What is the best way out of jury duty?

Call them and tell them you just recently moved to a different county. That's what I did, except I wasnt actually lying. They didn't ask any questions though, just said okay.

This is the first time I've ever been called and I'm supposed to appear at the City-County building on August 19th. My manager will make me burn vacation time to go and I only have two weeks a year. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tell them you believe in jury nullification. They hate that.

Reactions: Toujours Pret
I've been called 3 times here in NC, and of those 3, I was selected to go up into the court room one time. Then the judge called my number to go sit in the jury box. I couldn't believe it. I was thinking to myself isn't this some chit! The reason I was thinking that was I wanted to be there but knew they weren't going to make me stay. When asked by the judge if there is any reason I shouldn't be there, I told him I was scheduled for a gamma knife procedure the next day in the hospital. The judge looked at the 2 lawyers and then back at me and said, "You're excused, good luck tomorrow." With that I got up and walked out of the courtroom. That was 11 years ago.

You'll serve and like it mister.
6632_16_12-e1505848298397.jpg

Reactions: JCHateSteve
Just serve then. I have and I took it very seriously. It's an eye opening experience when you are on a jury. It is extremely hard to get 12 people to agree on anything.
I agree with this. They need good thoughtful people on a jury -- but all of them won't be.

Crack a couple of farts in the jury box during selection. When they ask you if there is any reason you can't serve tell them you have irritable bowel syndrome and cannot sit for long periods of time. Punctuate with an additional fart.

On a conspiracy note, the only time I have ever been summoned for jury duty was 3 days after saying outloud "I've never been summoned for jury duty." To this day I won't even mention it or how long it has been, but after this post I fully expect the letter in the mail this week.

If you own your own company that offers 24 hour a day services say for computer technicians, nursing/hospice care(outside of a hospital setting), etc. and missing several days to weeks of that service could be detrimental to your business then you will very likely be excused.

Aside from just serving if at all possible (it's the right thing to do), my back up plan was to ask how many volts are used cause I didn't want them to go too fast.

....(it's the right thing to do), my back up....

I wholeheartedly disagree. My "civic duty" is going about my day, minding my own business, not breaking the laws and staying out of jail so as not to drag people like the OP or others into my bullshlt.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
If you own your own company that offers 24 hour a day services say for computer technicians, nursing/hospice care(outside of a hospital setting), etc. and missing several days to weeks of that service could be detrimental to your business then you will very likely be excused.

Not necessarily true anymore. That used to be a way, along with being a teacher. But most courts want a nice cross section of the community, and you can’t get excused by the court just for owning your own business.

I wholeheartedly disagree. My "civic duty" is going about my day, minding my own business, not breaking the laws and staying out of jail so as not to drag people like the OP or others into my bullshlt.

So much for innocent until proven guilty. You’ve already made up your mind.

Without jurors our legal system does not function. And not everyone is there because they broke the law. Civil trials require juries as well to settle disputes and determine damages. We have a great legal system, many countries have a kangaroo court that operates as an enforcement wing of the current regime. In 20 years of eligibility I’ve been called once. That seems like a very small price for what we get in return.

That would be a the logical first civic duty. The 2nd would be to serve on a jury and screw the chaps that caused you to be there.

Last time I had jury duty, the very first juror said serving would impact her job. The judge asked "What is your profession?". She replied, "I work at Hardee's".

Don't know about TN, but in TX, I think you cannot be penalized by your employer for missing work. Also, if you are a student or you have a young child at home you can be excused. There were some people that just wanted out this time, they had to go before the judge to say why, and she let them all be excused. The problem is, the next time they are called they have to serve. An officer did remind us, there were about 300 hundred of us there, that she was glad we showed up, otherwise she would have issued a warrant for our arrest. They take it very seriously.

would be a quick way to get cut from the pool though

It would be, but he's bothered by having to go in the first place. I have seen judges consider requiring a person to stay and watch after providing silly answers that are meant to get out of it.

Don't know about TN, but in TX, I think you cannot be penalized by your employer for missing work. Also, if you are a student or you have a young child at home you can be excused. There were some people that just wanted out this time, they had to go before the judge to say why, and she let them all be excused. The problem is, the next time they are called they have to serve. An officer did remind us, there were about 300 hundred of us there, that she was glad we showed up, otherwise she would have issued a warrant for our arrest. They take it very seriously.

Same in TN and must be compensated as long as the company employs more than 5 people.

The student is an interesting one, but having a young child is not automatic at all. Many people have young kids. In my most recent trial, the judge made accommodations for a nursing mother, which is the correct thing to do.

Not necessarily true anymore. That used to be a way, along with being a teacher. But most courts want a nice cross section of the community, and you can’t get excused by the court just for owning your own business.

It still works. The key is to show up early though and be one of the first to present your request for excuse because there will be 75 other people trying to do the same thing.

This is the first time I've ever been called and I'm supposed to appear at the City-County building on August 19th. My manager will make me burn vacation time to go and I only have two weeks a year. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I got out because the case was about an accident injury claim in which the injured person was recommended a doctor to use by her attorney. When we were asked if this was an issue for us I was honest and told them this made me feel more doubtful about the claim. They struck me.

Just make sure you are close friends of the accused.

That actually brings up a good tactic. Pay attention when they mention the defendant's name so that when you get called up, you mutter a low key and familiar "Hey, Larry" to the defendant as you pass, like you know him. Prosecutor will spot this and ask if you are acquainted, at which point you stammer uncomfortably and truthfully say no. Then he dismisses you.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDad
That actually brings up a good tactic. Pay attention when they mention the defendant's name so that when you get called up, you mutter a low key and familiar "Hey, Larry" to the defendant as you pass, like you know him. Prosecutor will spot this and act if you are acquainted, at which point you stammer uncomfortably and truthfully say no. Then he dismisses you.
I was called to serve a few years ago. I knew the accused very well. I was dismissed and she was found not guilty. Win-win

VN Store

Back