Western Illinois Preview, 2/14 - 2/16

OldTimer

919 miles
Staff member
getting excited for opening weekend..........might be predicting a sweep!

logo_container_main.png

The Western Illinois Leathernecks have a core of senior leadership on the team that will be key for the Leathernecks’ success, but the newcomers will also provide great athleticism and much needed depth all-around.

Leading the Leathernecks’ offense is senior Drue Galassi. The right fielder hit .298/.379/.527 with 10 home runs and 51 RBIs in 2019. The 3-hole hitter also brings speed on the basepaths, swiping 14 bags in 19 attempts last year. Another senior leading the way is shortstop Kevin Raisbeck. Raisbeck hit.291/.395/.341 as a junior and will hit leadoff for WIU this year. Seven upperclassmen returning, new to the lineup will be freshmen Jayden Gibson and Adam Juran who will split time behind the plate with the departure of CJ Schaeffer.

The Leathernecks return a workhorse in Javin Drake to the pitching staff. The Friday night guy returns for his senior season after going 7-6, 4.37 with 109 strikeouts and 42 walks in 103 innings as a junior. The righthander was a First-Team All-Summit selection last year and comes in at No. 28 in our 2020 Top 150 Pitchers rankings. Following behind him in the rotation are juniors Jace Warkentien and Jack Carberry. Both saw plenty of action last season with the lefthander Warkentien going 3-4, 4.41 with 74 strikeouts and 41 walks in 87.2 innings and the righthander Carberry going 5-4, 6.67 with 47 strikeouts and 33 walks in 55.1 innings.

Leatherneck Schedule, 2020 Baseball Schedule - Western Illinois University Athletics

Leatherneck Roster, 2020 Baseball Roster - Western Illinois University Athletics

Woo hoo!

Preemptive Sweep & Make it a double

now this isn't the Pick'em thread, I'll post it on Monday before the series.........don't want you to think you submitted your pick and don't actually pick in the correct post.

Rules state you must pick in the correct thread. Oh wait, I just made that rule up....:)

now this isn't the Pick'em thread, I'll post it on Monday before the series.........don't want you to think you submitted your pick and don't actually pick in the correct post.

Rules state you must pick in the correct thread. Oh wait, I just made that rule up....:)

I knew it wasn’t, just a natural reaction. 😀

Man oh man like a kid on Christmas. Between the BaseVols and the Lookouts, it’s the most wonderful time of the year. Looking forward to attending a bunch of games this year!

Reactions: RollerVol

Oldtimer breakin' balls in the preseason!

Reactions: feathersax

VN Store

Back