What Grade Would You Give The 2019-2020 LadyVols And Coach Harper?

What Grade Would You Give Coach Harper And The 2019-2020 LadyVols?

• A+

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • A

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • A-

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • B+

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • B

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • B-

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • C+

• C

• C-

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • D or F

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
What kind of UK sport did lady vols beat on the road? did u even watched women basketball?

LOL! Reading is hard. I picked this up on the home page and thought it was mens. Sorry if anyone's eyes crossed trying to understand. :-\

Reactions: sisaq
C+. We were picked to finish 6th in the SEC and though technically we finished tied for 3rd, we earned a 6 seed in the SEC tourney. Our best win was home against LSU. I think she did an okay job but I look for improvement next year. Would be nice to get a win or 2 against a good team (not a knock against LSU).

well c+ just because we lost Green early. I just imagine team we could of had with Green, Westbrook, Collins. I blame fans for losing Westbrook, and Collins. Holly sure was a great recruiter and that team she built would have been probably deepest and most talented in country next season. Not saying she would have gotten them to play well, but, not even thinking what she might of brought in, we would be the most talented, tallest team in Nation. Not sure I saw improvement in any player from start of year to end, or any improvement in play, last game was embarrassingly bad. Passing never improved, and only a free throw shooting was bad, subbing was bad, use of time outs bad. Rebounding got worse late in season. We didn't beat 1 team we shouldn't on paper , something Holly did regularly. Still C+ because, thought they played below their talent, they did seem to be unified.I don't think a first yr coach, with a new system can be fairly judged, but talent was there for more wins, still think Kellie and staff lost us AM game with bad coaching down stretch, refusal to use timeouts. I think a few of staff are not ready for this level, I hope Kellie changes a few. Not sold on husband and wife on multi coaches staff being a good idea, nor do I think we have a recruiter at this level on staff. Hate to say this, because I am always a huge defender of players and coaches, but just think an ebtire mid major staff is ready for big time, might need to cut 1 or 2 after recruiting, or possibly if a recruiting one can land us a star. Love to get Law back as assistant head coach.

Reactions: mcannon1 and Volle
Considering we were not ranked preseason and were picked 6th in SEC all because we lost two important transfers as well as seniors last year and then Coach had a short roster and team that was turnover machine and we won 20 and didn't have a single loss to a bad team I would say B+. Tough job Coach Harper had. And to top it off she did have to start to build the right culture it takes and it is not finished in one year and not even two.
Texas was a bad team, and we should of crushed them, we didn't look prepared one bit. We were out coached that is almost impossible to be done by texas.

Considering she is in her first year and had catastrophic player losses early on I give her a B. She had some adjusting to do as well moving up in competition. She did more with less, not a lot more but more.

B--... thought the team looked better early in the season, but regressed over time, and finished poorly with the blowout loss to UK. High TO's means one of two things: bad practice habits or the players have tuned out the coach. Kelly may not be able to build rapport with the team. Can she recruit at a high level? She's a better speaker than Holly in postgame interviews, but is starting to sound like her searching for words as the losses mount up. We shall see next year.

Last edited:
Since the season is now over what grade would you give Coach Harper and the 2019-2020 LadyVols? Coach Harper and the 2019-2020 LadyVols dealt with youth and injuries along with putting in a new system and they got 20 wins and I give them a B.
Almost a "Perfect Bell Curve" on the results...This is good!

What grade would she give this site?

In all seriousness

I would give both coach and team a "B"
No significant wins
No upsets of notability
But they did take care of business and beat the teams they were supposed to and seemingly were beginning to peak at the end of the season

Last edited:
Reactions: ruvol
In all seriousness

I would give both coach and team a "B"
No significant wins
Bu upsets of notability
But they did take care of business and beat the teams they were supposed to and seemingly were beginning to peak at the end of the season
"Seemingly were beginning to peak at the end of the season" ?
Are you talking about the men's team or the women's team ?
The women had 4 uninspired wins
(Including a 1 point win vs Auburn and a 4 point win over Vandy), against the bottom of the SEC. They then lost to Kentucky by 21 in their second game of the SEC playoffs.
In which game did they peak ?

