What Is Going On In Women's Basketball

teacherdean

KJH's former team,Missouri State beat University of Minnesota by 11 points, Texas barely survived against Lubbock Christian, ND had a heck of a time beating Fordham by 5 points, Missouri almost lost to Western Illinois, finally beating them in overtime and of course the Lady Vols had their issues against ETSU. Each of these Power Five teams have either injuries, or they are in the process of trying to find the right combinations. At one time each of these Power Five teams would have beaten most non-Power Five foes easily, even with issues. Coaching and talent has improved, at many non-Power Five schools. Also there are many good athletes who are not consider 5 Stars because many do not have access to AAU summer programs and many are fly under the radar.

There are always a lot of screwy scores in the first week or two. Minn was overranked to begin with, and Missouri State has been on an upward trajectory. Notre Dame lost their entire starting five to the WNBA, and then this year's center went down with an injury in the Fordham game. A lot of other teams have had their rosters reshuffled due to the transfer portal. Lots of contributing factors.

Missouri State beating Minnesota is not too big of an upset.

I would say it wasn’t even an upset at all. Missouri State returned basically everyone but Gitzen and Coach Harper from their Sweet 16 team last season. Minnesota wasn’t even in the tournament.

They’re getting a lot of hype because Whalen is their coach, but it’s going to take her a few years. She’s also never run a program so it’s entirely possible she flops as a HC. Being a legendary player doesn’t always translate to being a legendary coach.

KJH's former team,Missouri State beat University of Minnesota by 11 points, Texas barely survived against Lubbock Christian, ND had a heck of a time beating Fordham by 5 points, Missouri almost lost to Western Illinois, finally beating them in overtime and of course the Lady Vols had their issues against ETSU. Each of these Power Five teams have either injuries, or they are in the process of trying to find the right combinations. At one time each of these Power Five teams would have beaten most non-Power Five foes easily, even with issues. Coaching and talent has improved, at many non-Power Five schools. Also there are many good athletes who are not consider 5 Stars because many do not have access to AAU summer programs and many are fly under the radar.
There are many good "basketball players" who are not 5 star athletes. The Lady Vols have some 5 star athletes who are not 5 star basketball players.

Those are all logical reasons, but don’t forget emotion, desire, energy, momentum. If your game, which you are expected to win, is the other team’s Super Bowl, anything can happen.

Lazy college coaches! I realize that during their seasons it’s also the HS season and even tho it might be hard most coaches are not going and watching potential recruits playing for their maybe not stacked HS team! Instead opting to just watch them play during the summer on their always stacked AAU team! Hard to really see how they can play thru adversity! So the coaches are depending on the $ grabbing scouting services and just a couple so called exposure events to actually see a kid play! In truth the lower levels of AAU is where the better fundamental ball is being played! Thus the P5 teams are recruiting the top athletes the smaller schools recruit the basketball players! Just continue to watch the P5 conferences play you will see lots of wild bad Basketball being played! Our last 2 games are examples!

Reactions: stllvf and Hoosier
Thus the P5 teams are recruiting the top athletes the smaller schools recruit the basketball players!
you said a mouthful there --- I still watch my LVs every chance I get, but frankly, I enjoy watching my local NAIA teams and teams like Belmont, Butler, and Missouri State more than most P5 teams

Reactions: PG1
you said a mouthful there --- I still watch my LVs every chance I get, but frankly, I enjoy watching my local NAIA teams and teams like Belmont, Butler, and Missouri State more than most P5 teams
I do to! I attend lots of NAIA games! Just better overall ball to watch!

Lazy college coaches! I realize that during their seasons it’s also the HS season and even tho it might be hard most coaches are not going and watching potential recruits playing for their maybe not stacked HS team! Instead opting to just watch them play during the summer on their always stacked AAU team! Hard to really see how they can play thru adversity! So the coaches are depending on the $ grabbing scouting services and just a couple so called exposure events to actually see a kid play! In truth the lower levels of AAU is where the better fundamental ball is being played! Thus the P5 teams are recruiting the top athletes the smaller schools recruit the basketball players! Just continue to watch the P5 conferences play you will see lots of wild bad Basketball being played! Our last 2 games are examples!

I don't know...I see a lot of top notch basketball players AND athletes playing at the top tier schools. Players like Cox or Ionescu were highly ranked for a reason. I think that college coaches need to pay more attention to those recruits that are both skilled and athletic, and not so much on the pure athlete that they hope they can teach basketball fundamentals to. Tennessee has fallen prey to this far too often in the past with some of their targets.

I don't know...I see a lot of top notch basketball players AND athletes playing at the top tier schools. Players like Cox or Ionescu were highly ranked for a reason. I think that college coaches need to pay more attention to those recruits that are both skilled and athletic, and not so much on the pure athlete that they hope they can teach basketball fundamentals to. Tennessee has fallen prey to this far too often in the past with some of their targets.

There are now many more "topnotch" players than in the past. So many that the top 5 schools can't use them all. "Mining the high school teams off the beaten path is a hard task without help. Help is the key, coach K or any coach for that matter need an "in" with as many high school coaches as they can get (that will report on as many potential next level players as they see, not just their own). They should also "mine" local fans (of knowledge) and maybe an unnoticed group, the local radio announcers. Their are ways out there to "find" "the ones", programs just have to use the less than easy path to find them.

ND still has muffett

we will see their Muffett and raise one Kellie ;)

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: NeedOrange
There are now many more "topnotch" players than in the past. So many that the top 5 schools can't use them all. "Mining the high school teams off the beaten path is a hard task without help. Help is the key, coach K or any coach for that matter need an "in" with as many high school coaches as they can get (that will report on as many potential next level players as they see, not just their own). They should also "mine" local fans (of knowledge) and maybe an unnoticed group, the local radio announcers. Their are ways out there to "find" "the ones", programs just have to use the less than easy path to find them.
I would think all any coach would need to do is start a thread on this forum requesting information about possible prospects complete with analysis of strengths and weakness. Would save them a lot of time and travel.

Christian Simmons, Alex Fuller’s husband, is the player development coach for TN Flight and I think he was the one who put the staff on Tess Darby. Brandon Clay Scouting was checking out the Tennessee/Notre Dame game for 2021 recruits. He said there were several elite players in that class that were high on the Lady Vols

So called AAU coaches and people who call themselves trainers are a big problem with women’s basketball! Just go to any of these showcase events and see all these kids playing and you will see lots of athletes but very very few basketball players! When there are exposure events that have 6th,7th and 8th graders there is a problem! Too many games and not enough fundamentals!

VN Store

Back