What Is a "Real" Conservative?

Anyone who doesn't vote dem = conservative. Even if you love drugs, abortions, and satan.

Anyone who isnt an ally to the oppressed people flavor of the week = conservative

Anyone who doesn't think your race is a handicap and that because of it you need to be coddled through your life = conservative

Ted is fun. You just don't like him because he has principles.

And I guess you didn't get the kudos. I get it that it was a joke Cletus.

I'm sorry I joked about your sugar daddy, you clearly aren't taking it well.

The same Ted that admitted to *****ing his pants and doing meth to dodge the draft (what I was referencing earlier). Did he actually do it? He said he did but who knows for sure. He was also quoted as saying that he wanted to "teach those stupid bastards in the military a lesson"

Yeah, such a principled guy. Pretty sure his principles lately are getting paid to be a conservative caricature, lol

Either way, this has gone way too far. One offhand joke comment twisted you up so much that the thread is now derailed. I'll make up for it on my end by typing up a serious response to this thread later today.

I'm sorry I joked about your sugar daddy, you clearly aren't taking it well.

The same Ted that admitted to *****ing his pants and doing meth to dodge the draft (what I was referencing earlier). Did he actually do it? He said he did but who knows for sure. He was also quoted as saying that he wanted to "teach those stupid bastards in the military a lesson"

Yeah, such a principled guy. Pretty sure his principles lately are getting paid to be a conservative caricature, lol

Either way, this has gone way too far. One offhand joke comment twisted you up so much that the thread is now derailed. I'll make up for it on my end by typing up a serious response to this thread later today.
link please

I'll answer the OP from my own personal perspective. To arrive at where I am at now, I think I have to look at how I got here.

As a kid, I didn't really care much about politics. My beliefs weren't really grounded in anything and they ran the gamut of liberal to conservative. I remember being like 16 and someone asked me if gays should be allowed go marry and I said no, why should they?

A couple years later I asked myself why I believed that, and without any religious beliefs to speak of, I guess I was just parroting something I heard. At this time in my life conservatives and liberals (Or in my mind, republicans and democrats. Liberal versus conservative didn't really mean anything to me) were caricatures. All republicans were grumpy, old, religious white people who wanted to make big companies rich while *****ing on the little guys, all while enforcing their religious beliefs on us. All democrats were slimey, lying charlatans that race baited for votes and wanted to raise our taxes.

This is around when I turned 18 and could register to vote, so I decided to actually do some research on all things conservative vs liberal and up my political knowledge which up to that point was admittedly severely lacking. I ended up registering as a Republican in 2008.

Stay tuned for part 2 of MP's highly anticipated (just play along) political journey and the development of his ideals.

I'll answer the OP from my own personal perspective. To arrive at where I am at now, I think I have to look at how I got here.

As a kid, I didn't really care much about politics. My beliefs weren't really grounded in anything and they ran the gamut of liberal to conservative. I remember being like 16 and someone asked me if gays should be allowed go marry and I said no, why should they?

A couple years later I asked myself why I believed that, and without any religious beliefs to speak of, I guess I was just parroting something I heard. At this time in my life conservatives and liberals (Or in my mind, republicans and democrats. Liberal versus conservative didn't really mean anything to me) were caricatures. All republicans were grumpy, old, religious white people who wanted to make big companies rich while *****ing on the little guys, all while enforcing their religious beliefs on us. All democrats were slimey, lying charlatans that race baited for votes and wanted to raise our taxes.

This is around when I turned 18 and could register to vote, so I decided to actually do some research on all things conservative vs liberal and up my political knowledge which up to that point was admittedly severely lacking. I ended up registering as a Republican in 2008.

Stay tuned for part 2 of MP's highly anticipated (just play along) political journey and the development of his ideals.
giphy.gif

And I'm afraid the Democrats' marketing efforts have been rather effective in creating that perception. The only demographic group Republicans consistently outperform Democrats in is white males. That isn't a political statement and I'm not drawing a conclusion from it - it's just a fact.

