What are your favorite John Ward calls of all time?

Post links to YouTube/audio if you can.

98 National Championship and Miracle at South Bend come to mind, along with the 98 Florida game.

These all day long. I was camping with my dad and uncles for the miracle at SB. We had a partial tv signal but could hear every play on the radio.

I don't know if this one has been posted, but it brings tears to my eyes. Truly the greatest calls, one of which was noteworthy because he missed the call. Pure humility, always great, John Ward.
The Voice of the Vols John Ward - YouTube

This video right here is the single greatest YouTube video ever made. Literally hundreds of great calls on there, all through the decades of John Ward. I get chills watching it.

I feel sorry for anyone who never got to hear Ward call a game and glad that I heard a bunch of them in the 80's and 90's. He was one of a kind and loved Tennessee.

My avatar is the students tearing down the goal post after the 98 Florida game so that is obviously at the top for me. “No sir-ee, No sir-ee, pandemonium reigns”. My daughter was born in 98 and was only about 2 months old. She was watching the game in her little swing when Florida missed the FG. To this day I give her credit for cheering the Vols to victory.

Reactions: FïreBall

98 National Championship and Miracle at South Bend come to mind, along with the 98 Florida game.
There was one in 95 against Mississippi state. Shane Burton blocked a punt and ran it in for a TD from the 5. Ward said he lumbered and waddled counting yards into the end zone. Very funny since he was my bud and got to give him junk for it.

I’m new to the forum, I’ve lurked or stalked Vol Nation for some time lol. One of the greatest memories of my life was Labor Day Weekend. Every year my friends and family members would go Camping (squirrel hunting). It was wonderful times growing up. Every year we would listen to the game on the radio. Everyone would just sit in camp and listen to the game, great memories. John Ward WAS the voice of the Vols!

Reactions: GulfCoasterVol

Pretty sure I remember a story where a guy called in to a pregame show after the Miracle at South Bend. He told JW that he was driving, listening to the game, and nearly drove off the road. JW actually called the final FG good for ND and then said it was no good.

Edit: If I had read further, I would see the discussion now.

Reactions: Freak

VN Store

Back