What kind of season can Ty Chandler have in this offense?

1,000+ yards. Speed kills.

The SEC secondary's are just as fast or faster than him. Still have to be able to run guys over in this league and in this offense. Tyler Byrd is one of the fastest players on the team but he cant put together the other stuff it takes to be a great WR. Kamara has speed, size and knows how to dish out a hit on the defense. Ty will have to learn play physical and add some size or his speed won't help him much at RB. I'll be curious to see if he's added some weight in the off season and learns how to play more physical. If not he won't be anymore than a change of pace RB and pass catcher. I know Pruitt has said it a hundred times but he wants his RB's to be bigger and physical. Like he said, he wants those big guys who fall forward. Atleast in the Spring and last yr, we haven't seen that from Ty yet. If he's gotten bigger and more physical that could change things, but so far he's nowhere close to the type #1 RB they want. They wouldn't have brought in London or moved Fant to RB to get some size, if they felt confident in the guys who were running the ball last yr.

This isn't a shot at Ty at all, I really like the speed and pass catching he brings at RB. But it's no secret he was recruited as a spread RB and not a power run game.On 3rd or 4th and 1 with 8 men in the box, is he the guy you feel confident in that can run over guys to get that yard?? Right now, absolutely not. Jordan was the more physical of the 2 in the spring. Just a different perspective on the Ty starting at RB discussion. Just based off what JP has said, I don't see Ty being the starter or being our leading rusher. But I've been wrong a million times before.

So he is going to come here and get 150 more yards than he has in any season?

Why do people think guys that were not good at other schools are going to come here and be better than they have ever been in their life?

If anyone eats into his stats it will be Jordan or Banks. London will be a goal line/ short yardage back. Not many yards. He will score some tds though.

He was behind LJ Scott for 3 yrs. None of our RB's would have started at Mich St ahead of him either.

How bout Travis Stephens? He played behind Jamal and Henry for 3 yrs and had less than 800 career yards. His Sr year he finally got his chance and I shouldn't have to tell you what happened. But 12 starts, close to 1500 yards plus the stats in the BCS Championship that didn't count towards yearly stats. As I've told you before, you really shouldn't focus all your attention on just stats. Dive deeper.

Based off your theory, Travis Stephens should have never started or gotten almost 1500 yards. And btw London has more yards his 1st 3 yrs than Travis had his 1st 3. Both were unfortunate to be behind future NFL RB's. But that doesn't mean they can't have great yrs when finally becoming the starter. I look forward to how you twist this and say it's 2 different situations. It's not, other than Travis not being a grad transfer.

Reactions: 1 person
The SEC secondary's are just as fast or faster than him. Still have to be able to run guys over in this league and in this offense. Tyler Byrd is one of the fastest players on the team but he cant put together the other stuff it takes to be a great WR. Kamara has speed, size and knows how to dish out a hit on the defense. Ty will have to learn play physical and add some size or his speed won't help him much at RB. I'll be curious to see if he's added some weight in the off season and learns how to play more physical. If not he won't be anymore than a change of pace RB and pass catcher. I know Pruitt has said it a hundred times but he wants his RB's to be bigger and physical. Like he said, he wants those big guys who fall forward. Atleast in the Spring and last yr, we haven't seen that from Ty yet. If he's gotten bigger and more physical that could change things, but so far he's nowhere close to the type #1 RB they want. They wouldn't have brought in London or moved Fant to RB to get some size, if they felt confident in the guys who were running the ball last yr.

This isn't a shot at Ty at all, I really like the speed and pass catching he brings at RB. But it's no secret he was recruited as a spread RB and not a power run game.On 3rd or 4th and 1 with 8 men in the box, is he the guy you feel confident in that can run over guys to get that yard?? Right now, absolutely not. Jordan was the more physical of the 2 in the spring. Just a different perspective on the Ty starting at RB discussion. Just based off what JP has said, I don't see Ty being the starter or being our leading rusher. But I've been wrong a million times before.

Chandler is faster than Kamara

Two things:

1- Lamarcus Coker Jr.

2- I do NOT miss the read option. or whatever the **** it was called.

