We'll learn fast what Danny White is made of......

I see Stoops leaving Kentucky to go to OU before Heupel leaves UT. Stoops has topped out at Kentucky. OU gives him room to grow and the last name opens doors and wallets.

Reactions: bpalmer28
With Oklahoma moving to the SEC and no one knowing what the divisions will look like in the future. Either Texas or Oklahoma being in a division with Tennessee or neither if the SEC goes a new "pod" structure. It's literally going to come down to Heupel making a decision is Oklahoma a better program than Tennessee. Historically, yes they are. They have won many national championships and have 50 conference championships. That's pretty remarkable. They are basically the Alabama of the conferences they've been in.

True, but soon they will be in the big leagues, and find out what they are really made of. I think that means they get exposed.

JH didn't even attend their 2000 national championship reunion if that gives you any indication as to his feelings towards OU. He has nothing to do with the program any longer. Do you think Tee Martin would give up a good job to come be the coach at UT if he already had a major conference head coaching job? It's possible but it wouldn't shock me in the least if he were to turn UT down and he wasn't fired from UT.

I'm sure it might come to a shock and rock your world, but you realize Heupel had a game to coach that same day right? Are you saying that it would been logical for him to be in Norman for a ceremony around 2:30 PM Eastern time and then hop on a 2 hour flight back to Knoxville and be at Neyland mere 60-90 minutes prior to kickoff? I'm going to assume you're a sane person and not suggesting that.

Tee Martin is a position coach in the NFL which plays on SUNDAY..... Tee can easily come back to Knoxville for a 1998 ceremony..... Heupel being a head coach in college that plays on SATURDAY can't.....

Reactions: Samthebam
We were told Danny White was a great hire. We were told Danny White was ready for the big stage at a big program.

I will say, based on what I've seen so far, this is the case.

I believe he has his eyes, heart and soul set on winning. Bringing Heupel to Tennessee has, so far, looked like a brilliant decision.

He is credited and known for making very solid hires everywhere he's been.

How good is he at retaining coaches? Especially one's he hired? He lost Scott Frost to Nebraska from UCF. I understand that on paper and historical significance Nebraska has been a better program than UCF. I get it.

But, White had a coach, that he hired leave for his alma mater in Frost going to Nebraska.

Now, faced with a similar situation and Oklahoma being Oklahoma, what happens? With Tennessee being HISTORICALLY a top ten program in many categories, but Oklahoma as being one with actual more success than Tennessee.....how does this play out?

What are the advantages for Heupel staying at Tennessee vs leaving for his alma mater? Does anyone know?

This is where Danny White has to step up and retain his guy this time. Danny White will have to put on his best sales pitch this time.

I think this will possibly come down to seeing what Danny White is made of. I guess we will see.......
Just.....step.....away.....from.....the....ledge.

I see Stoops leaving Kentucky to go to OU before Heupel leaves UT. Stoops has topped out at Kentucky. OU gives him room to grow and the last name opens doors and wallets.

Would be one less horse in the SEC we'd have to worry about if Stoops goes to OU.....

All due respect to CJH, but OU has way more options than UT did. UT offered CJH because pickings were slim. There are many, more proven coaches that will be interested in OU.

IMO, with OU going to the SEC, UT to OU is a lateral move for a coach. OU will not be as dominate in this league.

Reactions: Volintheswamp
The only reasons I can think of Riley leaving like this is being scared of being hammered in the SEC. They barely beat Tulane, Nebraska, West Virginia, Kansas State, Texas, Iowa State...and lost to Baylor and Oklahoma State. I think he saw what was coming.

Last edited:
JH hasn't even been contacted by OU and all reports indicate he's had nothing to do with them since his firing. I don't see him going anywhere and I don't think UT should overpay him on a hunch either. Does he deserve to be extended? Yes. Does he deserve Saban type money? No

I've heard he was contacted but it was just a scramble call, not anything of note. OU is looking for a bigger fish.

JH hasn't even been contacted by OU and all reports indicate he's had nothing to do with them since his firing. I don't see him going anywhere and I don't think UT should overpay him on a hunch either. Does he deserve to be extended? Yes. Does he deserve Saban type money? No
Don't disagree but this just in. Michigan st just paid Mel Tucker $95 million over 10 years 2 days after getting his ass handed to him by Ohio St. by 50. All coaches are going to get paid now!

