We played 3 championship weekend teams

I maintain that in those first 3 games, Tennessee was still getting acclimated to Heupel’s system. The light came on after the Florida game. Play Florida and Pitt later and this team is 9-3. Those 13 penalties were indicative of a team still trying to figure it out.

Also…remember the blocked kick TD that was called because of a penalty? Ugh. That’s right up there with the fumble return TD that was called back against Ole Miss. This team is an eyelash and some bad breaks from 10-2. I think we hit that record next year.
I agree. Usually teams don’t put things together as quickly as we did in the first year under a new coach but it still takes time. As has been stated many times on here, Saban went 6-6 his first year at Bama including a loss to La-Monroe. A small section of our fans are ridiculous when they say things like Heupel can’t evaluate QBs or Pitt is terrible but those fans have always existed and always will. I don’t know if we make it to 10-2 next year or not but it’s possible. I’m leaning towards 9-3 if we get everyone back that can come back but a lot can happen between now and next September.

I agree. Usually teams don’t put things together as quickly as we did in the first year under a new coach but it still takes time. As has been stated many times on here, Saban went 6-6 his first year at Bama including a loss to La-Monroe. A small section of our fans are ridiculous when they say things like Heupel can’t evaluate QBs or Pitt is terrible but those fans have always existed and always will. I don’t know if we make it to 10-2 next year or not but it’s possible. I’m leaning towards 9-3 if we get everyone back that can come back but a lot can happen between now and next September.

Great point about Saban’s first year. He went 12-1 the next year. Same thing happened (a big jump) in the 2nd years of Meyer at Florida (9-4 to 13-1), Stoops at OU (7-5 to 13-0), Carroll at USC (6-6 to 11-2), Kirby at Georgia (7-5 to 13-2), Kiffin at Ole Miss (5-5 to 10-2), etc.

The big jump always takes place in the 2nd season. That’s when culture has become established, systems installed, etc.

If nothing else, Tennessee will have more bodies next year. Guys will certainly develop from year 1 to year 2 (expect Jaylen Wright and some linemen to really improve). Tennessee will be a much improved team next year, just by virtue of time, acclimation, development, and understanding.

If Heupel can access the transfer portal effectively and bring in some immediate help, plus pull in some of the higher rated recruits for the next class, the situation on the hill can be flipped a lot quicker. Big if, but the evidence is there for recruits and transfers to see what he can do. And no, I would not, for any reason, switch out for the 3 teams mentioned earlier. Tennessee can compete with the big 3 with the right roster.

To me the only question left about this staff is, can they recruit?

They have proven that they can get more out of the players than our last 3 coach's could.

the unknown factor at this time is if the NCAA investigation holding their ability to recruit right now.

I personally think that the investigation is done and if anything else is handed down it will be minor.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
We haven't had capable JIMMIES and JOES in 15 years? Everyone was the same way with Dooley. Everyone was same way with Jones. And along came Pruitt and some of you proclaimed he was the football God coming to rescue Tennessee football. I'm not saying Heupel isn't the coach for the job but refusing to admit there wasn't some coaching blunders in some key moments is wrong. So take all the scores of this year and years past tell me exactly where this improvement is. Sure, they beat Kentucky, but it's it's sad day in Tennessee football when Kentucky is a milestone win. I get the offense is great, the defense is terrible. I remember the saying offense wins ballgames, defense wins championships. I just hope in 2 or 3 years if and if Tennessee isn't on the same page as the big 3, that you still have the same optimism.
Can you quote where anyone is saying that Coach Heupel is perfect?

You really are making the same, tired argument in parallel threads, aren't you?

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Exa

Exactly. But some people here are satisfied with mediocrity. I never in my lifetime thought I would see the day that beating Kentucky in a game of football was the mark of a good season. But most people on here strongly disagree with me. My argument is no matter how you spin it a 25 point loss is still a 25 point loss no matter if it came over the course of 4 quarters or in the 4th quarter alone.
Then you sir didn’t grow up in the 70-80’s. Because you were either a diehard VFL or you were just a bystander. NOW the 25 point loses are the results of going for 4th downs and not being able to stop them. Due to the lack of DEPTH late in ball games is our biggest issue. Coaches decisions in critical moments when they go for it. Desperate moments instead of a field goal or punting for field position! There’s your blowouts !!!