Not sold on husband and wife on multi coaches staff being a good idea, nor do I think we have a recruiter at this level on staff.
Not sold in theory, or in practice in the case of the Harpers? Because I've found it interesting how many people, even those who go to games, had no idea the male asst is her hubby. I've been to or watched every game I believe, and I've never seen the slightest indication of that relationship during the games or any public appearance If not for a few little feature videos about their kids, etc. it seems almost forgotten, not an issue.

I'm aware some disagree, but IMO Jon Harper is a role model. She is clearly the boss, has been for years, and he seems fine with it. Works for them, doesn't seem to effect their jobs, keeps a young family where both parents want a career that involves constant travel together.

Regarding recruiting, in spite of the reverence for the one on the last staff, according to the wisdom on this site she excelled at either landing overrated stars and/or athletes with low bball skills who couldn't be successfully developed. So I'm not sure we've actually had high level recruiting in a while. I'll give the current staff a shot, see how their first recruits fit in and develop.

Reactions: Bret178
B- for coach, team, and season. Met expectations, beat who they should beat, avoided horrible losses (somehow) stopped the downhill slide. That would equal a C for me, but kicked up to a B because it was done with key personnel losses and a depleted roster. Also because it seemed KJH quickly reclaimed the culture.

Then had to knock down to at least B- due to lack of player and team development over 30 games. Did not feel like much, if any, improvement from E. Tenn St to Ky in the SEC. We were totally and sadly predictable.

Someone asked where the LVs peaked this year, an interesting question. IMO certainly not at the end of the season. I'd say first half against UConn. I was so impressed with how mentally and game plan wise they seemed prepared for that big stage. Then the second half happened . . .

A freaking B!!!!!!?????

WTF are ya'll talking about? This program is truly dead if this past years' performance was a ****ing B.

For real, though. The majority of people said between B- and B+. WTF is wrong with our fanbase?

FWIW, I gave a C- and I feel that's being nice, because my gut said D+.

"Seemingly were beginning to peak at the end of the season" ?
Are you talking about the men's team or the women's team ?
The women had 4 uninspired wins
(Including a 1 point win vs Auburn and a 4 point win over Vandy), against the bottom of the SEC. They then lost to Kentucky by 21 in their second game of the SEC playoffs.
In which game did they peak ?

4 wins,,,the past year's teams would have lost...
lost to the team with arguably the best player of the season
Lost with two of our staters having a bad game (Ren and Rae)
Jordan had her career high and was starting to climb back up again

Two easy games to get to 16 and arguably the weakest Connie team in the last few years ahead of them
I'd say they were in for a run

Reactions: Lucy
For real, though. The majority of people said between B- and B+. WTF is wrong with our fanbase?

Because too many fans want to base their grade by comparing her to Holly last season, a more talented team that grossly underachieved, instead of grading her by what were objective, reasonable expectations for this season...

Reactions: volman128
4 wins,,,the past year's teams would have lost...
lost to the team with arguably the best player of the season
Lost with two of our staters having a bad game (Ren and Rae)
Jordan had her career high and was starting to climb back up again

Two easy games to get to 16 and arguably the weakest Connie team in the last few years ahead of them
I'd say they were in for a run
You're kidding yourself. The problem is you want the LV's to win so badly, it's clouding your judgement, I would put this prediction right up there with your UT 80 South Carolina 76 score.
That "weakest Connie team" is the same one that held us to 14 points, in the entire second half of our game, earlier this year.

You're kidding yourself. The problem is you want the LV's to win so badly, it's clouding your judgement, I would put this prediction right up there with your UT 80 South Carolina 76 score.
That "weakest Connie team" is the same one that held us to 14 points, in the entire second half of our game, earlier this year.

First of all, don't tell me how I grade. I grade them what I see. Not what I want to see. I post and I coach for what I want to see, I grade for what I actually saw. I saw Improvement in winning games we were supposed to win, reaching expectations with the loss of two key players , and in team chemistry. ... I saw a need for improvement in signature wins, in in-game coaching, and turnovers, and passing and receiving those passes. All Things Considered I think a b is a perfect grade. C is too minimal and grade of a is too high.

Defensive coaching: B
Offensive coaching: D
Overall: C

Cut down our TOs by 1/3 and we finish in the top 3 of the SEC... even with the bad shooting. Oh well.

VN Store

Back