If you don't know what Danny White is made of yet, you haven't been following the program. He came in, raised even more funds for the athletic department, invested in the coaching staffs for every sport (literally every sport), he drove university efforts to commit to our newly found successful baseball program and he made a great hire for our football program which is why this thread is here to begin with.

This has nothing to do with Danny White and everything to do with Josh Heupel and where he wants to be.

Show Hype a topographical map of Oklahoma and Tennessee and let the Mtns win over flat lands. Seriously what is there to do in Oklahoma.

Reactions: GBOx2
The only reasons I can think of Riley leaving like this is being scared of being hammered in the SEC. They barley beat Tulane, Nebraska, West Virginia, Kansas State, Texas, Iowa State...and lost to Baylor and Oklahoma State. I think he saw what was coming.
Or he’s the highest paid coach in college. Being a private school USC’s numbers won’t be public but you can assume he’s making 9-10M. He was 7.6M at OU, and he’s not taking that job for equal or less than what he made at OU. Should also be noted Clay Helton made less than 5M

The biggest draw of OK is it's CJH's Alma Mater.

Plus family / friends / legacy.

Unlike Kiffen, this really probably is CJH's "dream job". Hopefully the purported $20M buyout is presents a problem for their program.

Oklahoma has a strong donor base. 20M might not be a problem if they get behind hiring Heupel. However, some have pointed out his relationship with Stoops might not be as rosy as it once was. Just as Phil Fulmer's and Randy Sander's relationship might not be on as good of terms as they once were. I got a feeling this could be a very similar situation.

What might play to Tennessee's advantage will be how good things are between him & White. And how happy Heupel is being at Tennessee so far. And how happy his family is being here. How well his support staff is making his success possible. Does he feel he has the very best of everything here, or will he get something better there? Kind of like comparing Apples to Apples. Or Oranges, I should say. All of that plays a huge factor in a coach staying where he is, or taking his next offer.

Personally, I feel Riley leaving for USC was not so much fearing coming to the SEC as it was having a subpar year at Oklahoma, and taking an opportunity to reset the clock without being on the hot seat. That is not an issue for Heupel right now. And while this might seem comparable to the Kiffin situation, well Kiffin was an arrogant *rick. Heupel seems much more humble. And he has been the best first year fit most of us can remember.

Some of you all might like or be accustomed the coaching carosuel. By the time I was 40, I could name three head coaches I had seen in my lifetime: Dickey Majors and Fulmer. I hope we hang onto Heupel. He seem like the only coach I can remember that is not full of crap. That makes retaining him very important.

Thankfully Stoops threw CJH under the bus for his brother's failures. It was a nasty break up. I don't see CJH going to Oklahoma while he is still involved.

Here is my take from why I have read. OU is looking at Kingsbury just to satisfy the fans and boosters that there was a national search. Kingsbury will turn it down. Stoops and the AD already know this. Stoops is probably friends with Kingsbury. They may even contact Heupel’s agent as a courtesy and Heupel may use that to get more money. But again Stoops knows he won’t consider the job as long as he and the AD are there. They will give the job to Stoops which was in the works for weeks.

Reactions: 81Bubbavol
I would think that if Stoops is the AD at Oklahoma, considering the way he parted ways with Heupel, it might not be an attractive situation for him in Norman. As is said, money talks and BS walks. I hope Heupel is happy in Knoxville and sees a bright future here.

The only reasons I can think of Riley leaving like this is being scared of being hammered in the SEC. They barley beat Tulane, Nebraska, West Virginia, Kansas State, Texas, Iowa State...and lost to Baylor and Oklahoma State. I think he saw what was coming.
You're probably right but he'll never admit it though. OU is trending down and about to enter the SEC. They'll be average at best in the coming years.

JH didn't even attend their 2000 national championship reunion if that gives you any indication as to his feelings towards OU. He has nothing to do with the program any longer. Do you think Tee Martin would give up a good job to come be the coach at UT if he already had a major conference head coaching job? It's possible but it wouldn't shock me in the least if he were to turn UT down and he wasn't fired from UT.
Their 2000 national championship team was recognized 11/20/2021 at halftime of their game with Iowa State. Strangely, Heupel didn’t abandon his job of coaching Tennessee against South Alabama that same day to attend. Obviously he hates OU.

VN Store

Back