What are your personal thoughts on current College Baseball Bravado?

I was about to say taylorvol. There might not have been beaning but there was definitely retaliation by the umpires and I think it will continue. You can't beat 12 guys and the guy in Hoover if you are hated by the powers that be. Push it to the line but don't step over and that line is hard to see.

I want more antics, trash talk and confidence between teams and players.There's a reason why there was a lot of excitement and noise around the baseball team last year. You can say we looked foolish, but we won alot of games, and did so in exciting fashion. We were SEC season and tournament champs. If we would have won the whole thing last year, we would have been the best team in history and confidently so. That's how you do it. Leave no room for doubt. Tell them you are better than them, give them all the motivation in the world to beat you, and still dominate them.
…and did the same trash talk, disrespect, and antics cause UT to lose the chance at a ship? You be the judge. How many teams have won championships without all the disrespectful BS? I bleed orange and love much of the qualities Vitello and the team exudes. I don’t like cussing and taunting the opposing team, cussing and disrespecting the umpires, shooting the bird while rounding the bases, etc. Why would you want to give an already good team more motivation to beat you? Makes no sense. We are already paying a price for the BS from last year.

…and did the same trash talk, disrespect, and antics cause UT to lose the chance at a ship? You be the judge. How many teams have won championships without all the disrespectful BS? I bleed orange and love much of the qualities Vitello and the team exudes. I don’t like cussing and taunting the opposing team, cussing and disrespecting the umpires, shooting the bird while rounding the bases, etc. Why would you want to give an already good team more motivation to beat you? Makes no sense. We are already paying a price for the BS from last year.

No absolutley not. The antics gave the guys confidence to get the where they did. It what makes Tennessee an attractice destination for recruits. They want to compete at the highest level and have fun.

Baseball is a wierd spot where the best teams can lose to anyone in a best of 3 series. It happens. We still won SEC championship and season tourny. Congrats to teams like Ole Miss and Ms state that won the national championships. No one remembers those teams because they were mediocre all year and happened to make a run at the end. Good for them.

And if we happen to be playing a price for last year, thats great. It sharpens our guys to be better. I have no problem with that.

Reactions: vol66
I agree, but the umps, they did. That was obvious and I think what. @preacherman20 is saying is our reputation from last year proceeds us now.

I can see both sides of this debate, I’m not particularly partial to either side in this one.
Umpires are human. I guarantee some bragged to their buddies, “that crap with TN ain’t happening on my watch”. I will admit it, if I didn’t know what an awesome guy Drew Gilbert, Luc Lipsius, and Evan Russell were off the field, and IF I was a fan of an opposing team, I’d despise the BaseVols for their antics. Most umpires won’t give UT the benefit of the doubt until they show them more respect. The 23 team has become the hunted by opposing teams and likely by many umpires. It will be interesting to see their identity as the season progresses.

I was about to say taylorvol. There might not have been beaning but there was definitely retaliation by the umpires and I think it will continue. You can't beat 12 guys and the guy in Hoover if you are hated by the powers that be. Push it to the line but don't step over and that line is hard to see.
I’m sure CTV has umpires talk to the teams about “dos and dont‘s” in dealing with the umpires. Hopefully it gets better as that’s an argument the players will always lose. Leave the umpire interactions to CTV.

Umpires are human. I guarantee some bragged to their buddies, “that crap with TN ain’t happening on my watch”. I will admit it, if I didn’t know what an awesome guy Drew Gilbert, Luc Lipsius, and Evan Russell were off the field, and IF I was a fan of an opposing team, I’d despise the BaseVols for their antics. Most umpires won’t give UT the benefit of the doubt until they show them more respect. The 23 team has become the hunted by opposing teams and likely by many umpires. It will be interesting to see their identity as the season progresses.

That first sentence, you bet! I believe that 100%.

Do college umps have no accountability?

In the past in MLB, if you pissed off an ump, they absolutely squeezed you. They can't do that any longer because every call is scrutinized.

Reactions: peerless98

In the past in MLB, if you pissed off an ump, they absolutely squeezed you. They can't do that any longer because every call is scrutinized.
Isn’t that in large part due to oversight provided by Umpire Report Card?

