What does everyone NOT like about Hendon Hooker?

And Dobbs wasn't competing with someone with the following of Bailey. You can speak for yourself... not others. And if you don't think there's anyone here pulling for Bailey because he's white... I can't help you. And you don't have to look too hard regarding my political posts to know that I don't buy much of the excuse making and BLM non-sense.

I don't doubt that's true. I'm old enough to remember the years just after black QB's broke the race barrier in college football. The desire to win may suppress prejudices some times. Even then, most OL's continued to be white for about another decade because of the notion that black players weren't smart enough.

The fact that these same people want to win doesn't mean that things not related to who actually has the skill and talent do not play into who some people think the "guy" should be.... that it doesn't influence who they're rooting for.
There may be a few just like there may be a few blacks that are pulling for milton or hooker. But I think 98 percent of Vol fans black or white or whatever race just want the guy that is going to win the most it wouldn't matter to them if he were green. I just don't like injecting race into football. Bottom line is most want who wins, I certainly do I pull for the VOLS not what race my qb or any other players are. And the great majority are the same way even if they have different views on who it should be. Holloway is my first memory of UT football and what got me watching the Vols. He is still one of my all time favorites right along with Manning. GBO!!!!!!

Those that says he is not an accurate paaser, his passing completion percentage and rate of interceptions at Virginia is almost identical to Manning's record here.

Maybe they mean downfield passing. That's probably accurate, but it can't be much worse than Milton's downfield passing. If downfield passing is so important to this offense, then Bailey needs to play, as he clearly the best downfield passer we have.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Turnovers are the primary concern I see with Hooker. Probably can't make all the throws but can offset that with his legs some.

Milton has the turnover issue, decision making concerns, and above all the accuracy problem which likely isn't going away any time soon.

I thought Bailey looked good last season in limited action as a freshman. Pretty obvious the head coach isn't impressed though.

If there is one position a Heisman candidate, former QB head coach would get resolved...you'd think it would be QB.

Yet here we are.

Bailey is the best QB on the roster, but two coaching staffs...including two QB coaches that were Heisman finalists and national champions feel differently?

I honestly don't get the Bailey love. He looks weak and timid.
Similarly, Bailey will never be athletic and the game has changed - even in the NFL - you can't be as lathargic as he is anymore.

I have to disagree about the text in bold. What jumped out to me in the first game I saw Bailey play (2020, at TN) was how calm he looked. It was notably different from the more anxious body language of JG or the frenetic energy of Maurer.

I am fairly surprised that Bailey has not won the job by now, and I have to admit that there may be a reason for it. But his body language, at least early on, was that of a guy who has been here before, and and for whom the game is slow (in a good way). I would think it would make him even better suited for running a uptempo offense.

My hope is that Bailey turns out to be one of those athletes that is better in games than practice, and that he gets a chance to show it again soon. His performance in the last 4 games of 2020 certainly shows promise.

Let's take a different look at it. These two new girls move into town, one is a ten but lousy in the sack. The other one is ok looking but everything she does is bland. Then there is your ex who is drop dead beautiful, does everything great except she walks funny. Alot of guys want her and the ones that don't are gay.

His X walks funny after sex?

I think Hooker has earned a shot to be QB1. Let's see what a week preparation as the starter looks like on Him. All Bailey needs to do is keep his mouth shut and keep grinding. He'll get his opportunity, and when he does, ball out.

Maybe they mean downfield passing. That's probably accurate, but it can't be much worse than Milton's downfield passing. If downfield passing is so important to this offense, then Bailey needs to play, as he clearly the best downfield passer we have.
What if accurate down field passing == he tends to under throw the ball????

I do want to see Hooker out there taking the first snap and running up a 35-0 score by halftime ... then turning over the keys to Bailey to get some playing time.

There may be a few just like there may be a few blacks that are pulling for milton or hooker.
Exactly. Unfortunately those folks are often noisy zealots.

But I think 98 percent of Vol fans black or white or whatever race just want the guy that is going to win the most it wouldn't matter to them if he were green. I just don't like injecting race into football. Bottom line is most want who wins, I certainly do I pull for the VOLS not what race my qb or any other players are. And the great majority are the same way even if they have different views on who it should be. Holloway is my first memory of UT football and what got me watching the Vols. He is still one of my all time favorites right along with Manning. GBO!!!!!!
FWIW, if I were picking the starter based on my personal "likes"... it would be Hooker. Like his personality and demeanor.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
TURNOVERS! Who was the only QB to have a turnover in the Spring game? Now, 4 quarters played and 3 turnovers. Yet Bailey remains on the pine. It is obvious that the coaches erronoeus trust in Joe Milton as the starter was misplaced. Now fans are expected to trust the coaches and not our eyes: the confidence in Hooker is low. If Bailey is tried and screws up then Volnation will shut up on the QB question. Then we know the problem is coaching and talent and cant be fixed.
You don't see practice where MOST of what Bailey did or didn't do to earn the job happened. Word out of camp was that he turned the ball over.

