What Happened to the Affordable Pickup Truck?

My 2002 S-10 was tough as nails. Good design. Vortec. Good trans. Still runs today. The only gripe I had was how many fuels pumps she went through. Horrible on fuel pumps. Didn't win either battle with the deer either. First time I replaced all the front ends parts. 6 months later, caught another one. Screw it I thought. Never had to replace those cheap zip ties holding alot of the grill and headlights in after that. They don't jump out in front of veteran deer slayers. Only unscathed front ends. Last few years it has been a Saturday trash hauler. 362K miles. Still cranked up and ran like a top everyday, except I took out the rear window cleaning up limbs after twister. Installed a hefty hefty rear window at that point. Guy down the road stopped about a month ago and said hey, you wanna sell it? I knew I did because my wife had already told me I would. He has done some work to it just to have a clunker truck back and forth to job sites so he wouldn't have to drive his big boy all the time. He gave me $800. I gave him the keys. I see it go down the road pretty regular. He's got money, but that's what he wanted. and he was tickled to death.

I had a first gen Ranger and liked it pretty well too. But I just thought the S-10 evolved better and tougher towards the end. Especially the drive train.

Off road and all purpose utility, nothing beat my SR5 4x4 or my '89 TLC Wagon. S-10 was #2 behind them.
I can't argue. One of my favorite trucks is the S-10 and I'm a Ford guy lol. I didn't care too much for the 2.2 version but it was hard to beat the 4.3 versions. Odly enough, all my s-10s had to have fuel pumps as well lol. Easy cheap fix so I never cared.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Yes and no. The 4 cyl hybrid pulls 2k pounds. The 4 cyl turbo pulls more. But people who are in the market for something like this, I would have been 2 years ago, aren't interested in something that pulls boats or 20 foot trailers. I strongly considered a Ridgeline 2 years ago.
The Hybrid is FWD only with a CVT. It’s not intended to tow more than a jet ski, kayak trailer or Jon boat. The turbo gets a real 8 speed transmission and optional AWD. Not intended to be a Ridgelne comp.
A 40mpg truck grocery getter daily driver with ground clearance and a cargo bed. I would have gone for a test drive 2 year ago.

No they won't. And electric vehicles aren't any better price wise.

I agree about electric vehicle prices and the Ranger/Colorado/Tacoma being pointless to buy because they cost the same as a full size. Even though I think they're missing the market, don't you think that's the reason for Ford building the Maverick?

New car prices are crazy! For something that depreciates that fast? Insane...

I can't argue. One of my favorite trucks is the S-10 and I'm a Ford guy lol. I didn't care too much for the 2.2 version but it was hard to beat the 4.3 versions. Odly enough, all my s-10s had to have fuel pumps as well lol. Easy cheap fix so I never cared.
If Ford and GM would bring back the square body S-10s and Rangers with the 6 cylinder for around $25K they would sell like hotcakes. Still regret selling my 87 S-10 single cab.

Those were GREAT trucks. I've owned several from bare bones "iron duke" 4 bangers, to Syclones & Typhoons.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I agree about electric vehicle prices and the Ranger/Colorado/Tacoma being pointless to buy because they cost the same as a full size. Even though I think they're missing the market, don't you think that's the reason for Ford building the Maverick?

New car prices are crazy! For something that depreciates that fast? Insane...
I'd say absolutely.

Probably not that far off. However, someone in the market for a Ridgeline isn't likely cross shopping it against a 1/2 ton.
Eh, I beg to differ. Let me ask you this. How many dents and scratches did your truck have? It's comfortable truck, I will not argue. Its performance is acceptable but every truck with a frame in its class will out perform it.

It doesn't have to be a half ton to compare, heck I know for fact it can't perform in an off road setting well. All the old small 4x4 trucks would embarrass it let alone the trucks with a frame in the same class. Like I said before, the ground clearance alone puts it at a huge disadvantage. Every truck on the market is going to perform well with light to medium workloads. It's when you really push it, it falls short.

Unibody is just a terrible platform for a truck. Having seen first hand what pulling weight does to them, you can't argue it. You could always tell which ones were used for pulling weight. They all have stress marks (stretching metal) in the sub frame (which they are designed to do just in the opposite way). I even seen a few broken welds.

Last edited:
Eh, I beg to differ. Let me ask you this. How many dents and scratches did your truck have? It's comfortable truck, I will not argue. Its performance is acceptable but every truck with a frame in its class will out perform it.

It doesn't have to be a half ton to compare, heck I know for fact it can't perform in an off road setting well. All the old small 4x4 trucks would embarrass it let alone the trucks with a frame in the same class. Like I said before, the ground clearance alone puts it at a huge disadvantage. Every truck on the market is going to perform well with light to medium workloads. It's when you really push it, it falls short.

Unibody is just a terrible platform for a truck. Having seen first hand what pulling weight does to them, you can't argue it. You could always tell which ones were used for pulling weight. They all have stress marks (stretching metal) in the sub frame (which they are designed to do just in the opposite way). I even seen a few broken welds.
LOL, people aren't buying a Ridgeline to off-road in. I sell cars/trucks, I've yet to have a customer come look at a Silverado and say, yup, I'm getting this or a Ridgeline!

