What is the best way out of jury duty?

BowlBrother85

1 star recruit
This is the first time I've ever been called and I'm supposed to appear at the City-County building on August 19th. My manager will make me burn vacation time to go and I only have two weeks a year. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
This is the first time I've ever been called and I'm supposed to appear at the City-County building on August 15th. My manager will make me burn vacation time to go and I only have two weeks a year. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I could tell you what I did, but ……………..naaaah.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
When they start choosing jurors, tell them that you think that the defendants wouldn't be there if they weren't guilty. The defense will kick you off. Or, tell them you are friends with some of the defendant's family members, and you don't feel like you can convict if it means losing your friends. The prosecution will boot you.

This is the first time I've ever been called and I'm supposed to appear at the City-County building on August 19th. My manager will make me burn vacation time to go and I only have two weeks a year. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
What state are you in? I'm pretty sure that's Illegal in Tennessee.

What state are you in? I'm pretty sure that's Illegal in Tennessee.
I'm in Knoxville. I should clarify that I just got this notice in the mail today and I have not verified that. I made that assumption on my own (but that was probably wrong of me), because my branch manager (I work for a First Tennessee Bank branch in west Knoxville) is kind of a jerk and has given me a hard time in the past about when I take time off... Time in between Memorial Day and Labor Day is usually out (even after my sister died). I don't know much about the law, but will look into it. Thanks for the response.

I'm in Knoxville. I should clarify that I just got this notice in the mail today and I have not verified that. I made that assumption on my own (but that was probably wrong of me), because my branch manager (I work for a First Tennessee Bank branch in west Knoxville) is kind of a jerk and has given me a hard time in the past about when I take time off... Time in between Memorial Day and Labor Day is usually out (even after my sister died). I don't know much about the law, but will look into it. Thanks for the response.
No problem. Your boss ain't gonna win many popularity contests.

They can’t make you take PTO for jury duty. At most you surrender your jury pay and they pay you for those days. Our company had that policy and I didn’t have to turn in my $117 for nine days of boredom.

I would add you can be put in a jury pool and not picked for trial. You could also be put on a trial that gets settled in a day or before you even report and that’s the end of your service. In voir dire you take an oath to tell the truth to the attorneys questions so I wouldn’t go making dumb or outlandish statements as you’ll be doing it in front of 50 people that might know you, several attorneys and a judge.

They can’t make you take PTO for jury duty. At most you surrender your jury pay and they pay you for those days. Our company had that policy and I didn’t have to turn in my $117 for nine days of boredom.

I would add you can be put in a jury pool and not picked for trial. You could also be put on a trial that gets settled in a day or before you even report and that’s the end of your service. In voir dire you take an oath to tell the truth to the attorneys questions so I wouldn’t go making dumb or outlandish statements as you’ll be doing it in front of 50 people that might know you, several attorneys and a judge.
Good post... and in all seriousness, I can't lie. I work with the public and it could really come back to bite me if I was caught lying to the court or implied that I wouldn't be a fair and honest juror.

Reactions: malinoisvol
Good post... and in all seriousness, I can't lie. I work with the public and it could really come back to bite me if I was caught lying to the court or implied that I wouldn't be a fair and honest juror.
Just serve then. I have and I took it very seriously. It's an eye opening experience when you are on a jury. It is extremely hard to get 12 people to agree on anything.

When an attorney asks you a question during the voir dire, be slightly obtuse and obstinate. For example, if they ask "What does beyond a reasonable doubt mean to you?," you could respond with "I don't know, yet" or "It depends on the case you present." The response that gets you labelled as a kook is "It doesn't matter. When I get in the jury room, I will the decision I believe to be correct." Also, you could dress in western wear - WWE-type belt buckle, boots, and western shirt. Nothing says "Hang'em high" to a defense attorney like western wear.
On a side note, it sounds like you need to start looking for a new job.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
Oh, I forgot this one. The last time I appeared for jury duty, they select a "gentleman" in front of me. He stood up and yelled "S***!" He was not selected for jury duty. The judge had him detained in the courtroom. Lucky for him that the judge did not hold him for contempt.

Reactions: malinoisvol
Tell them you don't subscribe to man made constructs of "right and wrong". Make sure to use both hands and do the "finger quotes" when saying right and wrong.

Reactions: FallCreekVols
I don't think that's legal, to make you burn PTO for jury duty. I actually recommend going through with it, if you can.
I always hope to be dismissed from the jury pool, but I did get selected once. I made the most of it and was even the jury foreman. It was a really interesting experience. I'm glad I have that memory.

I served once in my small town in GA. Poaching case, so only 6 jurors. I was in and out in half a day and done. Poor selectees around me got assigned to the murder case and were there for weeks. I'm a hunter, outdoorsman, and sportsman about it all. Poachers are scum. I knew he did it. But, the prosecution just didn't have the evidence they needed, so I went with the law and not my gut. It's a great experience. Everyone should serve when called.

VN Store

Back