If Hooker had played almost exclusively vs the scout team in the spring game... he wouldn't have had a turnover. Instead, he threw a pick when a STARTER jumped a route that he had probably seen 50 times in practice.

Reactions: TheVolsFrog
Only read the title but the only thing I don't like is he stares down his WR. He did it in the O&W game for a pick 6 and vs PITT in crunch time.

We would have a lot of turnovers with him. Jmo

I think it's feast of famine with him. I think we might have a chance against the Georgia's and the Bama's, then lose to South Carolina. If we are not going to win any championships, might as well have fun watching him, and see what he can do.

He reminds me of Tony Robinson and Jimmy Streater, both very entertaining qb's to watch.

Last edited:
I have to disagree about the text in bold. What jumped out to me in the first game I saw Bailey play (2020, at TN) was how calm he looked. It was notably different from the more anxious body language of JG or the frenetic energy of Maurer.

I am fairly surprised that Bailey has not won the job by now, and I have to admit that there may be a reason for it. But his body language, at least early on, was that of a guy who has been here before, and and for whom the game is slow (in a good way). I would think it would make him even better suited for running a uptempo offense.

My hope is that Bailey turns out to be one of those athletes that is better in games than practice, and that he gets a chance to show it again soon. His performance in the last 4 games of 2020 certainly shows promise.

I'd love to be wrong. We've had a ton of really smart football guys on staff the last 2 seasons, and they've collectively placed Bailey behind Guarantano, Maurer, Shrout, Milton, and Hooker. I don't think it's because they're opposed to putting the best guy out there.

He throws picks. Did it at VT, did it during the Spring Game of all places, and did it Saturday.
7 picks in 312 attempts. That's taking pretty good care of the ball. He had 4 fumbles in 2020 but only lost one and was asked to carry the ball a lot by VT. The guy has some limitations but the turnovers are unusual for him and hopefully he can get past them.

Let's take a different look at it. These two new girls move into town, one is a ten but lousy in the sack. The other one is ok looking but everything she does is bland. Then there is your ex who is drop dead beautiful, does everything great except she walks funny. Alot of guys want her and the ones that don't are gay.
JG is beautiful? 🤔🤔🤔🤣🤣🤣

JG is beautiful? 🤔🤔🤔🤣🤣🤣

A history of mistakes at the worst possible time that end up costing you the game……not unlike the 2 at the end of the Pitt game

This is fair. Hendon did make the wrong read on the 4th down play. He also stared down the receiver and threw the pick on the game tying drive. Can't argue with either of these examples...

Last edited:
I understand the Milton frustrations, though I do think if he can get the deep ball under control he will be dangerous.

But everyone keeps calling for Bailey. Why so much Bailey love and not Hooker? I feel like Hooker proved his merit quite well against Pitt. He does a LOT of the same things Dobbs did with his feet, and he may have a better arm.

He made some beautiful touch throws, had some impressive runs, and I felt like when he was on the field we were always going to move the chains, and that’s something I haven’t felt in a long time with our QB position.
I have a real problem knowing what I don’t know. If I knew what I didn’t know I would’ve know what i thought I didn’t know.

Is it though? This is his 4th year playing college football and it hasn't been corrected yet.

Yes. Accuracy can be corrected. Joe Burrow completed 56% of his passes his fourth year in college and over 70% his 5th year.

Of the things a QB needs to be successful (size, arm strength, decision making), accuracy is probably the most coachable.

Then why hasnt it been corrected?
High school
Michigan
Tennessee

Not sure that it's a correctable problem at this point

Sure it is. Doesn’t mean it will be corrected, but it does mean it’s very possible. He’s not had a lot of time with these WRs or in this system or with this staff (the least of any of our QBs).

Look at Joe Burrow’s accuracy from year 4 to year 5. Year 4 he completed 56% of his passes and year 5 he was over 70%.

Doesn’t mean it will happen, but it does mean it’s very possible.

Yes. Accuracy can be corrected. Joe Burrow completed 56% of his passes his fourth year in college and over 70% his 5th year.

Of the things a QB needs to be successful (size, arm strength, decision making), accuracy is probably the most coachable.

The difference is that Burrow's issues were not with his throwing mechanics, but rather the offense itself and oline blocking.

Once Joe Brady took control of the passing game, and he got more protection in the pocket, actual errant throws dropped off completely.

Milton is still overthrowing wide open receivers after 4 seconds in the pocket with near zero actual pressure.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife

VN Store

Back