What Happened to the Affordable Pickup Truck?

On the "maverick" question, I was just talking to a Ford/Mustang long-time collector about the name, and as a word, I like it, but he doesn't. I like cars, and I think about this a lot. I think the people who sell and market cars actually are not very good at the names, and I take umbrage to a lot of stuff they do. If you have cars named after hotels on the Riviera, racetracks, or the wind, or cascading water, or something, you need to keep that. I say it can't hurt. If you rename the products something like 1, 2, 3 (as Pontiac did) then that's a sure sign to me of brutal stupidity.

The whole horse thing at Ford is fine. I don't hate it. Maverick is a good word as words go; Rolls off the tongue, pronounced the same everywhere, Jim Garner played him on TV. I know they made a maverick before, but people are going to look at this vehicle and it'll be obvious that it's not replacing the 1969 Falcons. Now that Ford has two trucks that don't start with "E" it makes you wonder if there is a big name shift coming. I find that nobody much thinks about this but me. When I talk about this, even to car guys, everybody just thinks I'm an idiot.

I don’t know if Ford dusting off the Maverick name is such a great idea. Might as well have gone with the Pinto pickup truck.
Hey now, I owned a Maverick for a couple years in the early 80’s and it was a good car for the day. 302 V8 and C6 auto delivered low 20’s mileage and was very reliable. Gold 2 door with a white vinyl top. Front bench seat was good for dating. No need to bash it.

Why? It's virtually useless except as a grocery getter.
For infrequent tasks like moving a couch or getting a few sheets of OSB, that are a pain in the ass without a pickup but may not justify buying something full sized.

There's a pretty big niche for something of the sort.

Reactions: walkenvol
On the "maverick" question, I was just talking to a Ford/Mustang long-time collector about the name, and as a word, I like it, but he doesn't. I like cars, and I think about this a lot. I think the people who sell and market cars actually are not very good at the names, and I take umbrage to a lot of stuff they do. If you have cars named after hotels on the Riviera, racetracks, or the wind, or cascading water, or something, you need to keep that. I say it can't hurt. If you rename the products something like 1, 2, 3 (as Pontiac did) then that's a sure sign to me of brutal stupidity.

The whole horse thing at Ford is fine. I don't hate it. Maverick is a good word as words go; Rolls off the tongue, pronounced the same everywhere, Jim Garner played him on TV. I know they made a maverick before, but people are going to look at this vehicle and it'll be obvious that it's not replacing the 1969 Falcons. Now that Ford has two trucks that don't start with "E" it makes you wonder if there is a big name shift coming. I find that nobody much thinks about this but me. When I talk about this, even to car guys, everybody just thinks I'm an idiot.

What's in a name though?

Seems like the basic Chevy S-10 was advertised for $5,999 for years.

Also, around 15 years ago the basic full sized Chevy with 4WD was $16,999. I think it had automatic, V-6, and A/C.

I bought my first truck - S-10- new in 1985 - $5,999! Auto transmission, AM radio and no AC.
I bought my current (and last) truck new for 32k - 2007 Toyota Tundra Crewmax. Only 99k miles.

A few weeks ago I drove a buddy to a Ford dealer to pick up a new Ranger. The sticker was $53K and it came with a 4 cylinder! No thanks.

One day, people will stop paying these silly prices and the manufacturers be forced to make more affordable models.

My last car payment was 2002. I don’t miss it.

Reactions: Toujours Pret
One day, people will stop paying these silly prices and the manufacturers be forced to make more affordable models.

My last car payment was 2002. I don’t miss it.
No they won't. And electric vehicles aren't any better price wise.

24SSxqZ.jpg

Reactions: SycloneJoe
So..... Let's get flamed. The maverick is unveiled today. It's not totally a truck, but it is small.

