What is the purpose of media? All they do is talk bad about UT

An effective and swift solution is to neither read nor listen to the media. That way you'll have nothing to complain about what they say. Try it. It goes something like this:

d2eaf360ab9aaa6d856757a90d7245b1.jpg

I totally agree. This photo works. The fellow in the photo looks remarkably like my former boss. He's a Gator fan.

Put yourself in the shoes of a media member who has no preconceived bias either way, positive or negative, about Tennessee.

Since 2008, Tennessee has the 3rd worst overall record of any SEC team, better than only Kentucky and Vanderbilt. We are 9-41 in games against ranked opponents. We are 8-53 as an underdog, meaning we hardly ever pull upsets. We've played in 5 bowl games since 2008, the fewest of any SEC team. We are 5-25 in the 3:30 CBS game (nationally televised for all to see). Our last top 15 finish was 2007 and our last top 10 finish was 2001.

We haven't spent much time as a ranked team, we hardly ever win (or play in) big meaningful games, and we've lost over 50% of our games overall since 2008. What really is there to say?

They could at least say "Wait till next year" ... That's all we got atm.

The first thing you have to do is separate the national media from the local media. Those national guys -- the Pat Fordes, the Dan Wolkens -- have an agenda, and that is to be as controversial as possible in order to drive page views. That's it. They're biased because they're supposed to be biased. But they rarely, if ever, "break" news. They're not informing us. They're more entertainers than journalists. The local media, the guys who are actually on the UT beat, those are the ones whose writing really matters. But here's what their purpose ISN'T: Their purpose isn't to cheerlead. There are quite a few markets in big-time college football where the local media doesn't get that. But they're doing no one any favors. The media's job is to tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may. It might suck to read it sometimes, but the truth can be a painful thing. When a light shines on the negatives and the problems are out in the open, they can be fixed. When there's no light shining, they can be swept under the rug. Think about it this way: How many young boys in State College might not have their lives shattered today if the local media in Pennsylvania hadn't seen it as its job to protect the mighty Penn State program and everyone associated with it? That's the role of the media: expose stuff, the good and the bad.

Right now there's more bad than good to write about when it comes to UT football. I think the media in the Knoxville market do a pretty good job overall. Even our non-conventional media...compare Brent Hubbs and his site, and the GoVols247 site, to some of the sites that are focused on other major programs within the same Rivals and 247 networks. Those guys in Knoxville are doing their job with integrity. That can't be said for a lot of the others. Myself, I'd rather be informed of the good and bad, even if I don't necessarily like some of it than to just have the writers on this beat waving the orange flags and yelling "rah rah." As for the national guys who want to paint UT in a bad light, piss on them. They don't even believe what they're writing half the time. They're just playing to what they think national perception will be.

Guys, you’re selling us short from a media standpoint.

I mean, it’s a pretty compelling story if you think about it.

I’m talking about a coach that’s mixed up in stupid. I’m talking about a dishonest coach. I’m talking about a crooked coach that turned a once storied program turned into a complete train wreck, and got what was coming to him.

That’s a terrific story. We have newspaper people on the payroll, don’t we?
They might like a story like that.

It’s not personal Sonny. It’s strictly business.

Well they don't really have an express purpose unless you buy into the idea that all media in Knoxville should be a propoganda machine for UT.

To each his own, but I don't think anyone would take the media seriously if they spent the last decade predicting championships every season.

Put yourself in the shoes of a media member who has no preconceived bias either way, positive or negative, about Tennessee.

Since 2008, Tennessee has the 3rd worst overall record of any SEC team, better than only Kentucky and Vanderbilt. We are 9-41 in games against ranked opponents. We are 8-53 as an underdog, meaning we hardly ever pull upsets. We've played in 5 bowl games since 2008, the fewest of any SEC team. We are 5-25 in the 3:30 CBS game (nationally televised for all to see). Our last top 15 finish was 2007 and our last top 10 finish was 2001.

We haven't spent much time as a ranked team, we hardly ever win (or play in) big meaningful games, and we've lost over 50% of our games overall since 2008. What really is there to say?

That's sobering......and depressing

Reactions: photovol
Why not put aside your fuming whine?
Ignore their verbal vomit next time?
By now you ought to know what to expect.
That fact and the truth they tend to neglect.
What's the point of pouting and a constant whine?
I declare it's just as bad or a worse crime.
--WoodsmanVol--

Play it to the tune of a strumming banjo.

The national media is loaded with alumni from schools with larger enrollments, think The Ohio State and Michigan. Because they graduate more students and those schools are perceived to be better schools than UT, rightly or wrongly, they get hired by their buddies already in the media. The inherent discrimination against UT goes back to our winning heritage in the past, our ugly orange color being flashed in their faces when we win, and at the top of the list is the notion that the entire state is nothing but dumb hicks and trash. The only way they can't avoid talking about the program in at least a somewhat positive way is when we force them to by winning consistently against national powerhouses. That hasn't happened lately.

Last edited:
I'm sick of the negativity about UT. What is the media's job besides be up Saban's #$#?

Then stop reading it.

I'm sick of portions of our fanbase constantly whining about how "bad" the media treats us. We've been nationally irrelevant for a good 15 years if not longer now, with a handful of flashes of past glory that were over in a blink. In the past 10 years, Vandy has been to more bowl games than us. Is it negative or simply pointing out the reality of the situation? Do you hold them to this standard for every team?

The national media is loaded with alumni from schools with larger enrollments, think The Ohio State and Michigan. Because they graduate more students and those schools are perceived to be better schools than UT, rightly or wrongly, they get hired by their buddies already in the media. The inherent discrimination against UT goes back to our winning heritage in the past, our ugly orange color being flashed in their faces when we win, and at the top of the list is the notion that the entire state is nothing but dumb hicks and trash. The only way they can't avoid talking about the program in at least a somewhat positive way is when we force them to by winning consistently against national powerhouses. That hasn't happened lately.

Quite a few Tennessee alums in the national sports scene:

--Gene Wojciechowski (ESPN) Class of 79 and still loves the Vols. Very good at what he does too
--Woody Paige (Denver (ESPN, long time w/Denver Post) (mid 60s grad).
--Charles Davis (Fox Sports): Class of 87) . Still a big UT fan and great announcer...DB on the 1985 SEC Champion UT team.
--Paul Finebaum (SEC Network) Class of 78 -- Voice of SEC football

Are there others?

I'm sick of the negativity about UT. What is the media's job besides be up Saban's #$#?
You started a thread to say this?

As far as the “purpose of the (sports) media”, it’s supposed to be to accurately report the goings on of the program, or give editorial opinion, depending on who they are. That said, if we’ve gotten almost exclusive negative coverage the last decade or so, given the state of the program, id say they’ve actually done their jobs fairly well.

We’ve won 9 games the last 2 seasons, our SEC record the decade is beyond abysmal/not even to be believed when you see it on paper.....and not only can we not beat Vanderbilt currently, we can’t even give them a competitive game. What do you expect?

They could say something about the job Fulmer has done since getting here.
and the mens' bball team.

and the softball team.

and the baseball team.

i think mens golf and swimming/diving worht some mention too?

lol.

I agree but a really good team makes a lot of their breaks. I do think we will be much better this year. GBO

Not disparaging you. BUT. This has been said every year since 07 , we did get better with 2 nine win seasons but that was with Butch so dont count.

Reactions: FLVOL_79

Wow! When you see all those awful numbers in one place it’s stunning. Allow me to add 1 more.....since Fulmer was let go, since 2009, we’re something like 25-55 in the SEC. Ugh.

VN Store

Back