Well we're back to normal

Yep, all those layups were pretty highly contested. There is missing an uncontested gimme layup and missing when you’re basically mugged. Two entirely different situations involved.
To be clear, I'm not defending the notion that KJ wasn't finishing at the rim...just giving some perspective of how the poster arrived at 5 missed shots at the rim. He wasn't wrong about the number. Whether KJ should have finished them is a matter for debate.

Any player shooting a ball and is fouled in the process without the ball going in the basket is not considered a shot attempt by the NCAA. (Which Keyon did 3 times). Thanks for proof Reading so closely though.

So he only missed 1 bunny?

To be clear, I'm not defending the notion that KJ wasn't finishing at the rim...just giving some perspective of how the poster arrived at 5 missed shots at the rim. He wasn't wrong about the number. Whether KJ should have finished them is a matter for debate.
I know. Those were tough makes regardless.

I am afraid that the first team we play in the NCAA that has really quick guards will beat us. The lack of fight at times is discouraging- JOHNSON is the only one with mental and physical toughness. What is wrong with Fulky- he has regressed - maybe Covid-19?

And those expectations were met by CRB when he made us relevant again in basketball...funny how you conveniently ignore that fact and act like the reason we now have E8 and FF expectations is precisely because of CRB (I can't wait to see how high your "CRB is paid too much" post count goes when he gets his next raise if he takes us to the E8 and FF...lol).
Just making a team ” relevant” should not equal being the 4th highest paid coach. It’s not like our program was a bottom feeder Before CRB. We are historically one of the highest Winning percentage teams in the SEC. Just not a lot of March success to show for it and that’s where CRB needs to earn his salary

When you’re the 4th highest paid coach, salesperson, heart surgeon, music artist, etc.... you are expected to produce results to match what you are being compensated
Not that it matters, as you're buried up to your eyes with this idea, but Rick Barnes, at #4, has as many wins (12), this season, as Calipari and Coach K (#1 and #2) have combined. One of those is almost certain to miss the NCAAT, and the other has quite a hill to climb to make it as a 9 or 10 seed.

Reactions: walkenvol
Not that it matters, as you're buried up to your eyes with this idea, but Rick Barnes, at #4, has as many wins (12), this season, as Calipari and Coach K (#1 and #2) have combined. One of those is almost certain to miss the NCAAT, and the other has quite a hill to climb to make it as a 9 or 10 seed.
Please tell me you are not trying to compare Barnes to Coach K or Calipari ?

Just making a team ” relevant” should not equal being the 4th highest paid coach. It’s not like our program was a bottom feeder Before CRB. We are historically one of the highest Winning percentage teams in the SEC. Just not a lot of March success to show for it and that’s where CRB needs to earn his salary

He is gonna get paid whether he wins or not. He knows this put still gives effort to win. Not as much effort as you to disparage him but that is a HIGH bar.

Reactions: cncchris33
Please tell me you are not trying to compare Barnes to Coach K or Calipari ?
Talk about taking a surface glance.

You're effectively comparing them by carrying on about where Barnes's salary ranks in the big picture. Those two and Mick Cronin are ahead of him in pay. Barnes has coached circles around them, this year, likely with less perceived talent, but it isn't enough for you.

There are currently 8 coaches coaching in D1 that have won a national title. Would you prefer if Barnes were #9 on the pay scale? Would that make his salary more justifiable to you? Why do you care so much about what he makes? Would your expectations be any less if he were the 20th highest paid coach, or would you still be in here bitching about every loss? Don't bother answering that one. We already know.

Talk about taking a surface glance.

You're effectively comparing them by carrying on about where Barnes's salary ranks in the big picture. Those two and Mick Cronin are ahead of him in pay. Barnes has coached circles around them, this year, likely with less perceived talent, but it isn't enough for you.

There are currently 8 coaches coaching in D1 that have won a national title. Would you prefer if Barnes were #9 on the pay scale? Would that make his salary more justifiable to you? Why do you care so much about what he makes? Would your expectations be any less if he were the 20th highest paid coach, or would you still be in here bitching about every loss? Don't bother answering that one. We already know.

You all are completely missing the point. I do not argue that CRB is a solid coach, just not a $5M a year coach Based on what he has accomplished as a coach compared to the other highest paid coaches ( again, understanding that college BB is a “ tournament” sport). Here are the results of the 8 highest paid coaches in college basketball. Two of them are Not like the rest....

$8M / yr. John Calipari: 1 National championship, 6 Final Fours, 6 SEC championships
$7M/ yr. Coach K: 5 National Championships, 12 final fours, 12 ACC championships
$5M/ yr Mick Cronin: 3 Conference Championships in 16 years as HC.
$5M/ yr Rick Barnes: 1 Final Four, 4 Conference Championships in 34 years as HC
$4.4M/ Chris Beard: 1 Final 4, 1 conference championship in 6 years as HC
$4.4M/ Jay Wright : 2 National Championships, 3 Final Fours, 9 conference championships
$4M / Tom Izzo: 1 National Championship, 8 Final Fours, 10 Big Ten Championships
$4M/ Roy Williams: 3 National Championships, 9 Final Fours, 13 conference Championships

Reactions: volman128
You all are completely missing the point. I do not argue that CRB is a solid coach, just not a $5M a year coach Based on what he has accomplished as a coach compared to the other highest paid coaches ( again, understanding that college BB is a “ tournament” sport). Here are the results of the 8 highest paid coaches in college basketball. Two of them are Not like the rest....