Reactions: Orange_Crush
Im old enough that I remember being a little kid in Clarksville and there being two teams. Vols and Bama. For some reason Bama was big in Clarksville. Bear Bryant was still the coach...in his last couple years...but we had gone thru a long stretch of losing to them. Then we went on a long stretch of beating them. Now I pray this torturous streak ends soon and the winds finally change again.

I have a few strong opinions on this subject but I’m just not up to the verbal abuse you guys are handing out this morning so I’ll contemplate them on my own for the moment. 🙄😂

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Florida too. I shake my head when I think about how we’ve lost to those clowns.
We’ll get over the GA hump much easier than the FL or AL hump. For some reason our program can’t get FL out of our minds and until Saban retires, AL will continue to have the best coach in the country.

Is it more fun to play Georgia and bama and lose… or play Maryland, Illinois and Indiana and win?
Yes just doesn’t translate. We’d probably be playing in ACC championship if we were in that conference. All the reason when you get to a higher level and win the SEC, it’s a bigger chance to win it all.

We’ll get over the GA hump much easier than the FL or AL hump. For some reason our program can’t get FL out of our minds and until Saban retires, AL will continue to have the best coach in the country.
for some reason UF is same as UK is for us.

Reactions: TN1111
We get to play Vandy, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Missouri every year. Give me a break. It is not like we are in the SEC West where we would be in the bottom half of the teams most years.

Reactions: Volsfannn
Then you sir didn’t grow up in the 70-80’s. Because you were either a diehard VFL or you were just a bystander. NOW the 25 point loses are the results of going for 4th downs and not being able to stop them. Due to the lack of DEPTH late in ball games is our biggest issue. Coaches decisions in critical moments when they go for it. Desperate moments instead of a field goal or punting for field position! There’s your blowouts !!!
Depth. How many years can UT realistically ride that coat tail? Some fans been riding it 15 years. So what is a time frame? 20 years? Funny other teams don't ride it. It's an automatic out for UT fans. It was the best year in a very long time to beat Florida, depth didn't have s__t to do with it. A few bad coaching calls blew that game early.

We get to play Vandy, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Missouri every year. Give me a break. It is not like we are in the SEC West where we would be in the bottom half of the teams most years.
I'm 43 years old by the way. Can not stand bama and get shunned because I can not stomach to pull for bama in sec championship game.

Depth. How many years can UT realistically ride that coat tail? Some fans been riding it 15 years. So what is a time frame? 20 years? Funny other teams don't ride it. It's an automatic out for UT fans. It was the best year in a very long time to beat Florida, depth didn't have s__t to do with it. A few bad coaching calls blew that game early.
I’m just curious to what rock have you’ve been hiding under? Where have you been and not understand what has transpired in the last year? Yes it was all about depth issues and new systems and (AT) Florida ! Everything was completely NEW ! You name it everything NEW ! Do you expect a team to gel as if they’ve been in the system for years.? I agree there’s somethings on decision making...in my opinion that needs rethinking.

Get rid of the cupcakes, football season is to short as it is.

Why waste weekends smashing cupcakes?
I believe the value in playing "cupcakes" is the live game experience to be had. Playing those admittedly weaker teams allows the coach's game plan to be more fully implemented and can be used as (essentially) live scrimmage. You can't get that when every week is a top 10 opponent. The improvements this years team made as the season went on is proof, to me at least of the value of those games.
That said...I wouldn't want to be in a weaker conference. To BE the best...you have to BEAT the best.
SEC..SEC..SEC..!!!!

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Yes, I know, we lost all 3. And I wouldn’t ever want to play in any other league. But wouldn’t it be cool to imagine playing Maryland Illinois and Indiana instead?
The BiGTen is not like the SEC , academic standards are alot higher period. Is what it is. The whole conference is AAU schools besides Nebraska . SEC will always have the better teams top to bottom.

VN Store

Back