I’m sure CTV has umpires talk to the teams about “dos and dont‘s” in dealing with the umpires. Hopefully it gets better as that’s an argument the players will always lose. Leave the umpire interactions to CTV.
It was obvious the players were being showed that they are not in control of the game this weekend. I think they crossed many lines last year. Celebrate it's great but just don't go over the top. As far as questioning the ump , well I don't think that's going to go well this year. Guys better learn how to address the ump or it's going to get ugly that's CTV job. I just hope they don't take the fun out of the game. Umps shouldn't hold these players accountable for what last year's team has done. I think they were sending a message this weekend. GBO !!!

It's all fun and games until a Kentucky player does a bat flip after getting a base on balls in the SEC tourney.

As a former umpire and basketball and football referee in college, that is not going to happen. I was sent to a ballgame one time just to take control. The assigner sent me because there was a lot of mouth the day before in the playoffs. He told me point blank. Start throwing them out from the top down and it won't take long for them to understand. I think that is what is happening and happened in the playoffs last year. The umpires were told to clean it up and I think that is the case this year. I was really surprised a certain player was not ejected this weekend when he questioned several pitches, the ultimate no no in baseball. I think we have to change our approach to umpires of it will be a long season and a small strike zone for our elite pitching. If they make you throw every pitch through the heart of the plate it moves a great pitcher down to a normal pitcher.

I want more antics, trash talk and confidence between teams and players.There's a reason why there was a lot of excitement and noise around the baseball team last year. You can say we looked foolish, but we won alot of games, and did so in exciting fashion. We were SEC season and tournament champs. If we would have won the whole thing last year, we would have been the best team in history and confidently so. That's how you do it. Leave no room for doubt. Tell them you are better than them, give them all the motivation in the world to beat you, and still dominate them.

The reason there was a lot of excitement around the baseball team this year had to with winning and performance, not celebration. The talent makes the games exciting not the antics and celebration. I hope the antics did not detract from the the athletes and their performance.

Would you attend or watch a Lady Vols soccer match if they had the same antics and only won half their games?

If you think our “antics” is what lost us the Supers then there’s probably no hope for you anyway

True, but a few close pitches here or there can seriously affect the outcome and not be suspicious.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
As a former umpire and basketball and football referee in college, that is not going to happen. I was sent to a ballgame one time just to take control. The assigner sent me because there was a lot of mouth the day before in the playoffs. He told me point blank. Start throwing them out from the top down and it won't take long for them to understand. I think that is what is happening and happened in the playoffs last year. The umpires were told to clean it up and I think that is the case this year. I was really surprised a certain player was not ejected this weekend when he questioned several pitches, the ultimate no no in baseball. I think we have to change our approach to umpires of it will be a long season and a small strike zone for our elite pitching. If they make you throw every pitch through the heart of the plate it moves a great pitcher down to a normal pitcher.

All good points. Umpiring is a lot about managing the game. Most base runners call themselves out to be honest. The same reasons that they let 'in the neighborhood' double play turns also applies to keep antics and emotions in check. Too much howling about balls and strikes will always result in fewer strikes. The way to play an umpire is between innings walking back to your dugout from the 1st or 3rd base coaching box. A good catcher usually knows how to work an umpire without being obnoxious about it. Showing one up will get you fewer calls.

All that being said, bat flips, home run celebrations, etc. will be handled by rules committees and conferences just like spiking footballs and swinging on the rim after dunks. The emotional components will be handled by rules and the players will adjust.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The reason there was a lot of excitement around the baseball team this year had to with winning and performance, not celebration. The talent makes the games exciting not the antics and celebration. I hope the antics did not detract from the the athletes and their performance.

Would you attend or watch a Lady Vols soccer match if they had the same antics and only won half their games?

Bad analogy. I'm not attending a Lady Vols soccer match no matter what......

I have officiated youth and high school sports (baseball, volleyball and basketball). And although I did not approve of some of the behavior that I saw, including poor sportsmanship, taunting, etc., I did not feel that it was right to penalize a team by changing the way that I called the game. No matter whether an umpire approves or disapproves of UT antics, it is his job to officiate the game fairly and honestly. If he can not do that, he should not be an umpire.

VN Store

Back