$8M / yr. John Calipari: 1 National championship, 6 Final Fours, 6 SEC championships
$7M/ yr. Coach K: 5 National Championships, 12 final fours, 12 ACC championships
$5M/ yr Mick Cronin: 3 Conference Championships in 16 years as HC.
$5M/ yr Rick Barnes: 1 Final Four, 4 Conference Championships in 34 years as HC
$4.4M/ Chris Beard: 1 Final 4, 1 conference championship in 6 years as HC
$4.4M/ Jay Wright : 2 National Championships, 3 Final Fours, 9 conference championships
$4M / Tom Izzo: 1 National Championship, 8 Final Fours, 10 Big Ten Championships
$4M/ Roy Williams: 3 National Championships, 9 Final Fours, 13 conference Championships
The salary is completely arbitrary. Again, would you feel better if Barnes was 9th on this list, instead, and making $4 million? No, you wouldn't.

You say that two of these aren't like the others, but it's really three. All have NCAA Titles except 3, 4, and 5. UCLA was willing to pay all 3 of those guys $5 million, and did pay that to Cronin. Tennessee paid it for Barnes. Seems like the people making the money decisions deemed their value to be $5 mill.

You don't have to agree with it, but you wouldn't agree if we paid him $4 million, either, because you seem to think that results should directly correlate to pay in some sort of heirarchy when in reality it's supply and demand that dictates it.

I don't think Barnes is worth $5 mill, either, but I don't pay his salary, so I'm just happy that Tennessee paid to keep a coach who had experienced a great deal of success. I expect Barnes to win games, whether he's paid $5 mill or $2 mill.

Curious, why hasn’t every team since Bama “turned up the heat on defense” and beat us?

Some teams have the players to be able to do this some don't. Some nights it's bad coaching, some nights the players are off, some nights the refs won't let a team breath on another team without calling a foul. Multiple factors go into it. It's not just about other teams playing defense it's that we are too inconsistent.

Reactions: orangemadam

I am not talking about the history of our program...I am explicitly speaking of the state of our program at the end of 2014 when Martin bolted and smeared the program, boosters, and fanbase with accusations of racism which was followed by a .500 season with Tyndall.

Agree the challenge ahead for CRB is to deliver some historic tourney success.

Last edited:
Tennessee won’t hire anyone with a better resume than Barnes.

I don’t know what kind of fantasy land they’re living in but if they think it’s that easy to replace a HOF coach with someone else then they’re highly mistaken.

The whole “We’re too good for Barnes” argument is laughable.
Barnes is a good coach but saying we can't get anyone else is bs. I'm not saying we need to hire someone else but if he retired we could easily lure a big name coach. We have the facilities, fan base, and we are suddenly willing to shell out 5 million dollars a year. We will have to knock them off with a stick when this job comes back open.

Barnes is a good coach but saying we can't get anyone else is bs. I'm not saying we need to hire someone else but if he retired we could easily lure a big name coach. We have the facilities, fan base, and we are suddenly willing to shell out 5 million dollars a year. We will have to knock them off with a stick when this job comes back open.
Who you got in mind? Fewer coaches are willing to move jobs noawadays for 1-2 million increase, look at the football searches this year...Napier turning down plenty of jobs to stay where he’s at, Tennessee offering $8m to Franklin, I know we had a black eye but look at last search, throw around money and get Pruitt. UCLA was tossing around $5m and beard and Barnes both passed before they landed on Cronin.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Who you got in mind? Fewer coaches are willing to move jobs noawadays for 1-2 million increase, look at the football searches this year...Napier turning down plenty of jobs to stay where he’s at, Tennessee offering $8m to Franklin, I know we had a black eye but look at last search, throw around money and get Pruitt. UCLA was tossing around $5m and beard and Barnes both passed before they landed on Cronin.
It all depends on who is available of course but I'm just saying we will have a good pool of options. Everybody wants the homerun hire but I admit it will take some luck to do that. For the first time in my life I feel like it's gonna be possible.

The whole “We’re too good for Barnes” argument is laughable.

I don't think we're too good for Barnes but Barnes acted like he had some chip on his shoulder by threatening to go to UCLA, where he would've actually taken a pay cut after COL was factored in, and culturally, he would've been a fish out of water, right after a season where we choked away the SEC regular season, SEC tournament and NCAAT, with an obvious rebuilding year on the horizon. He is way overpaid without a doubt, and a lot of fans soured on Barnes after the whole fiasco, too. The way he treated UT was NOT right and I don't care what anyone says.

Fans rightly said Barnes was going to have to earn that salary, and so far he's done a piss poor job of doing so. I don't think he's a bad coach at all, but he's basically a Sweet 16 coach with a Final Four salary.

Reactions: 1985Vols

VN Store

Back