2022-Ford-Maverick-compact-pickup-revealed-with-hybrid-power-and.jpg

I'm curious whether this is smaller than a Ridgeline, but I'm too lazy to form an opinion. [edit] "they" say it is smaller.
[Edit] $21,490 and 40 mpg in town.
[Edit] Will be built in Mexico and I suppose it avoids the Chicken Tax. Hard to argue with the price/fuel mileage. You can argue with the shape, but not the price.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
No they won't. And electric vehicles aren't any better price wise.
It makes you wonder. An electric car should be significantly cheaper. Consider what an engine and transmission account for in cost. Tesla’s model S has dropped in price by 20% since it first launched due to getting past start up cost.

Electric cars will kill the dealership model as there is not enough maintenance work to support a franchise service department.

So..... Let's get flamed. The maverick is unveiled today. It's not totally a truck, but it is small.

I'm curious whether this is smaller than a Ridgeline, but I'm too lazy to form an opinion. [edit] "they" say it is smaller.
[Edit] Will be built in Mexico and I suppose it avoids the Chicken Tax. Hard to argue with the price/fuel mileage. You can argue with the shape, but not the price.

Looks like they just took the back off an Explorer.

I'm guessing the FX4 pictured will still be around 35k

How does everybody feel about the new sub compact pickup Ford seems to be working on?
Ford Maverick crossover truck spy photos
That's no truck. It's a sub-compact SUV with a bed. Front-wheel drive, unibody? I can't even remember a truck that didn't have body on frame for it's superior truck duties and to not have rwd with 4wd options is puzzling. It will be a weaker Ridgeline, which doesn't perform truck duties very well. With that said it's 5k overpriced, but hope it does well and starts a trend of the small truck again.

I think Nissan screwed up not making a small bare bones truck like the ole Hardbody. No one has one and they would have owned that market. If they wanted to save Nissan they should have did that instead of designing a expensive 400z that no one was asking for. The downward spiral continues for them. They will owned by Ford in less than 10 years I bet.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCHateSteve
I'm guessing the FX4 pictured will still be around 35k
27k is the starting point on the top end Lariat. Not sure what all that comes with standard, other than the Eco Boost, instead of the hybrid engine. The 2000/4000 lb towing is kind of disappointing. The new Santa Fe pickup pulls 3500/5000 lbs depending on trim. Ford will likely make some hay on the base models though. It's the cheapest hybrid on the market, even if it is a 4x2.

27k is the starting point on the top end Lariat. Not sure what all that comes with standard, other than the Eco Boost, instead of the hybrid engine. The 2000/4000 lb towing is kind of disappointing. The new Santa Fe pickup pulls 3500/5000 lbs depending on trim. Ford will likely make some hay on the base models though. It's the cheapest hybrid on the market, even if it is a 4x2.
I think being hybrid is what makes the base model fail. They're targeting the wrong demographic. Have you ever seen a truck owner praise his hybrid? Lol

Reactions: hog88
I think being hybrid is what makes the base model fail. They're targeting the wrong demographic. Have you ever seen a truck owner praise his hybrid? Lol
They aren't targeting the typical truck owner with the hybrid. The base is basically replacing the focus. That's why it doesn't come in a 4x4.

The eco boost is the one aimed at the existing compact truck market. Still, it's not quite what I wanted from it. You can't really even pull a camper that isn't a pop up. Price is about all its got on the Ridgeline.

That's no truck. It's a sub-compact SUV with a bed. Front-wheel drive, unibody? I can't even remember a truck that didn't have body on frame for it's superior truck duties and to not have rwd with 4wd options is puzzling. It will be a weaker Ridgeline, which doesn't perform truck duties very well. With that said it's 5k overpriced, but hope it does well and starts a trend of the small truck again.

I think Nissan screwed up not making a small bare bones truck like the ole Hardbody. No one has one and they would have owned that market. If they wanted to save Nissan they should have did that instead of designing a expensive 400z that no one was asking for. The downward spiral continues for them. They will owned by Ford in less than 10 years I bet.
I've owned all 4 major mid size trucks (Colorado, Tacoma, Frontier, Ridgeline. The Ranger wasn't available during my ownership time). The best one was the Ridgeline. Towed everything I needed (probably even over the 5K limit) and more (even on the original Alaskan Highway in the winter which is now a off-road trail, thanks Google Maps). Handles better than the other trucks in adverse weather as well.

VN Store

Back