Chandler is faster than Kamara

I never said he wasn't. But Kamara has good speed and is physical. Which player would you pick to be your starting RB? Kamara or Ty? In this offense, Ty wouldn't have a chance of beating Kamara out for the starting job. Point was speed doesn't automatically make you a great RB.

Reactions: 2 people
From what I am reading, Ty will be the speedy feature back for run/pass downs and Madre will be the feature back for pounding the rock and wearing down the defense.

Yeah nice post above good points. My money is on him not being the next Travis Stephens.

Oh yea I wouldn't place a penny on him being the next Travis but until a player is put in a situation nobody knows how good or bad he can be. London may never get more than a few snaps a game but nobody knows how things will play out this yr. I guarantee nobody knew that Russell Wilson would have the Sr year he had and become a DB winning QB. Till the yr he transferred he never completed over 58% of his passes and threw a lot of Int's to go along with his TD passes. He transfers and his Sr year he completes 72% of his passes and had 33TD's and only 4 TD's. I've said the same thing about Chryst. He may never start a game here or he could start every game and get us to a bowl. Contrary to the very few poster's, who obviously can predict the future, the others of us have zero idea how things will go this year. That was really my point to my original post about London and Stephens. I hope we have a RB step up like that and could care less which one it is. I have no favorites or boast towards any player.

I hope like a Jonathan Taylor type one.

Dayne was highly overrated.

Dayne was an exceptional physical style RB.

But physical RBs have a short shelf life and don't last long in the pros.

In Dayne's case, Wisconsin used him so much that he was already spent after just one season in the NFL...and didn't last long after that.

From what I am reading, Ty will be the speedy feature back for run/pass downs and Madre will be the feature back for pounding the rock and wearing down the defense.

If I was betting that's what I would put my money on happening. But I suck at betting so it will probably go the exact opposite of what I bet.

Oh yea I wouldn't place a penny on him being the next Travis but until a player is put in a situation nobody knows how good or bad he can be. London may never get more than a few snaps a game but nobody knows how things will play out this yr. I guarantee nobody knew that Russell Wilson would have the Sr year he had and become a DB winning QB. Till the yr he transferred he never completed over 58% of his passes and threw a lot of Int's to go along with his TD passes. He transfers and his Sr year he completes 72% of his passes and had 33TD's and only 4 TD's. I've said the same thing about Chryst. He may never start a game here or he could start every game and get us to a bowl. Contrary to the very few poster's, who obviously can predict the future, the others of us have zero idea how things will go this year. That was really my point to my original post about London and Stephens. I hope we have a RB step up like that and could care less which one it is. I have no favorites or boast towards any player.

It definitely can happen and who knows maybe our luck changes and it happens with London and Chryst.

I am prob a bit biased toward Chandler for no other reason than I like watching the fast guys who can score on any given touch.

Reactions: 2 people
After the o line makes its debut against WVU I might change my mind but for now I'd have to think Chandlers gonna need h back help to get a running lane.

He'll only gather 960 rushing yards. No fault of his own, He will just be forced to share carries. The sole reason he doesn't hit 1500+ yards. Helping is the fact the OL will show just enough improvement to be marginally good but somewhat inconsistent.

19 carries/game at a 4 yard average gets him to 1000 yards with a bowl game.

38 yards/game receiving gets him 500 yards with a bowl game.

1500 yards total offense is doable even spreading carries and receptions around.

19 carries/game at a 4 yard average gets him to 1000 yards with a bowl game.

38 yards/game receiving gets him 500 yards with a bowl game.

1500 yards total offense is doable even spreading carries and receptions around.

I'm not sure Chandler is an every down RB in a physical,pro style offense. He could be in a spread offense, where he would get a lot of rush's on pass/ run options from the QB. Durability will also be a question. He had double digit carries twice last yr, against UK and S.Miss where he had 11 carries for 15 yards. But did go 22-120 against UK. I just don't see him as a workhouse who gets 20-25 rush's and wears down Defense's. He will have to prove me wrong on that. But we won't have a physical and power run game, if he's getting 20 Rushing Attempts a game. And I don't see JP or Helton budging on that. But again who knows at this point, Ty could completely prove me wrong, which is fine by me.

