We might be done with 1 & dones after this starts

I think this is great. The free market has responded. Now college can be a place for amateur sports like it is intended, and we don't have to worry about paying players.

In addition to being paid six figure in scholarships/room/board, I am pretty sure this is not going to stop the long history of paying players whether it be in FedEx envelopes like Eddie Sutton did at Kentucky or in McDonalds bags like we did in football.

This is for 16-18 year olds. This is different than the G-League option for sure. Although I do agree that it will be a small number of players that opt for it as the exposure will be limited compared to high-level college ball.

You do realize this already existed with the G-League, which was paying guys up to $500k, right? Not that many opted to participate.

Multiple likely lottery picks played for ignite this year. There’s more potential exposure in ncaa but there’s legal money and potentially better development in the g league. I imagine it’d be a tough choice for anyone coming out of high school with that kind of talent right now. You’d have to at least consider it.

I'm honestly fine with places like this and the G-League opting to pay top talent. College basketball will probably be better in the long term if it's mostly people who actually WANT to play college basketball. So, I say go for it.

100%! I like college basketball and couldn't give a hoot about the NBA. Those athletes are amazing but, it's just not my thing. Hence, I love the 4-5 year players and kids that become part of a school's fabric. Patrick Ewing was a Georgetown for 4 years. The same for Christian Laettner and Duke. That's the college ball I love. I don't think college should be a one year stop in the minor leagues.

Obviously, I'm an old codger. I'll live with it! Go Vols!

I don't like it. You are taking the college option away from kids at 16 years old. To me, that's too early to be limiting options for kids. There are only so many Lamelo Balls whereas most are LiAngelo Balls. Where is that kid now? Of course teenagers are going to be seduced by 6 figures and it has the added benefit of continuing the facade of the NCAA being some pure amateur sport.

I like the G League, but I think this is a step too far.

Reactions: spencer1989
Doubt it. They will be paid for their likeness and I’m sure schools will still drop the bag. Will the kids who want to skip college do it? Yeah, but I don’t think it will be as big as we think.

I am excited to watch these games, though.

I don't like it. You are taking the college option away from kids at 16 years old. To me, that's too early to be limiting options for kids. There are only so many Lamelo Balls whereas most are LiAngelo Balls. Where is that kid now? Of course teenagers are going to be seduced by 6 figures and it has the added benefit of continuing the facade of the NCAA being some pure amateur sport.

I like the G League, but I think this is a step too far.
Lmao wtf are you talking about?

Doubt it. They will be paid for their likeness and I’m sure schools will still drop the bag. Will the kids who want to skip college do it? Yeah, but I don’t think it will be as big as we think.

I am excited to watch these games, though.

I don't think the league will last long, probably longer than the Ball league, though. Who wants to pony up the money or watch teenage prospects play with no connection to the teams? How many watched Montverde play Sunrise the other week with all those prospects on the floor? Is it going to operate as a farm league funded by the NBA? I have a lot of questions about how this would work.

You said this idea is taking away options for kids. It couldn't be any more opposite.

Not to answer for him and I might be reading it wrong, but I think he means if a 16 year old commits to this, then the college option is gone for good and 16 is kind of young for college to be taken away.

Probably 75% of the players that opt to go this route will flame out, waste their money, and have zero education..............and then blame somebody about not being able to go back and play college basketball...Then that rule change will take place because God forbid people have to live with their decisions and consequences.

You said this idea is taking away options for kids. It couldn't be any more opposite.

Yes, it is. A 16 year old making a decision to join this league has thrown away an option to play college ball. That's an awfully early point to be making those types of decisions for kids. Kids who are potentially manipulated by parents, relatives, hangers on, etc. while at a young age and others who could be in control of the money flow for a minor. Find a way for a kid to still be college eligible, then I'm way more on board. I'm just a little more reticent about a kid's pro league. It seems ripe for exploitation and this is from a guy wholeheartedly on board for college players getting their cut of the profits.

Not to answer for him and I might be reading it wrong, but I think he means if a 16 year old commits to this, then the college option is gone for good and 16 is kind of young for college to be taken away.
Oh, I bet that is what he was talking about. Yeah, in that sense, I suppose the kids do take that option away from themselves under the current regulations.

I personally don't think that should prohibit a kid from opting to play in college at any point. But we know I'm just full of pipe dreams.

Reactions: cncchris33
Yes, it is. A 16 year old making a decision to join this league has thrown away an option to play college ball. That's an awfully early point to be making those types of decisions for kids. Kids who are potentially manipulated by parents, relatives, hangers on, etc. while at a young age and others who could be in control of the money flow for a minor. Find a way for a kid to still be college eligible, then I'm way more on board. I'm just a little more reticent about a kid's pro league. It seems ripe for exploitation and this is from a guy wholeheartedly on board for college players getting their cut of the profits.
You are right, I obviously was not thinking along those lines.

NCAA just needs to drop the amateurism charade imo. If a kid realizes they made a bad choice, they shouldn't be prohibited from playing the college game.

VN Store

Back