We got out coached today

From what I’ve heard he’s been hitting on the deep routes. If he did that in game we’d blown them out. The other QBs don’t have that arm potential. They adjusted the offense when Hooker came in. More middle passes to TEs and QB runs

I've heard the opposite. Milton was overthrowing in practice too.

The Pitt defense almost asked Milton to throw the deep ball. We're going to see that everytime he steps foot on the field, almost JG like where the DCs invite him to put the ball in the air.

When it's crunch time, you are deep and you absolutely have to have it, you throw the "hurry up" out the window along with everything that goes with it (say read option)! You put the QB under center and have a BIG in the backfield to lead the running back. Thats how you get the six inches to tie and force overtime! Anyway, that's what an old man would do!

Reactions: Doberman
I reckon it just depends on how you want to look at things. On one hand with the lack of discipline, ie penalties, that was on display....we had no business being that close. Same song as last week with Milton, if he hits a couple of those balls in the first half it changes the complexion of the game. I'd like to see less chirping and more consistency from Banks, his unsportsmanlike, and the block in the back on the kick 6 cost 14 points. Hooker has earned a shot to be QB 1 next week and Bailey moves up to QB 2. A play here or there and the good guys come away with the W. I thought I heard during the broadcast that we have 75 scholarship players ?! That lack of depth is going to bite us in the butt come conference season.

Reactions: lukeneyland
This is my fi rst reply in 6 of 7 years. I just can’t listen to some Vols fans blaming the refs. Refs called it ok. Don’blame them for the fact that Milton overthrew everyone. That was the difference in the game. DO NOT BLAME THE REFEREES. Milton has no touch on the ball. The defense put us in a position to win in the first half, the special teams put us in a position to win and the quarterback wasted the opportunity to make them pay. We lost the opportunity to score 7 to 14 points due to Milton’s inability to throw the long ball with any accuracy. This is the difference. This team is impressive in their ability on defense. The special teams did their job, the offense was in the right position to succeed based on the play calls that we saw. Joe just couldn’t put the ball where it needed to be. Hooker looked good for the things the we saw and the position that he was put in . Hopefully getting the first team snaps will show up in future performances in the future. I am behind the Vols 100% and am not trying to be negative, but Joe is not the answer right now at quarterback. He has lots of work to do. Let’s just not blame the referees for the loss without accepting the that in this rebuilding year that the previous coaching staff left us in a in a completely depleted position. 71 scholarship players. That is short 14 quality players. You tell me how you cover a loss of 7 offensive players and 7 defensive players. Who do you blame? They just hung with a power 5 school, and lost by one touchdown. DO NOT BLAME THE REFS. THANK THE COACHING STAFF FOR THEIR ABILITY TO KEEP US IN THE GAME! If you want to blame someone, let’s go back and blame the AD that started this downward spiral....... Hamilton. He hired Kiffen with no real buyout. He settled for Dooley and we all know where these decisions left us in the coaching search. We ended up with Butch Jones. He was over his head from day one. In addition to a complete lack of leadership from the office of the AD, moves were made at an inopportune time which forced us to make decisions that were made based on timing and not upon what was best for the program. Let’s be re realistic in the expectation of this team going forward. Let’s be 2-1 going in to the Florida game. This is the game that counts. GO VOLUNTEERS!!!
The team continually finding a way to lose was the difference.
The officiating was atrocious, and was a contributing factor to our finding a way to lose efforts.

Reactions: tennesseeduke
Coach started the wrong QB.

He burned time outs that we needed at the end.

He called a horrible 4th and inches call that probably cost us atleast getting it tied and going to over time.

Just kinda feel like Dooley 2.0 and I hope I am wrong.

Agree with QB choice and the 4th down call but otherwise no problem with the coaching.

In fact, given 3-4 years I predict CJH will have us back to being better than we have been for the past 20 years.

Everyone needs to take a deep breath here on Sunday and step away from the ledge! The sky isn’t falling and we will be ok. We let that one get away yesterday and lost a game that we should have won. I personally thought we would win that one in my preseason picks. Lots of things turned that game. The main thing was the penalties. That has to be cleaned up and it will be. Everyone wants to crucify CJH for not going under center on 4th down and I get it but if the play worked, no ones is even talking about it today. The officials were terrible but that is something you have to get through. I had a coach tell me once, I have NEVER had an official beat me. If you play well, a bad official won’t matter. Well, we played like crap most of the day and put ourselves in that position. Should that have been a first down or should CJH have challenged the spot? Yes and no. Yes it looks like he definitely had a first down. Do you challenge? That’s not so simple. We had several replays looked at yesterday and pretty much every one came down to there was no clear evidence to overturn it. I’m sure CJH didn’t want to lose his last timeout on another one and I would not either. We can still get to a bowl game. Kentucky and Missouri didn’t show me anything to make me think we can’t win again one or both of them. We need to take care of our business though. People around the program tried to get people to pump the brakes on our optimism before the season began when fans were screaming we will win 8, 9, or 10 games this year. Not gonna happen. We are in the beginning of another major rebuild here. These injuries could hurt us a lot throughout the year. No matter what happens, and I know people don’t want to hear it because we have heard it all too much lately, but this is a throw away year for our Vols. The main thing is that we remain competitive and start signing recruits to help us in the next couple cycles. Kids watching that game yesterday have to have been saying to themselves, ok Tennessee is better than Pitt right now. I could see myself going there and winning. Don’t give in to the Battered Vols Syndrome and pack in the season! We will be ok. Better days are ahead for our Tennessee Volunteers!! Go Big Orange!

