What Other Message Boards are Saying-Post Signing Day (Florida)

Many, many teams have lost recruits for many reasons, including Tennessee. And why are you picking just 2019? I’ll tell you why, because you think that year hurts Florida the most, so you zero in on it. But what about 2018 and even 2017? When you include losses from those classes, Florida is literally middle of the pack with Tennessee, with many teams being way worse.

Here’s how silly your “Florida’s 2019 re-rank” argument is. Florida signed 25 players and was ranked 8th. Tennessee signed 21 players and was ranked 13th. While UF lost 5 players, Tennessee lost at least two that I could find, maybe more? But we’ll stick with the 2 I’m sure of. So after losing 2, UT netted 19 players. Florida netted 20 after losing 5. So UF’s class still has more players with a higher star ranking per player. So while you’re somehow re-ranking Florida’s class to 17th, where do you re-rank Tennessee’s class to after losing 2? From 13th to where? Of course, it’ll depend on every other team in the NCAA and who they lost. Almost every team loses 2-3 players for a host of reasons. When you re-rank EVERYONE, let me know. Until then, Florida was 8th, UT was 13th. And don’t even get me started on the transfers in and how they fit in to your “adjusted rankings.” Where would All-SEC DE Jon Greenard fit in? Florida is long past losing a hand full of recruits in the 2019 class.

There’s a reason why the services (Rivals, 247, ESPN) don’t even attempt to re-rank and rearrange after the fact.
Didn’t change one opinion. 😴

I despise Florida. I mean it’s a raw, gutteral hatred that I’ve harbored for most of my life. But, that being said, I don’t see how any of us as Vol fans can talk trash to them or about them with a straight face. They have beaten us on the field, plain and simple. It hasn’t mattered how talented we were or if we were in Neyland, who the quarterback was or who the coaches were. It’s like we see that stupid cartoon alligator on their helmet and we decide to do whatever it takes to lose. Until that changes and we win more than a game here and there, I can’t dispute anything Jaws or any Florida guy says. Hopefully the turnaround starts in 2020 and don’t end!

Just gonna say this. @me if you feel it's necessary.

I'm usually one of the bigger di*ks on here, and I've gotta say...lighten up on our Fl fans a little. The thread was started to get input from them. It has turned into a bashing them thread. We do that in every other thread.

To be honest...they're also better posters (for the most part) than 90% of the posters that come over from the FF.

JMO
All your likes are Gator fans on this one...how’s that jazz ya? 😏

You’re not even trying to get stuff correct now. Dexter and Wingo are 5 stars from Florida.

Florida had 16 signees in the top 100 in Florida, Miami had 12, and I didn’t even bother to count FSU because their class is trash and it’s less than UF and Miami.

Florida’s class is by far the best in the state.

But go on...

How did the Florida schools fair head-to-head against Clemson?

There’s a lot of things you say that make sense, and this can be a tough place for a UF fan to linger, but don’t cherry pick stats for your narrative.

Just gonna say this. @me if you feel it's necessary.

I'm usually one of the bigger di*ks on here, and I've gotta say...lighten up on our Fl fans a little. The thread was started to get input from them. It has turned into a bashing them thread. We do that in every other thread.

To be honest...they're also better posters (for the most part) than 90% of the posters that come over from the FF.

JMO
Congrats

Alright, I’ll play along. So you’re seriously trying to make the case that 13-12 Pruitt is a better hire than Mullen?.

Pruitt is a better fit for Tennessee than Mullen would’ve been.

The argument is that Mullen wouldn’t have had the success he has enjoyed at Florida if he had been hired at Tennessee, not that he isn’t a good coach.

Mullen and his wife are strange birds. End of story. He is a good coach. Cant deny that

How did the Florida schools fair head-to-head against Clemson?.

Clemson signed 5 kids from Florida out of 23, so 21% of Clemson’s class are Florida kids. They signed one 5* from Florida.

Florida has 16 kids from Florida out of 25, so 64% of the class was in-state kids. Florida signed two 5* Florida kids.

