Welcome Indiana Fans!

The current structure opened in 87’. I started school in 88.
About the John C. Hodges Library - About - Libraries: The University of Tennessee, Knoxville

The previous library, which bore the same name, stood in the same place.

While the library isn’t a gothic structure, it isn’t an eye sore. It’s still an impressive structure and a highly ranked library in terms of content.

Well you may not see it as an eyesore. Then again, you might need lasic surgery, or something like that. I have no doubt those items within that you refer to as content are valuable items the University is proud takes deep pride having in their trust. And as to the interior and functionality? It might be top notch, I will yield to those who have spent time there. But as to the exterior, it is only impressive in size. If you wanted models of university buildings in a collection to recreate the university like small scale rail road modelers do, would you want that building a part of it? Or would you, while creating an ideal model of your version of the perfect campus for some competition, place another unique building? You bet you would, because the judges would not give you an award. The damn thing is massive and clumsy. Fly over it in a private plane sometime, or get permission to fly a drone over campus. Next time you visit the stadium, go to the upper bowl and gaze at it. The more I look at it, the uglier it gets.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Well you may not see it as an eyesore. Then again, you might need lasic surgery, or something like that. I have no doubt those items within that you refer to as content are valuable items the University is proud takes deep pride having in their trust. And as to the interior and functionality? It might be top notch, I will yield to those who have spent time there. But as to the exterior, it is only impressive in size. If you wanted models of university buildings in a collection to recreate the university like small scale rail road modelers do, would you want that building a part of it? Or would you, while creating an ideal model of your version of the perfect campus for some competition, place another unique building? You bet you would, because the judges would not give you an award. The damn thing is massive and clumsy. Fly over it in a private plane sometime, or get permission to fly a drone over campus. Next time you visit the stadium, go to the upper bowl and gaze at it. The more I look at it, the uglier it gets.
Don’t get me wrong, I prefer much more traditional architecture. I have perfect vision, btw.

The design is as actually done to mask its size. It tapers up and uses lighter brick as it goes up.
Humanities, Spam can, art and architecture, Andy Holt tower, Hess, Laurel Apts; and TBA are much bigger concerns IMO. Those are truly hideous buildings that look like something out of Cold War Russia.

If you notice the University isn’t concerned any longer about the size of its buildings. They have built some massive new structures in the gothic style.

VN Store

Back