Wes Welker UT Staff?

setting up to maybe replace CZA after he bolts? not sure how i feel about Wes coaching WRs

I hope you are kidding. One of the greatest route running WR's to play in the last 20 years with unbelievable work ethic and did so with the 2 greatest QB's in NFL history...you are worried he will not be able to coach college WR's in to great route runners and how to get open...how to beat DB's in press coverage...seriously?

Judge-Judy-Shake-My-Head-Gif_zps66b02891.gif

I know Judge Judy...I know.

Reactions: 11 people
setting up to maybe replace CZA after he bolts? not sure how i feel about Wes coaching WRs

Huh?? I'm greatly confused. This is the same Wes Welker who played football with both Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. His name alone should get the eye of top WR recruits.

Reactions: 1 person
If he is coming to discuss QC position, he is not a coach. It means he is wanting to learn to coach. Now if he imparts any knowledge re: what he learned as a player that is a bonus.

It also sends a positive message re: our coaching staff, that a NFL receiver of his caliber wants to come and start learning the coaching profession @ UT.

gonna have to go with Poppa on this one...:thumbsup::salute:

GO VOLS!

Exactly. He can't skip those steps. Some serious foolish talk in this thread.

Still a great addition to this program if he wants to work here, I don't care what his title is. It's the Bammer model. Worked great until last night (hehehe) :pepper:

I'm not arguing or disagreeing. Although, I wouldn't say wide receiver play was "great". There were some great catches and a lot of yards. There was also a lot of routes ran short of the sticks on third down. Maybe not hire him as a full time coach, but I think it would nice to have him on staff. Again, the recruiting aspect would be nice. I don't know if he could travel on recruiting trips as a QC or consultant, but it would be nice to have him on campus for recruiting visits. JMO

Exactly... Next level for official visits of wideout prospects. Loved Welker in the Pros even when he played for the hated Pats.

I hope you are kidding. One of the greatest route running WR's to play in the last 20 years with unbelievable work ethic and did so with the 2 greatest QB's in NFL history...you are worried he will not be able to coach college WR's in to great route runners and how to get open...how to beat DB's in press coverage...seriously?

Judge-Judy-Shake-My-Head-Gif_zps66b02891.gif

I know Judge Judy...I know.

You act like the guy is an idiot for showing obvious logic? Wes was a great player but does that mean he can scout talent? Does that mean he can identify and correct weaknesses? Does that mean he can curb attitudes and get the best from each player? Does that mean that he can teach focus? You act is if coaching is "Hey guys watch me run this route" and all of the sudden every player that saw it is an all American. Wonderful post, friend.

I could see Welker coaching DB's and take over for Martinez. I mean Welker was a pro receiver, if anything he could coach the DB's based on his expertise of how a Wide Receiver would try to out smart a DB. It's kind of like the scenario with Nick Reveiz coaching running backs at Carson-Newman. Something to think about..

You act like the guy is an idiot for showing obvious logic? Wes was a great player but does that mean he can scout talent? Does that mean he can identify and correct weaknesses? Does that mean he can curb attitudes and get the best from each player? Does that mean that he can teach focus? You act is if coaching is "Hey guys watch me run this route" and all of the sudden every player that saw it is an all American. Wonderful post, friend.

This. He has credibility as a great WR with a great work ethic but that does not mean he will be a great coach. You do not turn over a major position group like WRs at a major University to a guy that has never coached before.

I could see Welker coaching DB's and take over for Martinez. I mean Welker was a pro receiver, if anything he could coach the DB's based on his expertise of how a Wide Receiver would try to out smart a DB. It's kind of like the scenario with Nick Reveiz coaching running backs at Carson-Newman. Something to think about..

:blink:

Exactly. He can't skip those steps. Some serious foolish talk in this thread.

Uhh...yes he can. He isn't some joe blow 3rd stringer from South Dakota State. Guys with Welker's resume typically get to enjoy a slightly different set of standards than most people entering the coaching profession.

I'm not arguing or disagreeing. Although, I wouldn't say wide receiver play was "great". There were some great catches and a lot of yards. There was also a lot of routes ran short of the sticks on third down. Maybe not hire him as a full time coach, but I think it would nice to have him on staff. Again, the recruiting aspect would be nice. I don't know if he could travel on recruiting trips as a QC or consultant, but it would be nice to have him on campus for recruiting visits. JMO

Not 100% sure, but I don't think the QC assistants are allowed to travel. But yeah, part of visits would be meeting the support staff.

when I first saw josh smith play a few years back, I thought we was a wes welker type receiver..i think this would be great for him if welker get the job...

People questioning whether he can coach i think are forgetting the type of player he was. This wasnt a Gronk or moss type physical freak who out talented everyone. This was a precise route runner, hard worker and leader in the locker room and field. The type of guy who usually makes a good coach because theyve had to overcome shortcomings and push themselves to get better and outperform guys who were much more athletic.

Reactions: 2 people
If coach Azz can find another school that will take him then I'm fine with Wes Welker taking over coaching our WR's.

He's been coached by some of the best coaches in the business so you can bet he's learned coaching and different coaching styles during his NFL WR career.

He's also played with and learned from Peyton Manning and Tom Brady so you can also bet he's learned a great deal from those 2 Hall of fame QB's too.

He started out as a undrafted rooky and turned himself into 1 of the best WR's in the NFL so that will also get the attention of young kids that want to learn how to do that too.

He'll instantly get massive respect from top WR prospects across the nation just as Peyton would get if he ever decided to coach QB's.

Top WR prospects would be begging us to offer them a scholly to come play at Tennessee.

Our WR production should go through the roof and WRU would be back in full force.

Also with top WR's to throw to we should also get top QB recruits and top TE recruits begging to come to Tennessee.

Tennessee could quickly become 1 of the top passing programs in the nation.

Eventually it could become Wes Welker as OC/WR coach too.

If Welker is really serious then buTch should jump all over this and get him signed to a contract ASAP.

I can't see anything about this opportunity except a huge WIN all the way around.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back