Advantage, Florida? Not sure about Miami and FSU.

The argument is that Mullen wouldn’t have had the success he has enjoyed at Florida if he had been hired at Tennessee, not that he isn’t a good coach.

Obviously it’s a hypothetical, but as good an off-season topic as any, but I think Mullen would have been a helluva coach at UT. I think he would have been a 9-10 win a year guy with occasional years even better and in contention for big things. It would have been better than his stint at Miss State, which was pretty dang good.

I’m grateful he’s not there. And I’m happy he’s at UF. But I also respect UT fans’ point of view that Pruitt is the guy and a good fit. I personally am impressed at how he ended last season but I would like to see another season or two before I proclaim him “the guy.”

He earned the hype and support he’s getting here with a strong back half of last season.

Reactions: gainesvol82
Obviously it’s a hypothetical, but as good an off-season topic as any, but I think Mullen would have been a helluva coach at UT. I think he would have been a 9-10 win a year guy with occasional years even better and in contention for big things. It would have been better than his stint at Miss State, which was pretty dang good.

I’m grateful he’s not there. And I’m happy he’s at UF. But I also respect UT fans’ point of view that Pruitt is the guy and a good fit. I personally am impressed at how he ended last season but I would like to see another season or two before I proclaim him “the guy.”

He earned the hype and support he’s getting here with a strong back half of last season.
We don't take kindly to weird wife kissing. Keep that and your jorts down south. Thnx

1) I hate UF. I think I illustrated that perfectly in another thread earlier in the week.
2) I must have a bunch of gator posters on the list, cause I don't see either the back or the forth that's going on on this thread ... Which I'll admit, I like.
3) I agree with the assessment about Mullen's recruiting and fit at UF vs UT.
Thank the good Lord for Pruitt.
4) Go Vols and I'll hang up and listen.

1) I hate UF. I think I illustrated that perfectly in another thread earlier in the week.
2) I must have a bunch of gator posters on the list, cause I don't see either the back or the forth that's going on on this thread ... Which I'll admit, I like.
3) I agree with the assessment about Mullen's recruiting and fit at UF vs UT.
Thank the good Lord for Pruitt.
4) Go Vols and I'll hang up and listen.
I should put them on ignore also, they are truly disgusting to read.

Very true. Florida fans have been a little let down on the signing days because the vast majority of their commits were already locked in prior to. And of course, Tae Williams literally leaving UF at the alter and running out the Church with his side chick on NSD was the biggest shocker since Dalvin Cook got us (doing the Gator chomp on social media the night before and day of signing day, only to pop for FSU).

By the way, slight disagreement, UT closed the gap on Georgia because they got similar talent in spots. Maybe not as an aggregate, but in spots they closed the gap.

Dang it. Go get a life.

Clemson signed 5 kids from Florida out of 23, so 21% of Clemson’s class are Florida kids. They signed one 5* from Florida.

Florida has 16 kids from Florida out of 25, so 64% of the class was in-state kids. Florida signed two 5* Florida kids.

Advantage, Florida? Not sure about Miami and FSU.

Case in point for what I was talking about earlier in this thread. I don't even need to look it up to know who the 5* Clemson recruit out of Florida is. The dude is special and unless he gets injured or has some sort of off the field issue, he will be playing on Sunday to start the 2023 NFL season.

Reactions: preacherwebb
There is no doubt that if Currie would have hired Mehlen, we would barely be in the top 20 in recruiting if that. Dude misses all of his targets on ESD and NSD, and wouldn't have the benefit of all of that in state talent here that he does at Fl. 17 of their recruits in this class are from FL, and 4 of their portal players are also from Fl. So glad he isn't here. He's a good coach, but he isn't coaching 20th ranked recruiting classes to SEC championships. So glad he went to Fl instead of coming here.

So obvious. Still wish they hadn't landed him tho. He can coach and there's just so much talent there, that even his dumb looking, wife sharing, dorky self can't miss on all of it.
Would've been a disaster here.

I wanted them to get Kelly. And when they lose, their VN herd thins. I'm sure some of our fans would be disappointed but I'm willing to risk it.

