Westbrook Comits to UCONN

Football leads the way and UConn sucks at football. Until their football improves their WCBB suffer conference wise

UCONN football plays in a 38,000 seat stadium, and their football program is horrible.

If you are Dreaming, the University of Memphis has a better chance of getting in a power 5 conference than UCONN. Their football program is much better, and their men's basketball team is about to be very good.

Women's basketball programs are insignificant when power 5 conferences consider new members. The AAC as a whole sucks in women's basketball.

Last edited:
UCONN football plays in a 38,000 seat stadium, and their football program is horrible.

If you are Dreaming, the University of Memphis has a better chance of getting in a power 5 conference than UCONN. Their football program is much better, and their men's basketball team is about to be very good.

Women's basketball programs are insignificant when power 5 conferences consider new members. The AAC as a whole sucks in women's basketball.

It doesn't look like any power five conferences will be expanding in the near future. But It also doesn't impact UConn women's basketball in a big way as long as Geno is there. Time will tell how long that will be. He doesn't appear to be going anywhere soon.

You can trash the AAC all you want. It doesn't seem to impact the success of the program. They will be a final four team again in 2019-20.

Reactions: meyers7
It doesn't look like any power five conferences will be expanding in the near future. But It also doesn't impact UConn women's basketball in a big way as long as Geno is there. Time will tell how long that will be. He doesn't appear to be going anywhere soon.

You can trash the AAC all you want. It doesn't seem to impact the success of the program. They will be a final four team again in 2019-20.

Banned Mdoggie is back with a new avatar. Some folks just can't take a hint.

Fair point.

However, the conference right below them is still not as good as the AAC even if UConn wasn't there.

You seem like a fair person. Do you agree with his premise that UConn is in one of the worst conferences in WCBB?

While it does not appear that the AAC would be one of the "worst" conferences without UConn, it might be close. I can't personally figure out the RPI of the conference without UConn's stats, but I'm not sure your comment about being better than the 10th ranked conference by RPI is necessarily accurate. For example, without UConn's stats, the AAC only has 3 of 11 teams with winning conference records and has 6 teams with overall losing records. The Colonial Conference (the next in RPI) has 4 teams out of 10 with losing conference records and the same 4 teams have overall losing records. The Colonial RPI is 0.5105 compared to the AAC at 0.5225 with UConn's record figured in. While I haven't, as I said, figured the AAC RPI without UConn, I could see it being easily .05 to .08 points lower putting it anywhere from 17th to 27th in the RPI ranking. Certainly not "one of the worst", but also nothing to crow (or in the case of UConn - bark) about.

What is more disturbing, in my opinion, is the disparity between UConn and the rest of the field in the AAC. While I realize that UConn women's basketball doesn't have any control over the conference that UConn plays in, it does have to be recognized that for UConn women, the conference schedule is essentially glorified scrimmage. A situation that has to be, in my opinion, particularly disheartening for the rest of the conference. Personally, I think it would have been a more reasonable move for UConn to have gone with the new Big East. Unfortunately, at the time of the split, UConn apparently had the aspirations of being a "football" school. The administration hasn't shown the willingness to invest the money to make improvements (and at this point may be unable to. I've heard some rumors of financial difficulty within the athletic department) that might get them conceivable attention from one of the P5 conferences.

Jim

Reactions: Franklin Pierce

We didn’t think Pat Summitt was going anywhere soon either. Don’t come over here bragging about Geno cause you never know what tomorrow brings.

We didn’t think Pat Summitt was going anywhere soon either. Don’t come over here bragging about Geno cause you never know what tomorrow brings.

Sorry about the bragging. I thought that was pretty mild.

I suppose Geno could have to leave coaching for a variety of reasons. Illness is certainly one of them. He is 65 years old, so who knows.

But until then I'll just assume he will be coaching for a few more years and worry about that when it happens.

Reactions: mcannon1
While it does not appear that the AAC would be one of the "worst" conferences without UConn, it might be close. I can't personally figure out the RPI of the conference without UConn's stats, but I'm not sure your comment about being better than the 10th ranked conference by RPI is necessarily accurate. For example, without UConn's stats, the AAC only has 3 of 11 teams with winning conference records and has 6 teams with overall losing records. The Colonial Conference (the next in RPI) has 4 teams out of 10 with losing conference records and the same 4 teams have overall losing records. The Colonial RPI is 0.5105 compared to the AAC at 0.5225 with UConn's record figured in. While I haven't, as I said, figured the AAC RPI without UConn, I could see it being easily .05 to .08 points lower putting it anywhere from 17th to 27th in the RPI ranking. Certainly not "one of the worst", but also nothing to crow (or in the case of UConn - bark) about.

What is more disturbing, in my opinion, is the disparity between UConn and the rest of the field in the AAC. While I realize that UConn women's basketball doesn't have any control over the conference that UConn plays in, it does have to be recognized that for UConn women, the conference schedule is essentially glorified scrimmage. A situation that has to be, in my opinion, particularly disheartening for the rest of the conference. Personally, I think it would have been a more reasonable move for UConn to have gone with the new Big East. Unfortunately, at the time of the split, UConn apparently had the aspirations of being a "football" school. The administration hasn't shown the willingness to invest the money to make improvements (and at this point may be unable to. I've heard some rumors of financial difficulty within the athletic department) that might get them conceivable attention from one of the P5 conferences.

