time for easy fixes was ten/fifteen years ago.

It’s a new day on Rocky Top. Let’s hope the administration agrees and puts in a solid foundation for us to grow

There are also 7- and 12-stage explications of the grief process.
I thought the 7-stage (and its accompanying emotions) seemed especially reflective of our situation:
  • Shock and denial (mourning, sadness, confusion, discomfort)
  • Pain and guilt (sadness, guilt, desperation, betrayed)
  • Anger and bargaining (anger, resentment, bargaining, stubbornness)
  • Depression, reflection, loneliness (depression, heavy, crushed, frustrated)
  • The upward turn (strengthened, motivated, awakened)
  • Reconstruction and working through (inspired, determined, refreshed)
  • Acceptance and hope (hopeful, comforted, relaxed, secure)
Glad you posted these as a reminder. Helpful for me in different way. Last month my Mom after a long beautiful life passed away and stepped into The Lord Jesus's loving arms after just a few days with sudden illness. Pain has been stinging. This past month I have been shuffling between a few of these. Football is a nice distraction and fun hobby. When the gentleman dropped dead next to me outside Gate 21 after the 1990 Alabama game, it helped with perspective too. I have to remind myself every so often about it. Enjoy this forum for comradery, humor and the common struggle since Ainge's pick 6 in the SECCG back in 07.

Last edited:
Been let down so many times I now don't expect good things from UT. If they happen then it's a bonus. Hell, I may even turn the channel to their game now and then just out of curiosity.

Glad you posted these as a reminder. Helpful for me in different way. Last month my Mom after a long beautiful life passed away and stepped into The Lord Jesus's loving arms after just a few days with sudden illness. Pain has been stinging. This past month I have been shuffling between a few of these. Football is a nice distraction and fun hobby. When the gentleman dropped dead next to me outside Gate 21 after the 1990 Alabama game, it helped with perspective too. I have to remind myself every so often about it. Enjoy this forum for comradery, humor and the common struggle since Ainge's pick 6 in the SECCG back in 07. We are bonded by our hobby's dysfunction.
Sorry you lost your Mom. That's a tough one, for sure

We've been so bad for so long that the emotions are no longer there. I hope one day Tennessee will get back to relevance but I don't believe that's anytime soon. At 50 years old, I'm afraid I'll probably never see Tennessee win the SEC or play in the CFB playoff. Hopefully we can make a Final 4 in basketball

I think the most I enjoyed Vol football was during the Johnny Majors rebuild. Battle had a good record but hated to recruit and the cupboard was pretty bare. New rules limited Majors from his Pitt solution, which was offer every great athlete and sign all that would sign. It was an uphill climb and we lost a few we should have won, but won several we should have lost. Every win was fun and every game was contested. I don't ever remember thinking we didn't have a shot.

I think that's what we have to hope for moving forward... that we get an innovative coach who can deploy his athletes to do what they are best at and find an upset win from time to time. It will be a bumpy ride, but Disney sells a lot of tickets to let you enjoy bumpy rides.

I'm going to cheer for whoever is on the field. I hope we find a coach who is up to the challenge. If we do, the next 3 or 4 years might be fun if you are open to just enjoying watching the team grow.

Seems like we could all use some therapy in here. I’ve given a brief descriptor of the thoughts of a person in each stage. Yours may not match exactly but pick the closest to your current mindset and vent away in here.

Feel free to change your vote as you progress, we want everyone to get through this with a sound mind.

/snowflake therapy voice
I'm at the point to where college football isn't fun anymore to be 100% honest. I used to live for football on Saturdays and now If something comes up, I almost always do the other things. Coming from someone who would put my Tennessee chair in the middle of the living room and have my football with me watching Gameday (SEC Nation when it kicked off) all the way to the last game of the night. I turned off most games before they ended and just went out and enjoyed the time with my wife and kids. Hardly watch Bama anymore play any other good teams, that's getting boring knowing what's going to happen before it does (wow, amazing that Bamas QB hit a receiver that has no one around them who could've guessed that). I'm just at that point to where I'm not invested like I used to be and have little hope for the UT administration to fix it.

I'm in the phase where I'm looking forward to super cheap football tickets. I love the gameday experience, I love the sounds and smells in the stands, the hits on the field, it's all good.

Of course, I also look forward to the day it matters again - but until it does, I will celebrate the festival of savings that is Tennessee football.

My getting upset days over UT sports are way behind me. I was in G'ville on Tues night for that beatdown and still had a good time. The guy beside me had a meltdown, though.

The situation is not going to improve, realistically, for years. We won't know for sure until the NCAA levies its punishments and a permanent coach is named. I have zero control over any of this so I'm not letting it occupy mindshare anymore. Moving on and will hope things work out well for the young men who are still VFLs and casualties of the grievous conduct of the coaches they trusted. That is who I truly feel terribly for.

I never join in these types of conversations because it always looks like to me a circular firing squad of each persons' opinions. I guess there is nothing worse than a delusional old fool. That would be me. I've cared about Tennessee football all my life and for well over 60 years. Too old to change and don't want to. My feelings right now are similar to what they were in each of the last series of head coach hiring decisions but magnified. It appears to me that the power brokers of UT football, the institutional leaders who are not qualified to make decisions about a sport and the behind-the-scenes persons who make the ultimate decisions carried out by the voices of institutional puppets, don't appear to care. Yes, its a institution with the mission of higher learning and research. I get that. But a college that created one of the most storied football programs of all time, albeit fading quickly. Tennessee has shown zero ability at recognizing a diamond in the rough. Be all in or get out. Taking the "safe approach" is effectively a non-decision. Might as well take down that sign that says "I will give my all for Tennessee today!" because as far as the football program, they are not doing it.

Let me put it this way...I lowered the Tennessee flag in front of my house after the Auburn game. I am too embarrassed to put it back up.

Read the paper man

Make a new poll

Tennessee will make a legit hire this time

Pruitt can go suck it

I'm really indifferent and kind of numb to it. It's been like watching a train wreck over and over for 12 years. With a glimmer of hope that they will finally start making good decisions that will move us in the direction of being a winning program again.

VN Store

Back