Weakest link: surprisingly wide receiver

I know he was polarizing, but Trooper Taylor said turning our WR corps around was simple. Stand in front of the jugs machine until you learn to catch. 100s of reps per day

In all games so far wide receiver has dropped critical balls. None are solid reliable wr like Jennings Palmer Callaway.

Was discussing this with a friend today. Growing up in the 80s and 90s, we always had great WRs under Kippy Brown. We were spoiled. But since then, we’ve had a litany of subpar WR coaches. Pat Washington, Kevin Beard, Tee Martin…all subpar. David Johnson (just 1 year), Zach Azzanni, and Frank Wilson (just 1 year) are the lone bright spots at WR coach since Brown left.

Not saying Burns is bad…the jury is still out after just 4 games. But WR play has been generally bad in the last 20 years or so.

Reactions: VolsSince78
David Johnson is a very good coach.

QUOTE="GregAmsler, post: 20261989, member: 6696"]Was discussing this with a friend today. Growing up in the 80s and 90s, we always had great WRs under Kippy Brown. We were spoiled. But since then, we’ve had a litany of subpar WR coaches. Pat Washington, Kevin Beard, Tee Martin…all subpar. David Johnson (just 1 year), Zach Azzanni, and Frank Wilson (just 1 year) are the loan bright spots at WR coach since Brown left.

Not saying Burns is bad…the jury is still out after just 4 games. But WR play has been generally bad in the last 20 years or so.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Was discussing this with a friend today. Growing up in the 80s and 90s, we always had great WRs under Kippy Brown. We were spoiled. But since then, we’ve had a litany of subpar WR coaches. Pat Washington, Kevin Beard, Tee Martin…all subpar. David Johnson (just 1 year), Zach Azzanni, and Frank Wilson (just 1 year) are the lone bright spots at WR coach since Brown left.

Not saying Burns is bad…the jury is still out after just 4 games. But WR play has been generally bad in the last 20 years or so.

TN has had some very good receivers under both Jones and Pruitt. Take a look at who's on NFL rosters today. If we had last yrs receivers we may have won last night.

We have a talent deficiency. The coaching yesterday was good enough to win. That says a lot since it was against a great team. The clock management was alarming but I loved what I saw we are a few recruiting classes away from being solid.

The clock management was fine. That is his offensive philosophy. He went uptempo and kept Florida on its heels because they couldn't sub. We walked it down the field. We were getting first downs, the clock was stopping. Hooker misses a throw and kixker missed a FG. Better player execution and you enter half with points. His philosophy worked, can't go against your identity when it is crunch time. It's what you spend all year training your guys to do.

WR was actually an unproven position group before the season. Velus was established at the P5 level, and we knew Hyatt had some separation speed. Payton was a nice late addition.

Otherwise, this group had a few potentially good players. Calloway and Merrill can become good. But, the hype for the group exceeded the talent. That’s not the players fault. It’s the media and fans.

We have a talent deficiency. The coaching yesterday was good enough to win. That says a lot since it was against a great team. The clock management was alarming but I loved what I saw we are a few recruiting classes away from being solid.
. Is Florida really great though? They are a high quality good team no doubt but I don’t think they are in the upper echelon. They will lose to Georgia and it wouldn’t shock me if they lost to LSU too

The whole narrative about bad clock management was spurred by the pathetic announcers. They claimed he should have taken a TO or, as one of them lobbied for, spiked to stop the clock. The idiot then railed about "wasting 10 seconds" by not doing what he said just so we could throw a 5 yd pass and get out of bounds.

Freaking idiot!!! The clocked stopped for our first down at 41 seconds. We snapped it at 36. Please, Hype man, please, continue to not waste a TO to save 5 seconds, leaving us with only one left and giving them a breather.

Also, idiot!!!!! We didn't "run a 5 yd pass." We ran a great play, the check down was all that was open. Same could have happened after a TO, or spike which would then lead to 3rd down.

I love the way he managed the first half 2 minute drill.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
. Is Florida really great though? They are a high quality good team no doubt but I don’t think they are in the upper echelon. They will lose to Georgia and it wouldn’t shock me if they lost to LSU too
You feeling alright, bro? I'd go get that checked out. Disorientation can be a sign of oncoming heart attack.

David Johnson is a very good coach.

QUOTE="GregAmsler, post: 20261989, member: 6696"]Was discussing this with a friend today. Growing up in the 80s and 90s, we always had great WRs under Kippy Brown. We were spoiled. But since then, we’ve had a litany of subpar WR coaches. Pat Washington, Kevin Beard, Tee Martin…all subpar. David Johnson (just 1 year), Zach Azzanni, and Frank Wilson (just 1 year) are the loan bright spots at WR coach since Brown left.

[/QUOTE]

Yep. Best WR coach we’ve had since Kippy, IMO. But he only did it for 1 year.

Reactions: Stoerner Fumbles

VN Store

Back