What Happened to the Affordable Pickup Truck?

Considering the energy density of sunlight and the conversation efficiency of solar panels, that’s kind of like filling a swimming pool with a tablespoon I would think? (Not sure but wondering)
I've always heard the same thing. Solar farms are popping up all over South GA though and I've wondered how much energy they really create. The government subsidies have to be substantial though for all the farmland that's being converted.
He hit the key point... "energy density". There is only a certain amount of energy that we receive from the sun per unit area. Then you look at how many acres of solar panels you need to generate 1 MW (about the size of a nuclear generator), and you are talking about thousands of acres being used for solar vs hundreds for an old conventional nuke station. But now with newer nuclear technology, they can build modular stations on around 50 acres.

Reactions: Wireless1
He hit the key point... "energy density". There is only a certain amount of energy that we receive from the sun per unit area. Then you look at how many acres of solar panels you need to generate 1 MW (about the size of a nuclear generator), and you are talking about thousands of acres being used for solar vs hundreds for an old conventional nuke station. But now with newer nuclear technology, they can build modular stations on around 50 acres.
If your concern is the land used to place the solar panels, then how do you resolve the panels being placed on land already in use such as home roof tops, industrial building rooftops, and parking lots? There’s so much available space to use that is already developed that it doesn’t support an argument of “it uses too much land”

If your concern is the land used to place the solar panels, then how do you resolve the panels being placed on land already in use such as home roof tops, industrial building rooftops, and parking lots? There’s so much available space to use that is already developed that it doesn’t support an argument of “it uses too much land”
Well obviously that is totally different.

Ford Stops Orders For $20,000 Pickup Until Summer 2023 Due To Overwhelming Demand | ZeroHedge

When demand is so overwhelming that you have to stop taking pre-orders, that's usually a good sign - even when you're battling a supply chain crisis.

This was the case with Ford's new Maverick pickup truck which, priced at $20,000, has attracted so much demand that the automaker has been forced to stop taking orders until 2023.

With auto prices skyrocketing over the last 18 months, the Wall Street Journal reports that the demand is a surefire sign that customers are "hungry for more-affordable options" in the auto market.

Ford Stops Orders For $20,000 Pickup Until Summer 2023 Due To Overwhelming Demand | ZeroHedge

When demand is so overwhelming that you have to stop taking pre-orders, that's usually a good sign - even when you're battling a supply chain crisis.

This was the case with Ford's new Maverick pickup truck which, priced at $20,000, has attracted so much demand that the automaker has been forced to stop taking orders until 2023.

With auto prices skyrocketing over the last 18 months, the Wall Street Journal reports that the demand is a surefire sign that customers are "hungry for more-affordable options" in the auto market.

It's fkn ugly, too. Clearly there is demand for affordable trucks

So much demand that people will order an ugly energizer wannabe truck that's more harmful to nature than natural fuels.

The Maverick isn’t an electric truck or a hybrid.

It’s basically just what the Ranger used to be, cheap, affordable, and for the everyday person who doesn’t need a dualy, 4x4, with enough gadgets and gizmos to start a colony on Mars

So much demand that people will order an ugly energizer wannabe truck that's more harmful to nature than natural fuels.
You might be thinking of the Lighting. I wouldn't be interested in an electric truck, but I don't think they're ugly.

This is one area I think a company did well in appearance. An electric truck that still looks like a normal truck. Some electric cars are just ugly.

1643316433656.png

I got an early ride in the electric Ford F-150 Lightning. No truck has any business being this quick.

You might be thinking of the Lighting. I wouldn't be interested in an electric truck, but I don't think they're ugly.

This is one area I think a company did well in appearance. An electric truck that still looks like a normal truck. Some electric cars are just ugly.

View attachment 431000

I got an early ride in the electric Ford F-150 Lightning. No truck has any business being this quick.
Ford did much better than Chevy in the electric truck department

silverado-ev-reveal-truck-01-m_1.jpg

Ford did much better than Chevy in the electric truck department

silverado-ev-reveal-truck-01-m_1.jpg
For the naming competition, my suggestion was "Eunuch." GM put the kabosh on a naming competition. Fearful pustules. Look at Boeing's Dreamliner. Yeah, production and roll out may not have been a dream, but the naming competition and the name chosen were and are winners for the Boeing brand.

Reactions: tbh
For the envisioned future full of electric vehicles, electric lawnmowers, electric power tools, all-electric housing, we the people will need electric power generation from several sources, smart grids, hardened central resources. Public utilities, PSCs, States, and the Federal government must work cohesively to make this happen. Distributed solar makes sense as a part of the solution. Iot makes possible real-time information from distributed resources and intelligent governance of power production from varying sources. Whether the model is power company solar arrays atop leased roof spaces or property owner solar arrays atop roofs with the ability to deliver power into the grid, Iot data flow is critical.

Current solar models range from off-the-grid self-sufficiency to integrated into the grid with excess power buy-back by utilities. There's room for both, but the integrated solution needs to be done intelligently. Power utilities cannot buy back power at the same price at which they deliver it. State governments and PSCs can set buy-back rates as they do delivery rates in a manner that's fair to all and promotes the deployment of distributed solar arrays. The exposed roof area of cities and their suburbs is a resource that can and should be exploited.

In those areas of the country where solar is viable, combining distributed arrays with back-up battery capacity has strategic value - fewer homes, businesses, and population at risk from grid disruptions. Hardening central power resources against disruptions from weather and/or terrorism events is a must (are you paying attention, Texas?) for mitigating impacts. Imagine a grid where disruption in one central facility doesn't black out two-thirds of the populace across multiple states. It's doable right now. What's required is the will and cooperative effort.

[Steps down from the soap box]

Reactions: tbh
The Maverick isn’t an electric truck or a hybrid.

It’s basically just what the Ranger used to be, cheap, affordable, and for the everyday person who doesn’t need a dualy, 4x4, with enough gadgets and gizmos to start a colony on Mars

Except the ranger was a steal frame platform and the Maverick is a unibody built on an SUV platform. For what most people need a truck for it will probably work.

Except the ranger was a steal frame platform and the Maverick is a unibody built on an SUV platform. For what most people need a truck for it will probably work.

Correct, but for 99% of people, the difference doesn’t really matter. Just need something to move the occasional piece of furniture or plants

love to see $90k dually parked halfway on sidewalk with $2000 in tires never having seen a trail.

meanwhile my work crv is paid for. cant break that car

Reactions: n_huffhines
I had an 87 Ford Ranger and I loved that truck.
I had a 99 XLT Sport. I never should have sold it.

But I like the Maverick. I may even look at one in a few years once we see if it's got any bad bugs in it.

Why would anyone who doesn’t have enough money to throw some away pay $80K for any truck?

You know why. I mean, you don’t know WHY they buy it, but unfortunately in today’s society, an expensive vehicle is a status symbol. I always used to laugh at the expensive cars we used to see in our apartment complex in Maryville. Somehow they can afford a $50k Jeep but not a mortgage.

VN Store

Back