Jim

I'm not sure why the makeup of the AAC bothers you so much where it disturbs you.

The fact remains that UConn IS in the AAC and with them in it, the conference is the 9th rated RPI conference.

Reactions: mcannon1
I'm not sure why the makeup of the AAC bothers you so much where it disturbs you.

The fact remains that UConn is in the AAC and with them in it, the conference is the 9th rated RPI conference.

The makeup of the AAC doesn't "bother [me] so much where it disturbs [me]" whatever that means. You asked me a question and I answered it, trying to give a reasoned explanation for that answer. Apparently you either didn't get the response you expected or you didn't like the response you got, because now, in my opinion, you're trying to move the goal posts. The fact is that UConn is in the AAC and yes, their involvement with that conference raises the conference RPI, but the UConn women should not be playing in a conference that they are essentially guaranteed to win every year and that amounts to no more than a series of glorified scrimmages, as I said previously, it hurts not only their stature, but it hurts the athletic administration pocketbook because attendance has been slipping for some time and I personally believe that the lack of quality games is a contributing factor to that decline. It's not something that the women's basketball staff can control, it just is what it is.

As to Geno's longevity, I believe that Geno will, barring some force out of his control, coach, at a minimum, until he has surpassed Pat Summit's total wins. If he continues on the same trajectory that he has over the last ten years, or so, I expect that will be within the next two seasons.

Jim

I don't care which Conf UCONN plays in all I know is their program is light years ahead of us and their Conf does not seem to hurt them! We are in the SEC arguably one of the strongest and how is that helping us? Success in WCBB is measured by Final Fours they are playing in it every year and we are watching it on TV hating them for playing in it every year!

I don't care which Conf UCONN plays in all I know is their program is light years ahead of us and their Conf does not seem to hurt them! We are in the SEC arguably one of the strongest and how is that helping us? Success in WCBB is measured by Final Fours they are playing in it every year and we are watching it on TV hating them for playing in it every year!

When I read that I was like, very funny... Only way that conf is hurting them is making $$$.. because nobody have time to watch them beat teams by 100. Other than that, it doesn't hurt their standard of playing at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

I agree with what you say... the cupcake conference that UConn fears on doesn’t make us $#!+. Nor should it. We should be worrying about our team.

However, I think where it’s been hurting them is in the final four because they are put in situations they haven’t had to face. Their out of conference schedule is tough because he doesn’t mind playing tough teams but it also has to be!

Another poster said in 5-10 years UConn will be in the ACC I just don’t see that. They don’t offer much besides women’s basketball. Their football team isn’t like UCF or Memphis in the 25 nor are they known for academics. Their men’s basketball has also taken hits. Now I can see them in conference USA which could be seen as an overall step up in league play for teams.

I agree with what you say... the cupcake conference that UConn fears on doesn’t make us $#!+. Nor should it. We should be worrying about our team.

However, I think where it’s been hurting them is in the final four because they are put in situations they haven’t had to face. Their out of conference schedule is tough because he doesn’t mind playing tough teams but it also has to be!

Another poster said in 5-10 years UConn will be in the ACC I just don’t see that. They don’t offer much besides women’s basketball. Their football team isn’t like UCF or Memphis in the 25 nor are they known for academics. Their men’s basketball has also taken hits. Now I can see them in conference USA which could be seen as an overall step up in league play for teams.[/QUOTE. Lady Vol fans are to concerned with UCONN and their hopeful inevitable demise we should be more concerned with Miss St S Carolina UK Vandy etc! SMH!

I believe their relatively weak conference is catching up to them. The past few years, UCONN hasn’t played up to their standard during close FF games. I believe it’s due to the lack of competitiveness in their conference and conference tourney. I also believe Geno is aware of this, which is why he tries to schedule late season out of conference games, but he is limited in playing OOC opponents. The latest OCC games are in early February.

I believe if UCONN played in the ACC they would have won the title the past few years. I get the sense, deep down, Husky fans feel the same way.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
The problem with this "analysis" is that, if you remove UConn from the AAC calculation, the strength of the conference as determined by RPI would decrease dramatically. The one thing that the UConn coaching staff must be given credit for is recognizing the detrimental effect of the conference on their RPI and beefing up the out-of-conference schedule to make up for that.
The fact that UConn's individual RPI is so high (because of the out-of-conference schedule), however, does not, in reality, make the AAC stronger, it just makes it look better on paper!

Jim
True, however if you take the best team out of any league and the RPI will go down for that league (granted not as sharply as taking CT out of the AAC). However even though the AAC is not a top 5 league, neither is it "one of the worst". That was just some hyperbole by Frankie. (which he couldn't back up)

Reactions: 1reVOLver

VN Store

Back