What if.....

My 2 cents...TIFWIW

if we had a Bama type OL, it may have translated to two more wins last year. But getting blown out by Missouri and Vandy was not the OL. It was a poor performance on D. JG must absolutely play his best EVERY game. Great QB’s don’t fade away and put up duds. Yes a good OL would help, but we’ve had a decent sample size of JG. My take, he’s a slightly above average QB.

A Bama quality O-line would give him a ground attack, which opens up play action downfield opportunities. It also slows the pass rush, reducing turnovers via forced, tipped and hurried throws. Not to mention back-side sacks that cause fumbles. I'd say JG is an average QB. With all this in place, he'd be an above average QB/Game manager.

Reactions: volsdeepnsc
He was pretty smart with the football last year, just held it too long a bunch. Not as mobile as you would of thought he'd be. Oline isn't going to protect perfectly every down even with a better line. I think Chaney will help scheme it a little better. We got repetitive with calls last year..

Reactions: Volanta and kbear01
If JG had a great offensive line he would be quite a bit better. He has shown that if he has time he will find the open guy. Sure, some of the sacks are on him, but alot are on the poor line performance. Simple things like if you see the safety sneaking up to cover a receiver then it is likely a corner blitz is coming need to be learned by him. The one thing he lacks that can't be taught is the sixth sense type of awareness that some guys have. Like they have eyes in the back of their head. When he is cocking that arm back and a defender is coming from his blind side he will get smashed where as some QB's can "feel" that pressure and avoid it. You either have that or you don't. Overall he is a good passer, but needs more help from others around him.

Reactions: Volanta
I think JG is a B- right now. I think he has all the tools, but you take that many shots and you're going to get rattled. It's between the ears for that guy. With a good OL he could be an A quarterback. So much goes into making a QB good at this level.

giphy.gif

If you have to debate it and talk about it this much, he’s not a good qb. All the “what if” questions continue to prove that. If he was the qb at bama he’d be a game manager like all of them before tua.
And not as good at as most of them were. Remember he hesitates, sorta like not mentally fast enough. Not nice to say, but that is just the way it looks to me.

VN Store

Back