What caused the banging every 30 minutes after the submersible imploded last Sunday?

Drewbydoo

Drew
It's seems very odd there would be any sounds, every 30 minutes near the Titanic site at this point in time. It's not like there is any current near the Titanic or an imploded submersible. There isn't much life of any kind down that deep, so I was wondering if anyone had read of what those sounds were or what they could be if they haven't read about what they actually are.

Probably a pump cycling at regular intervals from a surface ship.

Sound travels pretty far through water. Could be a number of things

Wouldn't a SONAR be able to do an echo location on the approximate source location? It seems to me that at some point this week we'd know if the source of the sound was "farther from shore" than the Titanic or not. ie listen for it between a shore line and Titanic. Then with the same vessal or a different one, positioned on the other side. With that basic level of ability to listen with sonic listenting devices in the water, that's they'd a an idea of the source.

Anyway, good reply. I'm a curious person and was just running through all the things I read this week about that search and rescue; and I just like to learn or ponder and learn from people that might be experts and happen to be part of Volnation.

And from someone who used to spend hours and hours straining listening to shortwave through headphones trying to see how many distant countries I could catalog, after a while, you start hearing patterns that your mind converts into what you want to hear.
I am sure the technicians were told to listen for banging on 30 minute intervals (standard sub rescue protocol from what I read). When the top and bottom of the hour come around, your ears and mind will start to hear patterns which may or not be man made. Very faint signals out of background noise are difficult to discern.

Wouldn't a SONAR be able to do an echo location on the approximate source location? It seems to me that at some point this week we'd know if the source of the sound was "farther from shore" than the Titanic or not. ie listen for it between a shore line and Titanic. Then with the same vessal or a different one, positioned on the other side. With that basic level of ability to listen with sonic listenting devices in the water, that's they'd a an idea of the source.

Anyway, good reply. I'm a curious person and was just running through all the things I read this week about that search and rescue; and I just like to learn or ponder and learn from people that might be experts and happen to be part of Volnation.
You would be using passive sonar for listening and would need at least two detectors to determine a distance, three to triangulate. The active sonar echo would only help when you were close

Reactions: Drewbydoo
It's seems very odd there would be any sounds, every 30 minutes near the Titanic site at this point in time. It's not like there is any current near the Titanic or an imploded submersible. There isn't much life of any kind down that deep, so I was wondering if anyone had read of what those sounds were or what they could be if they haven't read about what they actually are.
Yesterday the Coast Gaurd said they didn't know anything about the 30 minute interval at their presser. The stuff I read at the end of the day yesterday said it was heard, heard again 30 minutes later, then again 4 hours later when another sonar device was added. I think the 30 minute interval thing was misreported.

Wouldn't a SONAR be able to do an echo location on the approximate source location?
Active sonar (echolocation ) is shorter range than passive. Think of it like this: you're standing on the shore of a lake. Someone on the opposite side miles away turns on a flashlight and shines it at you. You'll see the dot of light from their flashlight, but can't actually see them (passive) . Even if you turn your own light that way (active) it wouldn't be enough to illuminate them. You wouldn't be able to tell how far away they are either. They could be 2 miles away on the shore or 1 mile away on a boat. Now if you did see it from multiple points you could triangleate .

They got a hot crustacean band:

images

I'll see myself out...

You would be using passive sonar for listening and would need at least two detectors to determine a distance, three to triangulate. The active sonar echo would only help when you were close

Thank you for both of your thoughtful responses. I couldn't sleep, so late-late at night I started reading about active and passive sonars which lead me to read about the USA's Seawolf class of submarines which was interesting enough to keep me up until dawn.

Active sonar (echolocation ) is shorter range than passive. Think of it like this: you're standing on the shore of a lake. Someone on the opposite side miles away turns on a flashlight and shines it at you. You'll see the dot of light from their flashlight, but can't actually see them (passive) . Even if you turn your own light that way (active) it wouldn't be enough to illuminate them. You wouldn't be able to tell how far away they are either. They could be 2 miles away on the shore or 1 mile away on a boat. Now if you did see it from multiple points you could triangleate .

You post and one other one lead to me reading about SONAR and the Seawolf class of submarine. It was a very interesting to read about the types of SONAR and then about the incredibly capable Seawolf submarine.

Reactions: chatsworth_vol
Thank you for both of your thoughtful responses. I couldn't sleep, so late-late at night I started reading about active and passive sonars which lead me to read about the USA's Seawolf class of submarines which was interesting enough to keep me up until dawn.
Lol I am the same way. I'll start looking up some random thing and 9/10 times I'll fall down some rabbit hole for hours. It really happens when I'm looking up something military or historical.

Reactions: Drewbydoo

VN Store

Back