Well d**n. ESPN dun put the curse on the VOLS again..

Y’all better break some stuff on the streets of Knoxville when you beat Georgia, that’s all I’m saying.
It's funny that you think we have a better chance at beating Georgia than you. I mean, I see them both as losses, but if someone told me they saw into the future and we won one of those, I'm streaking through Gainesville.

*Edit. I posted this comment without reading the article. I now see they think we have a better chance at beating Georgia than Florida also. Not much better, but better. Guess the jokes on me.

But I still think its the other way around, if at all.

Last edited:
I mean, if we only lose to Georgia, Florida, and Bama we'd better up that contract for Pruitt because he's coach of the year.

The ESPN FPI is about the most useless ranking system I've ever seen.

For real. Plus, we have a better shot at beating UF than UGA/Bama.

Reactions: UTwild82 and 08Vol
This is where stats gets thrown out there and seems an insurmountable hurdle, but can be equally impressive if viewed another way. IF the journalist would dig a little more, they'd realize that from 1965, with the Dickey example to Fulmer's 2006 season noted, the Vols had only FIVE losing seasons over 41 years. After the 5 losing seasons during that time span, only ONCE did they fail to win 8 or more the following season. So, as Granny Hawkins from Outlaw Josey Wales said, "I say all that big talk's worth diddly squat".

We're really looking at a couple things...first, over the past decade, cable money and profit sharing allowed fellow SEC schools to invest and get alot better, so, re-builds are tougher today, and secondly, making historically egregious decisions on running the program while all others are getting better, put us in our spot today. We'll get out, but need the momentum of at least 8 wins this year to jump-start us...otherwise, I fear we're looking at a "Majors-type" 5-6 year build, which no one has patience for in today's world...including me. Need some leaders who decide we're just not going to accept losing any more and step up. We've got some great kids on the team, but am not sure who the leaders are, and that could be the biggest problem of all...JG, OL, LB's (Taylor, Ignot, Bituli), Jennings?

"Since Tennessee joined the SEC in 1933, there have only been four times in school history that a coach took a team with a losing record one season and then won eight or more games the next season like the FPI is projecting for the Vols this year. Doug Dickey did so in 1965 when he helped the Vols to an 8-1-2 record after going 4-5-1 the previous season, and Johnny Majors did it twice. Majors’ 1981 squad went 8-4 after a 5-6 season the previous year, and his 1989 team earned an 11-1 mark after the 1988 team went 5-6. The most recent head coach to do it was Phillip Fulmer when he helped the Vols get to 9-4 in 2006 after a 5-6 season in 2005."

Interesting article. A few things jumped out at me. First, they give us a better chance of beating GA than FLA. They obviously value home field advantage, but still. Second, we know Missouri, KY, SC, and MS State will be toss-ups, but there was no mention of Vandy. Third, 7.6-4.5 tells me there will be some nail-biters. A few plays or a key injury or two could be the difference between 6-6 or 8-4. Lastly, since 1933 ONLY one UT coach, Doug Dickey, went from a losing season in year one, to a winning season in year two.

It's funny that you think we have a better chance at beating Georgia than you. I mean, I see them both as losses, but if someone told me they saw into the future and we won one of those, I'm streaking through Gainesville.

Please Lord, no.

Reactions: Behr
This is where stats gets thrown out there and seems an insurmountable hurdle, but can be equally impressive if viewed another way. IF the journalist would dig a little more, they'd realize that from 1965, with the Dickey example to Fulmer's 2006 season noted, the Vols had only FIVE losing seasons over 41 years. After the 5 losing seasons during that time span, only ONCE did they fail to win 8 or more the following season. So, as Granny Hawkins from Outlaw Josey Wales said, "I say all that big talk's worth diddly squat".

We're really looking at a couple things...first, over the past decade, cable money and profit sharing allowed fellow SEC schools to invest and get alot better, so, re-builds are tougher today, and secondly, making historically egregious decisions on running the program while all others are getting better, put us in our spot today. We'll get out, but need the momentum of at least 8 wins this year to jump-start us...otherwise, I fear we're looking at a "Majors-type" 5-6 year build, which no one has patience for in today's world...including me. Need some leaders who decide we're just not going to accept losing any more and step up. We've got some great kids on the team, but am not sure who the leaders are, and that could be the biggest problem of all...JG, OL, LB's (Taylor, Ignot, Bituli), Jennings?

"Since Tennessee joined the SEC in 1933, there have only been four times in school history that a coach took a team with a losing record one season and then won eight or more games the next season like the FPI is projecting for the Vols this year. Doug Dickey did so in 1965 when he helped the Vols to an 8-1-2 record after going 4-5-1 the previous season, and Johnny Majors did it twice. Majors’ 1981 squad went 8-4 after a 5-6 season the previous year, and his 1989 team earned an 11-1 mark after the 1988 team went 5-6. The most recent head coach to do it was Phillip Fulmer when he helped the Vols get to 9-4 in 2006 after a 5-6 season in 2005."
Good point. I wondered about that, but still found it interesting given the last decade.

ESPN puts out something positive about UT and posters rip on them...ESPN puts out something negative about UT and posters rip on them.

giphy.gif

Paying no attention. We've seen this play before.
Step 1: ESPN way over rates UT pre-season
Step 2: Other rags like SDS pick up on it and push it out to get nonsense "over rated" chatter rolling into preseason
Step 3: ESPN flames away at UT being over rated and calls Vol fans delusional (note: if anything, most Vol fans not expecting much more than 7 wins plus/minus one game.

This is Volnation Hall of Fame material!

*Edit. I posted this comment without reading the article. I now see they think we have a better chance at beating Georgia than Florida also. Not much better, but better. Guess the jokes on me.

But I still think its the other way around, if at all.
I’ll hold you to that as long as there are no pics.

We will get as fair of chance as anyone at gimpaloosa.

We just need to run a few more trick plays like draws, screens and vertical passes. Zero chance at beating a team is just silly as long as they are on the schedule. We may end up getting a couple of shots at the gimps this year if they do their part and make it to the SECCG.

Between now and then the gimps might already be on probation and have players wanting out.

Fl and Ga are winnable games just like every other game on our schedule.

I’ll hold you to that as long as there are no pics.

We will get as fair of chance as anyone at gimpaloosa.

We just need to run a few more trick plays like draws, screens and vertical passes. Zero chance at beating a team is just silly as long as they are on the schedule. We may end up getting a couple of shots at the gimps this year if they do their part and make it to the SECCG.

Between now and then the gimps might already be on probation and have players wanting out.

Fl and Ga are winnable games just like every other game on our schedule.

Yet, Vanderbilt looms like the Statue of Liberty over Vol fans, rightfully so, losing the last 5 out of 7 games to the doors will definitely reduce your expectations.

Yet, Vanderbilt looms like the Statue of Liberty over Vol fans, rightfully so, losing the last 5 out of 7 games to the doors will definitely reduce your expectations.
What a turn of events that has been.

I’m not so sure it lowers expectations. It only creates more bitterness towards the staff and players that they couldn’t come up with a better game play that they can execute.

VN Store

Back