What can we expect from LSU and what does it take to win this game?

I haven't seen many games with LSU this year and was wondering how we stack up against them. Will it be an uphill battle for us?
I watched LSU control both sides of the line of scrimmage in their win over Mississippi State, a team I consider to be good. I would even say UT and Miss State are similar, except that MS has a better defense.

UT can win the LSU game, but they can't make mistakes and they have to be physical on the line. I hope the Vols win, but to be quite honest, I am not all that confident they will.

That said, UT has found a way to win every game so far and LSU has not. So I can't really pick against the Vols in this one.

Go Big Orange!

LSU lost to FSU. Beat Southern, a down MissSt team, and New Mexico. They're not a high powered offense even though they put 65 on Southern. I don't see them stopping our offense. Our defense has to hold then to 20-28 pts and we'll get out of there with a win.

Last edited:
Jayden Daniels is a good quarterback. Their offense has been pretty good since the second half of the FSU game. The defense has been terrific the past three games. They’re currently ranked 12th in total defense. Their special teams have been really bad so far this season.
2 of those games were against Southern and New Mexico. Two abysmal teams on offense

It's strength on strength. Our O against their D.

Their oline has underperformed this year. Our secondary has underperformed.

The concern is their D is a better version of Pitt's D.
Gonna be a big challenge.
Pitt's front 7 are better than LSU's. This is an 11am local kick, they didn't get the night game like they wanted. Tennessee gonna kick their ass in their place. Just like after Katrina.

Tenn OL has to play their best game yet. LSU is very good on DL, especially edge guys. They lost a preseason All SEC DT for the season in the first game, plugged another 5* Freshman in and he’s playing good. Their DBs are the weak spot.

LSU has great WRs, equal to ours, and good QB. Their weakness on offense is OL. Tennessee DL has to win their match ups and get after Daniels. He’s very elusive but I don’t think he has Richardson speed. He can kill you running thou.
Boutte is a basket case. I don't think he cares for Kelly and his offense.

Reactions: norrislakevol
I haven't seen many games with LSU this year and was wondering how we stack up against them. Will it be an uphill battle for us?
Odd to say but I think they're just now finding their identity. Hopefully Auburn can flesh that out more. They lost to FSU but would probably beat them even now. They've been better than UT on D. Their outing vs MSU was impressive though a lot of that was simply athletic advantage. They're good on O but their FCS opponent skewed that some. Versus FBS only, they're 10th in scoring in the SEC.

UT contained AR fairly well running the ball. I don't think Daniels is as good of a runner but he is a big part of their run game and especially against better competition. He leads the team in both yards and carries.

They throw a lot of short stuff so UT needs to tighten up there. Daniels so far prefers to dink and dunk. He's 3rd in the SEC in completion % and 9th in yds/att. Hooker leads the conference at 10.6 yds/att with Daniels at 7.5. Neither has thrown a pick which is interesting. But you have to factor in that Daniels throws a ton of short passes.

One possible soft spot is that LSU is 13th in the SEC in sacks allowed with 13. UT is 8th with 8 allowed in spite of throwing deeper routes. UT might have an opportunity bringing a lot of heat. This also points to why LSU throws short a lot- their OL isn't very good in pass protection or in opening holes for their RB's.

They're at least as QB dependent as UT and probably more. Probably a match up of the two most talented WR groups in the SEC if not the country. UT has to play tighter or they'll dink and dunk us to death. At the same time, there are opportunities in the QB pressure.