As monumental as 2016 was, I really do think it was a temporary bump (huge bump) in the road for Democrats. They really do have future demographics working for them, and younger people are growing up in a more diverse, more multi-cultural society that Republicans can be caricatured as being racists in.
When one party demonizes a group based on race and gender they probably wont get too many of their non beta votes..

Part 2: I actually began to read about and understand the differences between fiscal and social conservatism and thought that, removing the in my mind ridiculous morality enforcement stuff, I sided more with conservatives as a whole.

Of course, those were my naive traditional understandings of the parties, it's obvious now that there aren't any fiscal conservatives, there's two sides of the same coin pretending that they aren't all the same. Now, what is a conservative? What is a liberal? Classical liberal is way different than current liberal. Classic conservative is way different than neocon. The way this country is right now, it's like it's not even liberal versus conservative anymore, it's pro-Trump versus anti-trump deep down.

I am disillusioned by all of it at this point and just want the government to take the least from me possible and be as noninvasive as possible in my life. I'll support someone that i think will advance those interests.There are a few people out there that I think have good ideas and might actually have decent intentions, but the majority are snakes, cons and pawns.

I can give you a textbook definition of a conservative or a liberal but in all practicality the terms are utilized so nebulously over time, often with contradictory views. I think I've just come to the conclusion that labels are ****ing stupid.

Part 2: I actually began to read about and understand the differences between fiscal and social conservatism and thought that, removing the in my mind ridiculous morality enforcement stuff, I sided more with conservatives as a whole.

Of course, those were my naive traditional understandings of the parties, it's obvious now that there aren't any fiscal conservatives, there's two sides of the same coin pretending that they aren't all the same. Now, what is a conservative? What is a liberal? Classical liberal is way different than current liberal. Classic conservative is way different than neocon. The way this country is right now, it's like it's not even liberal versus conservative anymore, it's pro-Trump versus anti-trump deep down.

I am disillusioned by all of it at this point and just want the government to take the least from me possible and be as noninvasive as possible in my life. I'll support someone that i think will advance those interests.There are a few people out there that I think have good ideas and might actually have decent intentions, but the majority are snakes, cons and pawns.

I can give you a textbook definition of a conservative or a liberal but in all practicality the terms are utilized so nebulously over time, often with contradictory views. I think I've just come to the conclusion that labels are ****ing stupid.

Quoted to simply say, "**** the gators."

Reactions: hog88
Obama grew the government at a rate slower than W (and in a recession).

What is the unit of measure here? Total spending? Spending percent to GDP? Something else? I'm not looking to argue the point or derail the thread. I heard something the other day about the dollar index that piqued my curiosity, and I have been looking to find a correlation to government spending.

Bump

What is the unit of measure here? Total spending? Spending percent to GDP? Something else? I'm not looking to argue the point or derail the thread. I heard something the other day about the dollar index that piqued my curiosity, and I have been looking to find a correlation to government spending.

"Rate" implies percentage growth. Obama added a lot more debt, but it was already at $10T, so he didn't double it like Bush did

"Rate" implies percentage growth. Obama added a lot more debt, but it was already at $10T, so he didn't double it like Bush did

Understood. So are you looking strictly at national debt, or total government spending when you say Obama grew the government at a slower rate? If total spending, are you factoring percent to gdp?

More specifically I am trying to find a correlation between the strength of the dollar and government spending. I saw this being discussed on CNBC a couple of days ago, and I had never given this much thought.

I know when the dollar has relative strength, it negatively impacts US exports (domestic goods are more expensive when exported abroad), and it positively impacts imports.

I'm several years removed from econ, but I wonder what, if any, impact this would have on federal spending. If one administration spends more dollars than another, are the dollars necessarily equal? I'm not arguing a Bush v Obama angle, I'm looking more for historical context on this.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back