West Virginia transfer C - Matt McCormick (Vol)

I will not elaborate on why he left. But I can promise you Q has a very hard work out system. But it definitely works. Kirby lost an extreme amount of weight and body fat and he’s putting back on muscle. I was told by a friend that the program of work out at West Virginia was totally different than the expectations at UT. Because he was there for the first week of classes, I do not think he will be able to transfer anywhere without sitting a year and I’m not sure he has a year of eligibility left but I’m not positive on that.

I actually have six degrees of separation from the redshirt freshman catcher that likely will win the job.

I hear he’s thrilled. I’m a little disappointed to hear on the board folks think he may be a weak link, though. I haven’t followed it closely enough.

Reactions: td23
I actually have six degrees of separation from the redshirt freshman catcher that likely will win the job.

I hear he’s thrilled. I’m a little disappointed to hear on the board folks think he may be a weak link, though. I haven’t followed it closely enough.

I think it's more just worry about the unknown and Tennessee fans being Tennessee fans, but there has also been support expressed on the board for young catchers who were already on the roster.

The “red shirt freshman” part of that post is throwing me off. Maybe about someone not listed on the roster yet? Anyway, yeah, I haven’t seen any negative post regarding that position, not anymore than any other that requires a new guy.

The “red shirt freshman” part of that post is throwing me off. Maybe about someone not listed on the roster yet? Anyway, yeah, I haven’t seen any negative post regarding that position, not anymore than any other that requires a new guy.

I may be mistaken, but Revived may be talking about Charlie Taylor. I’ve seen him classified as a redshirt freshman somewhere before. He is currently listed as a sophomore on the fall roster.

I may be mistaken, but Revived may be talking about Charlie Taylor. I’ve seen him classified as a redshirt freshman somewhere before. He is currently listed as a sophomore on the fall roster.

Yep, I am wondering if there’s somebody else, but Charlie could be a RSF, and I haven’t seen any posts saying he can’t get it done or something like that.

Reactions: Revived2002
Yep, I am wondering if there’s somebody else, but Charlie could be a RSF, and I haven’t seen any posts saying he can’t get it done or something like that.

Yes, I also was wondering if it could be someone else, but no one immediately comes to mind. I agree about seeing any negative posts here about Charlie. CV has said in one of his recent interview that they were comfortable with him as catcher.

Last edited:
Reactions: Revived2002
Last edited:
Reactions: TN_gal

I do recall some posts indicating concern about the future at catcher. That led to the comments about Evan Russell switching to the position. It was pretty tame by TN fan standards, though.

I do recall some posts indicating concern about the future at catcher. That led to the comments about Evan Russell switching to the position. It was pretty tame by TN fan standards, though.

I figured the Russell angle was a thing, but ya need two guys really, at least someone to give the starter a rest in the midweek. I trust the staff on this one.

Look out for Jared Dickey here.

You shouldn't read this board if your feelings are already hurt. As a former parent of a player, you better have thick skin to be on here. Nothing is said that isn't true, but if he has a bad night, you'll hear it!!

AMEN TD23. I stayed off the board during the games that Kirby pitched and most of the time for a few days afterwards. Even the days that he had a good overall game there was always someone who made a comment which is their right. When I chose to come on here, I knew that there would be deterrents to his game play. The majority of fans on here do a great job but there are always those. Then the truth is that on a bad day they will speak the truth which is what should happen. But if you are a parent, family member, or friend of a player you better be ready to hear your player get trashed at some point. If you can't take it, then don't come on here. Just speaking truth.

I figured the Russell angle was a thing, but ya need two guys really, at least someone to give the starter a rest in the midweek. I trust the staff on this one.
Vitello was on Basillio's show late last week. Vitello said they have been surprised by Russell and he has been better than they thought he would be back there (paraphrasing)

Russell checks so many boxes as a Catcher, the build , a leader , a grinder , and a smart ball player. After watching him the last 3 years , i can see where he could very well be a big part of the Catching rotation. Heard the Coaches even told him earlier that there was only a small chance that He would be the catcher and I heard he said , "Challenge Accepted" Also hearing that He's grinding his butt off to be the guy and from everyone that I am hearing from , He's getting better every day. I heard he quoted "A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM has to have an elite Catcher, heard that He said his goal is to be elite and was working towards that goal. Not to just go to Omaha but to WIN it....Man, after I heard that , I said , That's Awesome and You have to respect that... A Leader for sure!!! To hear his story how that he went to UT as a walk on , didn't have a position and earn an outfield spot on an Omaha Team and not make a single error in LF last year and now hearing these reports out of camp, This should give every kid in America some fire to chase their dream. I have been a fan but to witness all this is inspiring!! Sure makes a fellow proud to be a Vol fan..Never will forget the running through the wall play against Arky!!! I can support that!!!!

Yep - I confirmed this is the guy. Friend at work is friends with his dad here in GA. Charlie "Chuck" Taylor was apparently recruited as a defense-first catcher - great receiver, thrower, game-caller. Probably the reason there is buzz though about others playing the spot is that Chuck may need to develop as a hitter, which is what we all see. But hearing he's being told the coaches want to emphasize defense first at catcher, so he has a great shot at winning the job.

We'll see how it goes. Apparently being a scholarship baseball player is a cut-throat business. You lose your scholarship after the spring and have to earn them back heading into the next season.

We'll see how it goes!

Yep - I confirmed this is the guy. Friend at work is friends with his dad here in GA. Charlie "Chuck" Taylor was apparently recruited as a defense-first catcher - great receiver, thrower, game-caller. Probably the reason there is buzz though about others playing the spot is that Chuck may need to develop as a hitter, which is what we all see. But hearing he's being told the coaches want to emphasize defense first at catcher, so he has a great shot at winning the job.

We'll see how it goes. Apparently being a scholarship baseball player is a cut-throat business. You lose your scholarship after the spring and have to earn them back heading into the next season.

We'll see how it goes!

I am rooting for him!

We'll see how it goes!

A defense first catcher is someone we could really use. Our lineup is going to be very potent even if only from the known returning players, so we can probably carry the weight of a non-hitting catcher in most games. And he can always be used as a late inning replacement when we have a lead to protect. Good defense at the catcher position is a necessity.

A defense first catcher is someone we could really use. Our lineup is going to be very potent even if only from the known returning players, so we can probably carry the weight of a non-hitting catcher in most games. And he can always be used as a late inning replacement when we have a lead to protect. Good defense at the catcher position is a necessity.

Catcher, Center field and shortstop is where defense comes first and offense is a bonus.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
Inter squads are starting (live pitching/batting)....gearing up for the October 23rd game in Chattanooga. (FYI, Vols football at Alabama that day...time is TBD)

Reactions: StarRaider
Inter squads are starting (live pitching/batting)....gearing up for the October 23rd game in Chattanooga. (FYI, Vols football at Alabama that day...time is TBD)

Inter squad game or practice today? I'm off today, and might wander over there if I knew a time. Thanks in advance if you know.

VN Store

Back