What is Huepel’s worth to you?

KingtUT

I reign supreme!
Regardless of whether your worried about him leaving or not, what should UT pay him just to keep him happy and not looking? Has he earned a raise based of this years performance? Just curious what you think he's worth with all these big contracts getting signed. 5,6,7,8 million?? For reference, Kentucky is paying Stoops 5.3 million. While i think the money these guys make is ridiculous, I feel like he deserves a raise based on performance and where his pay currently ranks in the SEC.

Last edited:
Reactions: savannahfan
Regardless of whether your worried about him leaving or not, what should UT pay him just to keep him happy and not looking? Has he earned a raise based of this years performance? Just curious what you think he's worth with all these big contracts getting signed. 5,6,7,8 million?? For reference, Kentucky is paying Stoops 5.3 million. While i think the money these guys make is ridiculous, I feel like he deserves a raise based on performance and where his pay currently ranks in the SEC.

Given the potential leverage that he has at the moment, if OU were to come calling, then his worth is inflated due to the situation. Now, that would inevitably mean that we may have to overpay for him, in order to avoid a two fold problem (1) the egg on our face - and the reputational damage - that allowing our coach to be poached by another P5 school would bring; and (2) the need to conduct another coaching search on such short notice.

The fanbase's psyche cannot handle another promising first year coach bolting for a job that is only marginally better from a historical perspective than Tennessee.

We currently only pay more than Vandy, S.Car, and Arkansas. Is that where we want to be? I can easily see him getting a raise to 5.5 to 6 mil. And I think hes worth it. Jmo. What i really want to see is an insane buyout to go along with a raise.

Coaches salaries, across the nation, have gotten to the point to where it is just ridiculous! I get it, it is capitalism and people should go where they make the most money. For the record I agree with this principle. However, college presidents should get together and set up a salary scale for athletics.
It is to the point to where there needs to be checks and balances to this craziness. Sooner, rather than later, schools are going to run out of booster money!

We currently only pay more than Vandy, S.Car, and Arkansas. Is that where we want to be? I can easily see him getting a raise to 5.5 to 6 mil. And I think hes worth it. Jmo

I agree with this. We got him for cheap, but to my understanding he has a very secure contract. So, it's possible that he sacrificed some of the sticker price for the added buy-out (if the university were to terminate him) and the length on the contract (which I believe was 6 years).

Still, he's worth more than what we are paying him presently.

Also, Pittman absolutely bet on himself taking a lot less on the base salary, and instead backloading his deal with incentives. It's honestly something I've been saying that schools should do for some time now. Harbaugh did it this year, and if he makes the playoffs, he will make back almost all of the base salary that he allowed to be reduced. I feel like reducing the failure money, lowering the salaries, and giving the coaches more incentive to produce could garner overachievement. (It could also incentivize rampant cheating, lol).

Just the change in culture he has implemented in the past 12 months is amazing. Put on top of that outperforming the expectation for the year and his ability to show 1. in-season player development, and 2. ability to make the hard decision (change QB) when warranted. I believe we must retain him for the stability of the program as well....another coaching search for UT and might as well shut down the program....do not think we would recover another one-and-done coach.

To myself personally?

He gets my gratitude for making the Vols enjoyable to watch again.

What should the UTAD do?

Maybe throw out a salary bump to put him in top 1/4 of SEC with no extension. Put him in Stoops territory overall.

Reactions: bpalmer28
He's worth 7-5 market value. He turned around a program that had little expectations and made Tennessee football exciting again and didn't need a slogan, gimmick or McDonalds bags to do it. He did it on the field. With that said, he lost to our biggest rivals in Florida, UGA and Bama had he won 1 of those games then maybe a fair question of worth, but right now his contract is good. He has the keys to 100K stadium, plays in the SEC, at a Top 10 all time program etc. He has a chance to now be the guy at Tennessee go earn what you want.

We currently only pay more than Vandy, S.Car, and Arkansas. Is that where we want to be? I can easily see him getting a raise to 5.5 to 6 mil. And I think hes worth it. Jmo. What i really want to see is an insane buyout to go along with a raise.

Let's not forget his staff. We should not let them be "poached" either. The only way to let them get away is if they get a big promotion.

305f7n.jpg

I don’t pay him, so it doesn’t affect me at all.

Asked the same question if one of the other threads.

I'd say $6M tops until he proves that he can recruit. Until then his ceiling is likely 9 wins, which is SOLID, and good enough to keep the job in my opinion... but not good enough to earn him more than $6M. JMO.

Reactions: KingtUT
He's worth 7-5 market value. He turned around a program that had little expectations and made Tennessee football exciting again and didn't need a slogan, gimmick or McDonalds bags to do it. He did it on the field. With that said, he lost to our biggest rivals in Florida, UGA and Bama had he won 1 of those games then maybe a fair question of worth, but right now his contract is good. He has the keys to 100K stadium, plays in the SEC, at a Top 10 all time program etc. He has a chance to now be the guy at Tennessee go earn what you want.
I'm sure AD White has mentioned the huge upside CJH has at UT. Huepel doesn't wear his emotions on his sleeve either and he's always mostly composed. I recall him asking the fan-base to pack the house and we responded well. I think he's a genuine country boy, down to earth, and feels appreciated here. He's got enough sense to know where his bread is buttered at.

Its never gonna happen but id like to see his pay based on performance. Maybe a 5.5 million base with bonuses based on wins starting at 9 wins. 9 wins gets extra 500k, 10 wins gets 1 mil, 11 gets 2 mil, 12 gets 3 mil. Other bonuses for bowl games, etc. Going 12-0 he would make 9 mil. Something like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: bpalmer28
Just the change in culture he has implemented in the past 12 months is amazing. Put on top of that outperforming the expectation for the year and his ability to show 1. in-season player development, and 2. ability to make the hard decision (change QB) when warranted. I believe we must retain him for the stability of the program as well....another coaching search for UT and might as well shut down the program....do not think we would recover another one-and-done coach.
I tend to agree, UNLESS, we could turn around within 48 hours and hire someone like John Harbaugh, Kliff Kingsbury, or Urban Meyer.

VN Store

Back