LSU's defense is very salty. The OL will have to play at their best to keep Hendon clean. They've always got DBs and this year is no exception. Can our pace force them into mistakes is the question. Miss State didn't use tempo or spacing and IMO made it easy for LSU to just bring blitzes and overall pressure without being threatened by the Miss St passing game. MSU was able to pop some big plays running the ball but overall LSU shut them down on the ground. Offensively, Daniels made some plays with his legs but he's no AR or even Bryce or Bennett. He doesn't seem to have that innate ability to take off and run when its there but if you make obvious running lanes he will exploit them. If our DL can collapse the pocket and stay in their lanes we can get some mistakes out of him, IMO. Mistakes are what turned the MSU game in their favor, but if we limit ours and create enough on their end I think we can win. Overall, if we can manufacture some run game and not be one dimensional, get some turnovers and continue to be good against the run on defense, and start fast I think we win. If they can get their conventional run game going, Daniels is comfortable, and/or we are sloppy on offense, we will lose and it could be a bit ugly.

I have watched zero minutes of LSU this year. However if their O line is underperforming, our chances to win are pretty good.

Im guessing this is the biggest test to date for the Vols and hope the players are focused and ready.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
If we win next weekend, it will be because our defense stepped up. Our secondary has got to be better than they were against Florida. The defensive line wasn't bad last week, but we cannot allow the 10-15 yard slant every single time. Defense has to tighten up, offense needs to play like they did last week, and we can't have any mistakes on special teams.

LSU is very beatable this year. I like our chances.

Running QB who runs more than Kelly likes his QB’s too.

I’m not sure they are ready for our speed of snaps on offense. I think this game is close if we turnover like UF game.

I’m hearing the matchup in our weaknesses is favorable, i.e. our DL vs. their OL.

Odd to say but I think they're just now finding their identity. Hopefully Auburn can flesh that out more. They lost to FSU but would probably beat them even now. They've been better than UT on D. Their outing vs MSU was impressive though a lot of that was simply athletic advantage. They're good on O but their FCS opponent skewed that some. Versus FBS only, they're 10th in scoring in the SEC.

UT contained AR fairly well running the ball. I don't think Daniels is as good of a runner but he is a big part of their run game and especially against better competition. He leads the team in both yards and carries.

They throw a lot of short stuff so UT needs to tighten up there. Daniels so far prefers to dink and dunk. He's 3rd in the SEC in completion % and 9th in yds/att. Hooker leads the conference at 10.6 yds/att with Daniels at 7.5. Neither has thrown a pick which is interesting. But you have to factor in that Daniels throws a ton of short passes.

One possible soft spot is that LSU is 13th in the SEC in sacks allowed with 13. UT is 8th with 8 allowed in spite of throwing deeper routes. UT might have an opportunity bringing a lot of heat. This also points to why LSU throws short a lot- their OL isn't very good in pass protection or in opening holes for their RB's.

They're at least as QB dependent as UT and probably more. Probably a match up of the two most talented WR groups in the SEC if not the country. UT has to play tighter or they'll dink and dunk us to death. At the same time, there are opportunities in the QB pressure.

Sounds like if we do a similar defensive game plan to what we did in the Pitt game we should be fine. Take away the short routes and make him hold the ball longer leading to more sacks.

Tennessee is due for one of those explosion-out-of-the-gates games like we had last year against Missouri and South Carolina. It came at about this spot on the schedule, right after Florida. I hope we jump on them early with some big scoring plays and I hope Sampson is a part of at least one of them.

I’ll take it. I could see this game going any number of ways, from getting beaten badly to putting it out of reach for them in the first half. Gut feeling is some hard fought game that is close and gives me a bunch of stress. If we do what you suggest and we have a nice low drama game though, that sounds just fine to me.

I think we win by 17 to 24 points, I know it sounds crazy but we have been involved in two shootout games already, I think the defense will have a better game plan and we can score on anybody, I just think this may be a true breakout game where both sides play well in the same game, its gonna happen eventually, why not against LSU?
1664545746538.gif

Reactions: StarRaider
Saturday October 8th will take forever to get here, and if we are 5-0 at 4pm October 8th, then October 15th will feel like an eternity.
This bye week is great timing, but with all our positive momentum as fans it's the worst!

Reactions: CSVol

VN Store

Back