Last edited:
You’re not even trying to get stuff correct now. Dexter and Wingo are 5 stars from Florida.

Florida had 16 signees in the top 100 in Florida, Miami had 12, and I didn’t even bother to count FSU because their class is trash and it’s less than UF and Miami.

Florida’s class is by far the best in the state.

But go on...

Actually, Bass was 100% correct that UF only signed 10 of the top 50 in Florida.

And, my take is that Bass is also correct in saying that Mullen was owned in-state. As example, UF only signed one of the top 10 in-state guys per 247 Composite. Bass didn't say who owned Mullen.. you just jumped to a comparison of UF and Miami. Clemson signed 3 top 10 guys in Florida, UGA signed 2 top 10 guys in Florida. So, various schools took a bite out of Mullens' ass, and at a time when the FSU and Miami programs are down.

Also, Wingo isn't close to a 247 Composite 5 star as you stated above, right after advising Bass he wasn't getting stuff correct.

Also, while we're getting stuff correct, I'm not aware that the Vols had anyone fail to enroll from the 2019 signing class. You stated in another post that at least two Vols didn't make it. We did have one guy (Melvin McBride) show up and enroll, and then doctors evaluated him and he unfortunately medically retired.

Five no shows sounds like a lot from one signing class, especially for a school like UF that wasn't facing NCAA sanctions or a coaching change. But, you stated in another post that other schools had more. Can you advise other school(s) that had more than five signees not show up last year?

Also, committed/unsigned players such as Britt and Manuel for UF are included in class ranking calculations, at least on 247, and I'm guessing also on Rivals. You posted that those two guys weren't included in UF's ranking. I realize those two likely won't sign now with UF, unlike last year when several signed with UF and didn't show up.

Last edited:
You have some extremist Florida fans who want to be #1 every year in recruiting like 99 and LW mentioned. Those extremists are the only folks disappointed in Mullen’s recruiting. I’m very happy with it and most Gator fans I speak with, are too. The roster and talent upgrade has been amazing in his two short years. You guys like to downplay it but what he’s done with the transfer portal to supplement his HS recruiting has been nothing short of phenomenal. The HS recruiting has been good and getting better, but any shortcomings there are more than offset with the talent he’s getting via the portal. Literally, UF’s best players on offense (Van Jefferson) and defense (Jon Greenard) were portal guys. His best returning WR (Tre Grimes) is a portal guy. He’s got role players all over the place that are portal guys. And all these 5* guys hit the field this year; Cox, Lingard and Shorter.

Mullen is slowly destroying what’s left of these rival narratives, some like you, are barely clinging on to the “he can’t recruit” by your fingernails. 😂

I really don't think Mullen is a great recruiter, hell any Coach should be able to recruit at Florida. If Mullen ended up at TN, I doubt he would have ever consistently had top 15 classes. I doubt he ever would have had a top 7 or 8 like CJP and staff did. Exactly why it's more important for the Vols to have a HC that has a reputation as a great recruiter and to have a staff full of great recruiters. Butch Jones would have never finished top 7 or 8 with signing just 23 guys. Butch's best ranked classes had sizes of 29 and even 32 or 33. I guarantee you put CJP and our staff at Florida, he would consistently put up more elite classes at UF than Mullen would. Exactly why I'm glad Mike Leach didn't end up at TN. He would have never been able to recruit well enough at TN to get us back to being competitive again. Fulmer and CJP knew it was imperative to have a staff full of elite recruiters.

Like you said, Mullen and staff have definitely brought in some great grad transfers. CJP has as well, including two 5* guys from Kirby Smart and a 5* from Jim Harbaugh. It's easier to recruit at UF than at TN, which is why Fla can get away with not having a great recruiting HC, unlike TN where we absolutely have to have one.

Absolutely!! I made the same point just a second ago. Fla is easy to recruit and doesn't need the elite cruiters that we need.

Reactions: SweetasSoda

I don't think Mullen is a good enough recruiter to have consistently won at TN..JMO

VN Store

Back