After the o line makes its debut against WVU I might change my mind but for now I'd have to think Chandlers gonna need h back help to get a running lane.

I don't think we will fully know about our OLine against W.Va. Their defense is equally bad in the rush and pass game. No excuse for not dominating them on that side of the ball.

Totally agree, he's never going to be a Ron Dayne bruiser. He however has the tools to be a Travis Simpson or better RB on The Hill IMO if Pruitt and staff get people in front of him that will initiate contact and get in front of defenders. Every block does not need to be a pancake to be successful, just give him a sliver to get through and Chandler can make magic happen IMO..

Travis Simpson?

Edit: Travis Stephens?

If im not mistaken didn't ty lay out some guys last season? Everyone is acting like he's small and doesnt have much power. He is fast enough to knock you down even if he is smaller.

I'm not sure Chandler is an every down RB in a physical,pro style offense. He could be in a spread offense, where he would get a lot of rush's on pass/ run options from the QB. Durability will also be a question. He had double digit carries twice last yr, against UK and S.Miss where he had 11 carries for 15 yards. But did go 22-120 against UK. I just don't see him as a workhouse who gets 20-25 rush's and wears down Defense's. He will have to prove me wrong on that. But we won't have a physical and power run game, if he's getting 20 Rushing Attempts a game. And I don't see JP or Helton budging on that. But again who knows at this point, Ty could completely prove me wrong, which is fine by me.
He won't get 20-25 a game. They will split carries. I could see us running 35ish times a game. They'll split that up for sure.

I think you will be here as well.

He hasn't touched the ball enough in his one season to prove he needs to be more physical. He was under utilized like many under Jones.
I think some just see weight and come to the conclusion hes not or cant be physical enough for this offense. I don't see it.

Chandler is the best RB on this roster IMO. I think at the end of the day Pruitt wants the best football players he has on the field. If at any position that's lighter than optimum on the scale, then so be it.

If im not mistaken didn't ty lay out some guys last season? Everyone is acting like he's small and doesnt have much power. He is fast enough to knock you down even if he is smaller.

You're not mistaken. He's not small. He's well over 200 pounds. He is powerful and he knocked their asses straight off their feet until they were laid flat on the ground on their backs while he continued to run through them/ran them over.

You can see him bulldoze through two on the same play here against Kentucky as one of the first plays on this film:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AmC7B095Cc[/youtube]

Little buddy on the ground thought it made plenty of sense after he went from seeing Ty Chandler barrel straight at him one moment then the next moment saw nothing but the sky and a few stars.

He wasn't gonna get the ball over Kelly in mass. When Kelly had to sit Jones was forced to give it to him in volume. And UTs passing game was a dead give away as to what was coming at that point in the year. As you stated that worked out pretty well in the stat column.

I'm not sold that Helton is going back to 50's in play calling either. I think their identity will be down hill but I also think he will figure out how to get guys in space. It's not like Bama wasnt doing that the last several years with their offense either.

I think you will be here as well.

He hasn't touched the ball enough in his one season to prove he needs to be more physical. He was under utilized like many under Jones.
I think some just see weight and come to the conclusion hes not or cant be physical enough for this offense. I don't see it.

Chandler is the best RB on this roster IMO. I think at the end of the day Pruitt wants the best football players he has on the field. If at any position that's lighter than optimum on the scale, then so be it.

If he hasn't touched it enough to know if he is or isn't physical then he's not touched it enough to prove he's the best RB on the roster. Im not saying he can't be physical, but doubt his size could take the beating a #1 RB takes in this type offense for the whole season. If they were sold on Chandler or the others from Butch's being the physical RB they want, they wouldn't have brought in London to just get garbage PT. Fant wouldn't have been moved either. They aren't hiding the fact they wanna go bigger at RB. London said he wasn't guaranteed anything, but the coach's told him they expect him to come in and play a lot. We don't know who the best RB is yet, especially the best for this offense considering none of our RB's have been the #1 guy in college. If it's Ty, then great or whoever else it is I'm all in on. I don't know if any RB gets enough touch's to hit a 1000, unless they make it impossible to take off the field or we have injuries.

VN Store

Back