What is the earliest memory that you can recall?

I can’t say how old I was, it happened a lot. My grandmother was deathly afraid of storms. Anytime there was a thunder and lightning storm, she would gather my 4 brothers and sisters and make us all lay down with her in a full bed and hug us tightly. Being young, we would all whisper and talk. She would always say to us “hush children” until the storm had passed. That is my earliest memory.

Good topic... got one.

I was 3 years old. We lived in a remote fish camp, off grid. Dad was a commercial fisherman. Me... seemed liked I liked to hang around where they worked. They were off loading 55 gal barrels (open top), and I was running around the truck. Timing was right, as a barrel was being tossed off the truck I was under it, and it went over my head and body, and my leg got between the barrel and ground and my leg was broken. We were 50 miles away from the hospital and I remember a lot of agony and recall being x-rayed in the hospital. Also, I was told years later, that I wore out two casts hobbling around.

I don't know exactly how old I was, approximately 2/3, but I remember going within my grandparents to a church bbq at some old catholic mission for their church. I remember it because it had a bell tower and I watched them pulling the ropes to ring the bells. Also, around the same time I remember my mother buying me my first pet snake. It was a garter snake, but I didn't know that. At that age all I knew of snakes was "rattle snakes will kill you". My mother laid it my lap, I saw it screamed "rattle snake" and tossed it straight up in the air and ran. My mother caught it mid air, and had to spend who knows how long calming me down. I've loved having snakes ever since.

Reactions: joevol33
Interesting topic. My 3 year old granddaughter ask me this morning if she could go out on the deck, sit in my lap and read books. You better believe we can! That's a memory I'll carry forever, I hope she remembers those times as well. One of my first memories as a child was playing in my grandmothers front yard, I was probably 3/4. My grandmother raised me, she was a saint. I never knew her husband / my grandfather. He was a lineman for the local utilities and died from a fall before I was born. The childhood memory etched into my mind was the JFK assignation. I was in first grade, we were let out early. I recall walking home and seeing the flag at half staff. I had no idea what that meant. As I walked into my grandmothers home she was in total tears. I had never seen her cry before, it was a awful site.

Last edited:
Moved from OK to SC when I was around 3. We bought a new house and I remember being outside watching people lay the sod.

Playing in my front yard in Knoxville when I was a little over 2. We lived right behind the White Store on Clinton Hwy.

My back patio growing up was kinda on a hill. For some reason I remember a UPS van coming into our neighborhood and I remember laying down on the back side of that hill and hiding until the van was gone. I don't know why.

I remember as a young child, maybe 3 or 4, going to Sears and smelling the roasted cashews and nuts. I now know that was Sears on Central Ave.

Reactions: joevol33 and Zues1
Can't remember my exact age, but I was tricycle age, so maybe 3ish. I rode down the neighbors drive three different time on my trike and each time the front wheel met the road it would flip and bust my head. I was banned from that drive after the third time.

My son claims to know what color room he was born in. He happens to be right. Don't know if he really knows, or just dumb luck.

My earliest memory is from 1965, I was 2 years and 8 months old. For years, I kept recalling this vivid memory and still do. A woman carrying me in her arms out of the house and looking up into the sky after, what seemed to be, a loud crash. There was this overwhelming feeling of fear and, for whatever reason, I always felt the cause of the loud noise was a plane crash.

16 years later, while sitting around discussing "goofy things" with my sister and mother, I mentioned this memory. My mother said "Oh my God! You remember that?" She went on to explain it was the earthquake that hit Seattle in April,1965. She said she scooped me up and ran out of the house thinking a plane had crashed near by.

Can't remember my exact age, but I was tricycle age, so maybe 3ish. I rode down the neighbors drive three different time on my trike and each time the front wheel met the road it would flip and bust my head. I was banned from that drive after the third time.

My son claims to know what color room he was born in. He happens to be right. Don't know if he really knows, or just dumb luck.
What color was the room? If it was white or beige it might be a lucky guess.

The blizzard in 93, Cleveland TN. I was 3 or 4. Playing in 2 plus feet of snow, exploring all the tunnels our dog and other critters dug in the snow.
Was it in March? In March 13, 1993 we had the biggest snow that my parents have ever seen here in Montgomery. Wonder if it was the same storm.

It was billed as the storm of the century, and yeah it was probably the same one. Fell on March 11th and 12th. The entire eastern half of the US got ****ing slammed. Started out as mostly ice over here in west TN (remains one of the worst ice storms we've ever gotten IIRC), and then got nearly a foot of wet, slushy snow on top of it.

My grandad was a hugger when we visited. He was 6'3" or so. Ex military. Strong. He would crush you. Always looked forward to his excitement opening the door.

He would also lock our legs under his arms and tickle us until we begged to pee. then go back for more.

I also remember going to San Diego at an early age to visit my dads brother. Our only trip there. Sand storm tore up the AC in the 69 Catalina. Never got fixed. Drove out from Atlanta and back. Oddly, the only things I remember on that trip was stopping at the Grand Canyon (not so much the scenery, just stopping), walking down the road with my cousin to get ice cream, and trying to surf on a Styrofoam board. They lived beachfront. Don't remember the drive or anything else.

I couldnt tell you a month. But I remember it hit everywhere. I think it being my first memory is why I like snow so much.
Yep March, on a Friday. Both of us had a parent in the hospital in Florida and didn't get there until Tuesday. Stuck in Chattanooga because I-75 was closed.

I also remember going to San Diego at an early age to visit my dads brother. Our only trip there. Sand storm tore up the AC in the 69 Catalina. Never got fixed. Drove out from Atlanta and back. Oddly, the only things I remember on that trip was stopping at the Grand Canyon (not so much the scenery, just stopping), walking down the road with my cousin to get ice cream, and trying to surf on a Styrofoam board. They lived beachfront. Don't remember the drive or anything else.

Daaaanng, beachfront house in the San Diego area? If they're still there, you got a richass uncle.

It was billed as the storm of the century, and yeah it was probably the same one. Fell on March 11th and 12th. The entire eastern half of the US got ****ing slammed. Started out as mostly ice over here in west TN (remains one of the worst ice storms we've ever gotten IIRC), and then got nearly a foot of wet, slushy snow on top of it.
We had a metal awning over our back porch and it had so much snow on it it collapsed.

My earliest memory is from 1965, I was 2 years and 8 months old. For years, I kept recalling this vivid memory and still do. A woman carrying me in her arms out of the house and looking up into the sky after, what seemed to be, a loud crash. There was this overwhelming feeling of fear and, for whatever reason, I always felt the cause of the loud noise was a plane crash.

16 years later, while sitting around discussing "goofy things" with my sister and mother, I mentioned this memory. My mother said "Oh my God! You remember that?" She went on to explain it was the earthquake that hit Seattle in April,1965. She said she scooped me up and ran out of the house thinking a plane had crashed near by.
That's crazy

Yep March, on a Friday. Both of us had a parent in the hospital in Florida and didn't get there until Tuesday. Stuck in Chattanooga because I-75 was closed.
I still remember snow on the ground when we were passing Macon.

VN Store

Back