I felt a lot better about yesterday’s loss than I have in years watching Tennessee because at least we were competitive and more fun to watch. I would much rather watch that 41-34 loss to Pitt than the Kentucky game last year. At least it wasn’t watching us lose to BYU, Georgia State, or almost losing to Appalachian St, UMass, or South Alabama. Appreciate the hope that we do have instead of focusing on all the negativity. Give the QB’s some time to mature as the season goes on. Every clamoring for Harrison Bailey just stop. He was the 3rd string qb for a reason. Maybe he gets better and can help us this or maybe he doesn’t. But he is not the answer right now. He may have to play next week so let’s just see how things go. I hate to lose more than I like to win and there’s a difference! Take comfort in that we are not and won’t be the steaming turd of the SEC this year.

Everyone needs to take a deep breath here on Sunday and step away from the ledge! The sky isn’t falling and we will be ok. We let that one get away yesterday and lost a game that we should have won. I personally thought we would win that one in my preseason picks. Lots of things turned that game. The main thing was the penalties. That has to be cleaned up and it will be. Everyone wants to crucify CJH for not going under center on 4th down and I get it but if the play worked, no ones is even talking about it today. The officials were terrible but that is something you have to get through. I had a coach tell me once, I have NEVER had an official beat me. If you play well, a bad official won’t matter. Well, we played like crap most of the day and put ourselves in that position. Should that have been a first down or should CJH have challenged the spot? Yes and no. Yes it looks like he definitely had a first down. Do you challenge? That’s not so simple. We had several replays looked at yesterday and pretty much every one came down to there was no clear evidence to overturn it. I’m sure CJH didn’t want to lose his last timeout on another one and I would not either. We can still get to a bowl game. Kentucky and Missouri didn’t show me anything to make me think we can’t win again one or both of them. We need to take care of our business though. People around the program tried to get people to pump the brakes on our optimism before the season began when fans were screaming we will win 8, 9, or 10 games this year. Not gonna happen. We are in the beginning of another major rebuild here. These injuries could hurt us a lot throughout the year. No matter what happens, and I know people don’t want to hear it because we have heard it all too much lately, but this is a throw away year for our Vols. The main thing is that we remain competitive and start signing recruits to help us in the next couple cycles. Kids watching that game yesterday have to have been saying to themselves, ok Tennessee is better than Pitt right now. I could see myself going there and winning. Don’t give in to the Battered Vols Syndrome and pack in the season! We will be ok. Better days are ahead for our Tennessee Volunteers!! Go Big Orange!
I would absolutely question the 4th and inches call regardless if it had worked

Not so sure that the Vols were out coached just looks like to me more talent on the side of the bad guys, let's hope it gets better.

He called a horrible 4th and inches call that probably cost us atleast getting it tied and going to over time.

You’re wrong. Glad you hoped for it

We can blame coaching for the 4th down call but it was pure lack of discipline that led to 13 penalties for 130+ yards. The word is Milton rarely misses those passes in practice, the right play calls were made in those situations but we didn’t execute. Pretty simple

Reactions: Orange Raid

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha !!

Attachments

• Alferd C. Newman.jpg
    Alferd C. Newman.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 0

I’d say this team is already better coached than the fire drill we had last year. We burned multiple TOs per game getting people line up.

I would absolutely question the 4th and inches call regardless if it had worked
We get it and go ahead and win? Everyone is too busy talking about what a great win it was and how we are going bowling again and probably the team that will finish 3rd but maybe even 2nd in the East this year (the first year under CJH). Great coaches make calls and assume risk because they know their team better than we fans do. How many people questioned Urban Meyer, Chip Kelley, and even Chris Peterson when they were winning?? Yeah it’s a really small number. Let’s all take a breath and enjoy the ride. Even in the loss, this feels better than anything we’ve had since Kiffin left for USC with the exception of the blowout bowl win over Northwestern before things blew up on Butch.

No we didn’t! That’s your BS opinion! Facts are: Team made to many mistakes to win a 1 score game. 130+yds in penalties. 3 turnovers, overthrown balls, not converting on 4 down inside the 15. 35 yds in penalties after 1st and goal at the 5. Coaches coach and players play! Coaches got them into those positions, players have to execute!

I was just thinking Dooley 2.0. In the job interview for UT's coach, they need to include the questions "Do you know what a QB sneak is? Will you run it at the appropriate time?
And when the QB sneak fails, you will post, do you know what a toss sweep is, or do you know what a power I is or .......

Not sure if that was on Heupel or Hooker....If that was a called option Hooker chose the wrong read.
This post gets it! If Hooker keeps the ball you can see on the replay he probably scores a TD because everyone crashed in on the running back dive.

VN Store

Back