What did you have for dinner II?

There’s Malay, Chinese, Indian, and European influences in Singapore fare. One very popular dish is “chicken rice.” Rice is cooked in fatty chicken stock. In and of itself, it’s good, but I opted for an added piece of chicken. My favorite was a grilled/roasted & braised thigh. I still have no idea how they seasoned it, but er muh gawd, yum!

I should say that Singapore noodles was not called that in Singapore. There, it was called by a Malay or Chinese name.
What I read was that this particular recipe (and its close relatives) actually originated in Hong Kong, so go figure. If so, I assume that it was an attempt to recreate noodle dishes served in Singapore. Recipe names can be as bad as common names of plants!

I used a Madras curry powder from Spicewalla (local food guru Meherwan Irani.) I’m guessing it’s gentler than some other curry powders, so this will call for some experimenting!

It could be that the dish originated in Hong Kong and became popular in Singapore as it has elsewhere. I was in Singapore in 2005. I cannot recall the Chinese or Malay names for the dish. Similar noodle dishes are called mei fun or mi fen in restaurants around here. On these menus, the distinction of Singapore noodles is the curry.

Last edited:
What I read was that this particular recipe (and its close relatives) actually originated in Hong Kong, so go figure. If so, I assume that it was an attempt to recreate noodle dishes served in Singapore. Recipe names can be as bad as common names of plants!

I used a Madras curry powder from Spicewalla (local food guru Meherwan Irani.) I’m guessing it’s gentler than some other curry powders, so this will call for some experimenting!
May have to try that one. It wants shrimp for a protein I think.

That's up there with a peanut butter and pickle sandwich. But fries and frosty shouldn't work either. So who knows?

Try it. You have one of the most diverse palates on this board. I think you would like it, or at least find it interesting. They key is not to use a sweet mayo. Duke's or JFG are the best for a peany-butt & mayo sammich.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Try it. You have one of the most diverse palates on this board. I think you would like it, or at least find it interesting. They key is not to use a sweet mayo. Duke's or JFG are the best for a peany-butt & mayo sammich.
I'll try it, at some point. Maybe it'll suprise me lol.

My Grandfather and my Dad got me hooked on it when I was young. My Grandfather used to say: "This was the most popular sandwich in the 30's and 40's."

My Dad would always jazz it up adding bananas and an onion slice lol.
That sounds like an old southern thing for sure. They put mayo on everything back then. My tastes seem to be becoming more tolerant to it recently. I mean it couldn't be any worse than the cheese and marshmallow sandwiches a friend of mine eats.

That sounds like an old southern thing for sure. They put mayo on everything back then. My tastes seem to be becoming more tolerant to it recently. I mean it couldn't be any worse than the cheese and marshmallow sandwiches a friend of mine eats.
Um. no. I can almost guarantee it won't be worse than that...

Reactions: Vjcvette
pb,mayobanana bestcombo; dad used to make walkin sammich: pb, mayo, applei. raisins

Sometimes, I rinse off my homegrown tomatoes and just eat them. It’s easy with grape and cherry tomatoes, but I’ve consumed a beautifully ripe Cherokee purple like and apple (messy). Yum. However, when I’m serving them as a side, I will give them a wee sprinkle of salt & pepper to make their flavor pop.

Last edited:
Tonight, it’s a medley of homegrown red bell peppers, onions, the last of the leftover pork tenderloin diced, sautéed, mixed with black beans, and served over chicken rice and fresh spinach and arugula with a dollop of yoghurt.
Edit: The missus added chopped homegrown cherry tomatoes!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back