If Ford and GM would bring back the square body S-10s and Rangers with the 6 cylinder for around $25K they would sell like hotcakes. Still regret selling my 87 S-10 single cab.
I think you are right, but could include the Nissan hardbody and the smaller Toyota truck of 15+ years back. All those trucks were pretty reliable. Only thing I can figure is the manufactures make more selling these current larger, more highly equipped trucks and they would hurt those sales numbers if they offered a smaller more reasonably priced option?

I think you are right, but could include the Nissan hardbody and the smaller Toyota truck of 15+ years back. All those trucks were pretty reliable. Only thing I can figure is the manufactures make more selling these current larger, more highly equipped trucks and they would hurt those sales numbers if they offered a smaller more reasonably priced option?
The problem is CAFE standards on fuel economy. Bigger trucks can be less fuel efficient because larger wheel base vehicles are allowed to have lower fuel economy. While light trucks end up getting held to the standars of a sedan because they have the same wheel base. Essentially, old school compacts where made more expensive to produce because of the penalties from the regulations. You're seeing the unibody fwd truck appear because they can share a platform with cars/small SUVs and can match their fuel economy. The old school V6 compact is dead without a major bump in full efficiency to the platform or change to the regulations. With the way the market is going, we'll likely get full electric compacts before either happens.

Reactions: walkenvol
The problem is CAFE standards on fuel economy. Bigger trucks can be less fuel efficient because larger wheel base vehicles are allowed to have lower fuel economy. While light trucks end up getting held to the standars of a sedan because they have the same wheel base. Essentially, old school compacts where made more expensive to produce because of the penalties from the regulations. You're seeing the unibody fwd truck appear because they can share a platform with cars/small SUVs and can match their fuel economy. The old school V6 compact is dead without a major bump in full efficiency to the platform or change to the regulations. With the way the market is going, we'll likely get full electric compacts before either happens.

A 4 cylinder turbo would work. I’ve known people who went electric and switched back to gas after they came due for a battery change.

It makes you wonder. An electric car should be significantly cheaper. Consider what an engine and transmission account for in cost. Tesla’s model S has dropped in price by 20% since it first launched due to getting past start up cost.

Electric cars will kill the dealership model as there is not enough maintenance work to support a franchise service department.
I doubt that, in the last 30 years I've had one car in the dealership for engine or transmission issues. Dozens for - outside air sensor, radio, keyless ignition, air conditioner, cruise control, faulty battery, power window, heated seats and the list goes on and on,

Reactions: SycloneJoe
A 4 cylinder turbo would work. I’ve known people who went electric and switched back to gas after they came due for a battery change.
4 cylinder turbo is what the unibody trucks are doing. I don’t know that I ever saw it on the older trucks though. But electric is what we're going to move to for all cars. It's only a matter of time.

Last edited:
LOL, people aren't buying a Ridgeline to off-road in. I sell cars/trucks, I've yet to have a customer come look at a Silverado and say, yup, I'm getting this or a Ridgeline!
Like I said, it's for suburban dad that doesnt want a minivan but want that comfortable feel. I also stated my acceptance is much higher than yours as to what makes a truck, a truck. I personally would rather buy a Tacoma. It can do everything better and more than the Honda. It might not feel like a minivan, that's only because it sits higher and has a extremely better suspension that's made to be a little more rugged for towing purposes. To be honest, I would take any truck in its class that has a frame over the Ridgeline(I had the AWD). I had one, I liked it but IDK, it's just not a real truck. I always felt like I was in something soft.

Last edited:
Like I said, it's for suburban dad that doesnt want a minivan but want that comfortable feel. I also stated my acceptance is much higher than yours as to what makes a truck, a truck. I personally would rather buy a Tacoma. It can do everything better and more than the Honda. It might not feel like a minivan, that's only because it sits higher and has a extremely better suspension that's made to be a little more rugged for towing purposes. To be honest, I would take any truck in its class that has a frame over the Ridgeline(I had the AWD). I had one, I liked it but IDK, it's just not a real truck. I always felt like I was in something soft.
It's not a truck in the sense of other trucks, that is true. But it's still a "truck" by definition.

I owned a Colorado, Frontier and Taco before I owned the Ridgeline. I used to make fun of the Ridgeline. Then I ended up getting one. I liked it better than the other 3. Tacos are severely overrated and just have a cult following like Wranglers. The Frontier was probably my 2nd choice in the group.

I doubt that, in the last 30 years I've had one car in the dealership for engine or transmission issues. Dozens for - outside air sensor, radio, keyless ignition, air conditioner, cruise control, faulty battery, power window, heated seats and the list goes on and on,
How much routine maintenance did you do to your engine? How much ro those parts you mentioned above?

Now, go to a franchised dealer and tell them you are going to take away 90% of their routine work and let me know how that goes.

VN Store

Back