We might be done with 1 & dones after this starts

I don't think the league will last long, probably longer than the Ball league, though. Who wants to pony up the money or watch teenage prospects play with no connection to the teams? How many watched Montverde play Sunrise the other week with all those prospects on the floor? Is it going to operate as a farm league funded by the NBA? I have a lot of questions about how this would work.
I did. It was fun to watch future NBA stars. But I get what you’re saying. The casual fan doesn’t care.

In addition to being paid six figure in scholarships/room/board, I am pretty sure this is not going to stop the long history of paying players whether it be in FedEx envelopes like Eddie Sutton did at Kentucky or in McDonalds bags like we did in football.
like we "allegedly" did in football.

I do not foresee this ever getting off the ground, too many stipulations and where is the big money coming from to support the league, administration and players. Not the NBA, they are in a tailspin atm.

I think this is great. The free market has responded. Now college can be a place for amateur sports like it is intended, and we don't have to worry about paying players.
No, just the opposite! Now universities will be forced to pay scrubs such as myself, to play college basketball. This is a win for the little guy(literally)
GBO!!

I don't like it. You are taking the college option away from kids at 16 years old. To me, that's too early to be limiting options for kids. There are only so many Lamelo Balls whereas most are LiAngelo Balls. Where is that kid now? Of course teenagers are going to be seduced by 6 figures and it has the added benefit of continuing the facade of the NCAA being some pure amateur sport.

I like the G League, but I think this is a step too far.

Although I'm of old school mentality and probably older than many here (at 64).....I understand this!

This will never last. It won’t have any kind of following/fan support. Just drop the one year rule and allow kids to go straight to the NBA if that’s what they want.

Reactions: Lurker
This will never last. It won’t have any kind of following/fan support. Just drop the one year rule and allow kids to go straight to the NBA if that’s what they want.

Agree. I really don't think college is best for everyone (although I hope the opportunity to go to college is available to all who want to go and are qualified). Our society needs welders and builders and farmers and you name the job every bit as much or more than newly minted BA and BS degrees with no discernable skill sets or job opportunities. If a kid is a genuinely skilled athlete and wants to directly pursue a pro dream (no matter how far fetched), I don't understand why he or she needs to be forced to pretend they are interested in a college education when they may not be. I think pro teams should fund their sports' player development programs while colleges should focus on education and providing athletics as an adjunct to their school programs. I prefer the MLB or professional soccer model to the NFL and NBA's historic use of colleges as a minor league.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup

VN Store

Back