Weinke and Chaney out officially

landscapingvol

I feel sorry for these guys, Cheney In particular. He has NOT sucked at previous stops and I feel like the constraints he was required to work under by Beldar are the primary reason for the offensive performance. Oh well, he's got plenty of money and can certainly find another job if he wants one.
I wouldn't say Georgia was sad to see him go and there is a reason you go from a NC caliber team to struggling program in the same division

superdave1984

Repeat Offender
I would say it would be in the best interest of the HC to get as far away from what has been as he can get. If you are going to change the culture and change the program, you ditch was was NOT working and don't look back.

TGVol

Sorry to see Chaney out but this time I understand the decision given our new HC is known for great offense.
I felt exactly the opposite back when Butch decided to not keep Chaney (it was pretty clear early on he would not bring in any OC as good as Chaney - the real problem was that Butch considered himself to be great OC which was his biggest mistake).

MiramarVol

Sanctified Vol
Well, Weinke was Ty Simpson's guy. We'll have to see what Ty thinks of CJH and if CJH and who he brings in as OC and QB coach is enough to keep him in state.

DiderotsGhost

I'm not sure if Cheney was truly running out the clock on his career while collecting cash or just hamstrung by JG or Pruitt. Regardless, I wish he could have seen better days at UT with anyone else at QB for longer than a couple of games.
I think he was hamstrung by Pruitt.

Feel like Pruitt came from the same school of offensive micromanagement and "outdated offenses" as Fulmer.

Chaney can run a modern offense if he's allowed to, but that wasn't what Pruitt wanted.

rocketskates

I’m lovin’ it
Good riddance to Weinke. QBs regressed significantly under him.

However, Chaney was clearly constantly being overridden by Pruitt. I think if Chaney was given free reign of the offense we would’ve been much better. Personally, I don’t blame Chaney for our offensive woes.
I agree. Chaney’s spread style offense relies on a QB with a big arm. He had that with Bray and at Georgia with Fromm. He never got that here because Bailey and Shrout were on the pine because of Pruitt.

wmcovol

I don’t think anyone from prior staff will be retained. Hell, if you let Jay Graham go, why keep anyone, right?

I think a deep cleaning in the AD is needed also. All Fulmerites probably need to go.

Brave Volunteer

Agreed. Weight struggles are real for people and it's just not helpful or necessary. Chaney is a great coach and I am sad that he was probably not allowed to do what he wanted with our offense. He had wanted to retire here. I wish him luck at the next spot.
Obesity and the stereotype that all white southerners are ignorant hillbillies are the last acceptable subjects of ridicule.

VolInNW

Trapped in PAC 12 Country
So childish and stupid. His ability as a coach is fair game - his weight shouldn’t be. You don’t think this is a personal struggle for him?
I do agree that busting on the guy's weight is not appropriate. That said, it is a red flag for me when someone is THAT overweight. The best coaches tend to be in decent shape for their age, as it is merely a by product of the discipline they possess with respect to most areas of their lives. Fulmer is a good case study. He is a big guy, even in shape, no matter how you shake it, but his extreme weight gain really occurred after the NC, and was synced up with his increasingly slap-shod way he served as HC. Look at Meyer, Saban, Dabo, and other top coaches. Generally (not always, but as a rule) the best coaches are not grossly obese. Again, I think the connection is personal discipline, not a direct correlation.

Just a thought. I'm bored. Flame away! :)

tarvol73

It looks like Tee and Steele are the only ones left. Per the KnoxNews article, Tee's contract ends Sunday.

Then there is Steele. I would assume he would be gone, but who knows?

VN Store