We still have a small chance to sneak into playoffs

Sorry, brother.

I do appreciate the optimism. I really do.

But no 2-loss team has ever gotten into the playoffs. And I don't think this year will be an exception. undefeateds and one-loss only.

Now, the outside, maybe just tiny itty bitty possibility of an exception to that rule is a 2-loss SEC champion. Yep, I mean LSU. But (a) they're not gonna beat UGa, and (b) even if they were to, I don't think they have much chance of sliding into the playoffs. TCU would have to lose twice (one regular season game and their conference championship), Clemson lose another, and USCw lose. All that on top of LSU beating UGa. Just don't see all those stars aligning.

Far more likely, UGa plus both the winner and maybe loser of OSU/Michigan (the loser taking the path we wanted to take, of sitting out their conference CG and getting invited at 11-1), plus some combination of B12 champ TCU, ACC champ Clemson, and PAC champ USCw will fill all the four spots. That's six viable teams for four spots. Probably four of them will still be -0 or -1 in their win/loss record.

Our Vols, definitely not getting in with 2 losses and no conference championship. Simply won't happen.

Hoping Sugar or Peach Bowl!

Go Vols!
A 2-Loss LSU team beat OSU 38-24 in the 2008 BCS Championship Game.

A 2-Loss LSU team beat OSU 38-24 in the 2008 BCS Championship Game.
The BCS is not the College Football Playoffs, of course. I was speaking of the period of the human committee driven playoffs.

But also, did you look at the rankings that year? The 2007 season? There were no -0 and -1 loss teams left in the Power 5 (well, Kansas. Just Kansas, lol). The computers didn't have any choice but to pick a 2-loss team. If there'd been a choice that one year, no 2-loss team would ever have made it into the BCS CG either.

Those conditions are VERY unusual. It has never happened since that there were less than a handful of undefeateds and one-losses to pick from. In other words, it was a fluke.

Last edited:
Let’s just focus on the future with Milton and see if he can guide us to the Sugar Bowl. It’ll be intriguing to watch

Reactions: JoAllan
And before the season you didn’t think we did this year either. Tennessee isn’t going back to the bottom of the sec. We will continue to get better. GBO

Did I say anything whatsoever indicating that? I was commenting on the possibility of getting in the CFP over Michigan, period. Try reading other posts from yesterday before jumping into defense mode.

All is not lost with the loss to USCjr...if I am CJH, I remind the players we still have alot to play for. As seen this past weekend all the top teams are vulnerable. Michigan could get blown out next week, TCU can still lose in their conference championship, USC still has some tough games, Clemson can lose to a much improved USCjr....that leaves Alabama and LSU ahead of us for the final playoff spot...We would get voted in ahead of them since we beat them head to head

WTH is this? Needing attention? Tennessee got exposed ; period. They would take any 2 loss team in consideration over UT. That team Saturday night isn't worthy of consideration. Name me another team in the top 25 that would give up 63 to Sc. The Committee would be laughed off the Network. OH, and watch out for VANDY; too.

soyouretellingmetheresachance-8.gif

Basically this is where we are.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Let’s see at this point we can finish better than expected. So considering going to the CFP and getting exposed again versus winning a bowl game I think I may be for the latter of the two. Finish 11-2. First time since 2001. Finish with another bashing and it will be a LONG off season.

Let’s see at this point we can finish better than expected. So considering going to the CFP and getting exposed again versus winning a bowl game I think I may be for the latter of the two. Finish 11-2. First time since 2001. Finish with another bashing and it will be a LONG off season.
Hope I'm wrong...But if I were a betting person, which I'm not, my money would be on Vandy this weekend.

All is not lost with the loss to USCjr...if I am CJH, I remind the players we still have alot to play for. As seen this past weekend all the top teams are vulnerable. Michigan could get blown out next week, TCU can still lose in their conference championship, USC still has some tough games, Clemson can lose to a much improved USCjr....that leaves Alabama and LSU ahead of us for the final playoff spot...We would get voted in ahead of them since we beat them head to head
Lol

Sorry, brother.

I do appreciate the optimism. I really do.

But no 2-loss team has ever gotten into the playoffs. And I don't think this year will be an exception. undefeateds and one-loss only.

Now, the outside, maybe just tiny itty bitty possibility of an exception to that rule is a 2-loss SEC champion. Yep, I mean LSU. But (a) they're not gonna beat UGa, and (b) even if they were to, I don't think they have much chance of sliding into the playoffs. TCU would have to lose twice (one regular season game and their conference championship), Clemson lose another, and USCw lose. All that on top of LSU beating UGa. Just don't see all those stars aligning.

Far more likely, UGa plus both the winner and maybe loser of OSU/Michigan (the loser taking the path we wanted to take, of sitting out their conference CG and getting invited at 11-1), plus some combination of B12 champ TCU, ACC champ Clemson, and PAC champ USCw will fill all the four spots. That's six viable teams for four spots. Probably four of them will still be -0 or -1 in their win/loss record.

Our Vols, definitely not getting in with 2 losses and no conference championship. Simply won't happen.

Hoping Sugar or Peach Bowl!

Go Vols!
If LSU beats Ga they will be SEC Champs. I do not see the committee denying the SEC Champ a spot in the CFP. AND how could they keep a one lost Ga out of the CFP. I don't see any way that Ga is not in the CFP (assuming they don't pull a Tennessee in their remaining regular season game).

Michigan getting blown out by Ohio State for their only loss would be worse than us with two losses and getting curb stomped by South Carolina? You'll have to explain that one to me.
No it wouldn't and it's not even close. We gave up 63 points to a bad team. That is historically bad

Last edited:
Reactions: Zues1

VN Store

Back