What car did y'all have for your very first car?

'57 Chevy Bel Air Classic turquoise and white, steering wheel the size of a manhole and a 4 barrel carb that kicked in at 57 mph. Problem was Dad bought it new and it had been rode hard a put up wet. I had fun goofing on people to find the gas cap.

Reactions: malinoisvol
1993 Ford Mustang...

...but with the asthmatic boat anchor 2.3L 4cyl.

We rebuilt it from a front end wreck. Looked ok, but good God was it slow. Which is probably why my Dad was ok with me getting it looking back on it...

Reactions: malinoisvol
How do you like the Fiat?

Love it. Absolute blast to drive. You can go all out and have good time without risking imprisonment levels of speeding.

I think it looks far better than the Miata it is based on and I prefer the turbo approach rather than the current Miata engine.

Turbo lag is quite pronounced but the car is easy to tune. I haven't done a tune (may not) but I have put an exhaust (muffler delete) and a GoPedal (changes the throttle mapping like a "Sport" mode). Neither changes the amount of power but the GoPedal helps tremendously with the turbo lag.

The other thing is they are cheap. I got a 2017 last year for just under 21K - sticker when new the year before was about $34K.

Japanese reliability and build quality with Italian design flair. The engine (Fiat 1.4L turbo) has been around a while (hence all the tuning options) and has a good reliability record. The transmission is from the previous generation Miata (NC) and has a long reliable history.

Reactions: 1972 Grad
this is the exhaust I put on - gets loudish when you get on it hard but otherwise sounds great and has nice burbles

[VIDEO=]

Started out driving the family '72 LTD. What a beast. It was a good car with a huge motor that would scream. We'd flip the air cleaner cover over when we got out of view. also split time with the '76 ford Granada. My first car bought was a '67 Stang Coupe 200 Sprint 4 banger. But, it'd do 120 without fail. then a 68 Camaro and on to a 69 Camaro 307 Powerglide.

79 Cordoba like this pic
a7289e8b1ca85cd269260199d2a02a35.jpg

those were super sweet pimp cars.

Reactions: 508mikey
Friend had a early model Sciaracco. Absolute blast and very quick and nimble. It would give you a white knuckle ride. He was a pro at the "lane change " maneuver. And it would take 90 degree lefts at about 45 mph.

I'm highly disappointed. 8 pages and not one person has owned up to having a Yugo.

I'm highly disappointed. 8 pages and not one person has owned up to having a Yugo.

I rode to high school a few times with a girl that had a Yugo...while sitting in the back seat, I could rock the car so violently that it felt like it would tip over. Lol

Reactions: Obsessed
Started out driving the family '72 LTD. What a beast. It was a good car with a huge motor that would scream. We'd flip the air cleaner cover over when we got out of view. also split time with the '76 ford Granada. My first car bought was a '67 Stang Coupe 200 Sprint 4 banger. But, it'd do 120 without fail. then a 68 Camaro and on to a 69 Camaro 307 Powerglide.

lol The first car I ever took over 100 mph when I was a kid was my parents' LTD. Would have been probably a mid-70s model. It had no trouble getting there power-wise but the hood shimmy at speed was a little off-putting.

I thought our cars were fast back in the day and many posters are talking about how fast their first cars were.

Actually, even performance cars were slow back in the day compared to relatively mundane cars of today.

A high performance LTD (1972; 429 V8) had a 0-60 time of about 10 seconds; A new Honda Odyssey (mini van) would smoke it with a 0-60 time of 6.7! (for comparison is the same as a 1988 Camaro IROC-Z or 1992 Camaro Z28)

Sub seven second 0-60 times are very common today but exceedingly rare back in our "first car" days.

Often they felt fast relative to other cars and because they handled so crappily that it was terrifying.

80 Chevy Chevette. I moved to Indiana in 84 and I remember in early 85 taking the car in for an oil change and the mechanic asking me why i wanted to change oil on a disposable car!
Oh man... I as well had one of those pieces of crap. Almost got wiped out trying to pass a car... could not accelerate and just missed a head on. Who in the hell designed that mistake and give it a "vette" name.

My cousin had a yellow German VW Thing (his 1st car). We cruised around Memphis and West TN a lot in the 90s. I though it was the coolest car on the planet. Especially with the top down.

I rode to high school a few times with a girl that had a Yugo...while sitting in the back seat, I could rock the car so violently that it felt like it would tip over. Lol
Every time I hear Yugo, I think of a young girl being interviewed on television back in the Yugo days. She was a spoiled rich girl, about to get her first car, and her dad said "how about a Yugo?" To that, she answered "you go to hell."

Reactions: RavinDave
1969 Chevelle Malibu
1977 VW Rabbit
197? Dodge Coronet
1983 Honda Civic
1988 Chevy S-10
1989 Honda Civic Si
1994 Toyota Tacoma 4X4
1996 Toyota 4Runner
1998 Audi A4
1991 Mazda Miata
1987 BMW 325
1998 BMW 325i
1994 BMW 530i
1990 BMW 325i convertible
1999 Lexus RX 350
2001 Audi A4 Avant
2004 Audi A4 Avant
2005 BMW 325i
2005 BMW 330i
2005 BMW 325i
2003 BMW 530i
2013 BMW 335i
2015 BMW 325i
2015 BMW 325i wagon*
2014 Audi S4
1994 Nissan Pathfinder
2008 Honda CRv*
2002 Porsche Boxster
2008 Porsche Boxster
2001 Toyota Tacoma
2016 Toyota Tacoma
2017 Fiat 124 Spider*
2018 VW GTI
2010 GMC Sierra 4x4
1988 Mazda B2000
2016 Jeep Wrangler

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

* current
You had a 16’ Wrangler and Tacoma and already got rid of it?

firebird-front-e1507266100470.jpg

'89 Firebird Formula. Looked almost identical to the pic above. Think it had 89,000 miles when we bought it (~2007). My dad and I ended up painting it and putting a smaller spoiler on it. It was a blast to drive. Sold it before going away to college because it didn't have airbags.

Oh man... I as well had one of those pieces of crap. Almost got wiped out trying to pass a car... could not accelerate and just missed a head on. Who in the hell designed that mistake and give it a "vette" name.
Transgender car:
etteDictionary result for -ette
suffix
suffix: -ette
forming nouns denoting relatively small size.
"kitchenette"
forming nouns denoting an imitation or substitute.
"flannelette"
forming nouns denoting female gender.
"suffragette"

This is almost my first car. Mine was 1965 Fairlane 289 auto on the column. Mine was solid baby blue with blue and white seats and interior. It came with Ford hub caps and not chrome wheels. I later bought a set from a salvage yard. Sick your arms out the windows and these little cars could fly.

12276418-1965-ford-fairlane-500-std.jpg

VN Store

Back