We can beat Mississippi St.

Mississippi -7, a little move, some of the UT fans are actually putting up some cash on the team to cover.

I know this is a somewhat different team with BM at the helm, but two words keep coming back to me...

Georgia State.

But Go Vols.
I don't think hindsight is fair. I think Pruitt's decision to try to turn JG around was reasonable even though I don't think it was the direction he should have chosen.

I don't know but suspect that Maurer would not have been ready to start at the beginning of the season. Maybe he could have been had they devoted themselves to preparing him through spring and summer. We will never know.

I say all that to say this. I believe firmly that UT beats GSU badly and BYU comfortably with a QB playing as well as Maurer played this last Saturday. Give GSU credit. They recognized how to make the secondary "look" to make JG check down for short yardage. They counted on him to not find open receivers and make mistakes by being too cautious. They perfectly gameplanned by putting the game on JG's decision making and risk assessments.... and paralyzed the UT O for much of the game.

I've picked on the kid a lot but it isn't personal at all. I appreciate that he stuck it out and never quit trying. He's tough as nails. I love the way he throws the ball... it is sad that will never be turned into what it could have been on Saturdays for UT. But whether it is just broken confidence, inability to process information quickly, inability to anticipate, not handling pressure well, or some other reason... JG can't handle the mental part of playing QB.

It isn't a matter of "intelligence" but some folks just don't process as quickly and decisively as others. You can't have a QB who deliberates over his decisions too long or constantly questions his own decisions.

You are correct the Auburn D brought average yard per carry down. We will play closer to the D that UK brought against MSU.
Auburn brought their average down. UF rushed for 132 vs Auburn... and 128 vs UT. Granted the nature of the games were different and UF had a field day throwing... but UT looked good much of the time against them vs the run. UT held them to 3.46 ypc vs Auburn's 4.00 ypc. UF had over 5 ypc vs UK.

Auburn brought their average down. UF rushed for 132 vs Auburn... and 128 vs UT. Granted the nature of the games were different and UF had a field day throwing... but UT looked good much of the time against them vs the run. UT held them to 3.46 ypc vs Auburn's 4.00 ypc. UF had over 5 ypc vs UK.
3-34, I don't know if it is reasonable to say we held them to, or we shut anything down, or reduced their average, they seemed busy scoring. They haven't lost a game yet this season, maybe they are not as worried about a given stat, as they are about winning each and every game.

The Vols can compete with anyone for a couple of quarters. The problem is that when it gets later in the game we fall short. I don't know enough about MSU to say, but if they can outlast UT, it will be another loss for the Vols. I hope UT can match up to MSU though. I really want to see the Vols victorious again.

Reactions: I40flyer
3-34, I don't know if it is reasonable to say we held them to, or we shut anything down, or reduced their average, they seemed busy scoring. They haven't lost a game yet this season, maybe they are not as worried about a given stat, as they are about winning each and every game.
Yet when it suits your purpose you talk about a given stat?

UT did look decent against UF's rushing attack even before the game got out of hand. They couldn't stop the pass. JG and the O couldn't stay on the field. But in that narrow part of the game UT didn't play poorly. Overall, UT actually allows about a half yard less per carry than MSU. Both are at the bottom of the SEC rushing D.

That may or may not mean anything for this game... but while UT isn't a good team... MSU simply isn't the world beater some of you seem to be suggesting either. This is a game of young guys that haven't found their direction versus a team of older players that just aren't very good.

Like most issues here... there seems to be very little balance in this discussion. Some of you argue that MSU is such a juggarnaut running the ball that UT has no shot. Some argue that UT will win for various "hopeful" reasons.

I think neither team is very good at this point... but I also think MSU is pretty much what they're going to be. They're a mature team for the most part. Their improvement curve is pretty flat. Ten of their top 11 tacklers are juniors or seniors. They represent 73% of their total tackles with the rest being spread over another 26 players.

MSU starts one RS Fr on D. The rest of their starters are Jrs or Srs. Eighteen of those players had a RS year. Only two true Freshman are listed in MSU's two deep. They are.... what they are.

UT is young and even younger with Maurer. They are still on the fairly steep part of their improvement curve. UT currently lists 6 Fr starters. There are a total of 12 Fr plus some Sophs in the two deep. Improvement often occurs in fits and starts rather than smooth curves but it is not unreasonable to hope that UT will build off the first half vs UGA and play better this week than they did in previous weeks.

Auburn held them to 118 yds on the ground. MSU is getting their yards on the ground against bad defenses. I know our isn’t great but if you can force them to throw the ball then I think we can be effective on D
Auburn has the best d line in the country, so 118 vs Auburn equals 225 vs Tennessee’s defense. When you say they are getting their yards against bad defenses, what do you think Tennessee’s defense is?

Auburn has the best d line in the country, so 118 vs Auburn equals 225 vs Tennessee’s defense. When you say they are getting their yards against bad defenses, what do you think Tennessee’s defense is?
UF ran for 132 yds and a 4.00 ypc avg vs Auburn. MSU had 118 for a 3.11 ypc avg.

UF had 128 yds and a 3.46 ypc avg vs UT. They didn't run the ball well vs UT even before the game began to get out of hand.

I don't know if this means anything or not. I just don't think you can make the knee jerk assumption you are making... yet.

As weird as this may sound, UT held UF, UGA, and GSU below their season averages for yards per game and YPC. They were almost exactly average against BYU.

Yet when it suits your purpose you talk about a given stat?

UT did look decent against UF's rushing attack even before the game got out of hand. They couldn't stop the pass. JG and the O couldn't stay on the field. But in that narrow part of the game UT didn't play poorly. Overall, UT actually allows about a half yard less per carry than MSU. Both are at the bottom of the SEC rushing D.

That may or may not mean anything for this game... but while UT isn't a good team... MSU simply isn't the world beater some of you seem to be suggesting either. This is a game of young guys that haven't found their direction versus a team of older players that just aren't very good.

Like most issues here... there seems to be very little balance in this discussion. Some of you argue that MSU is such a juggarnaut running the ball that UT has no shot. Some argue that UT will win for various "hopeful" reasons.

I think neither team is very good at this point... but I also think MSU is pretty much what they're going to be. They're a mature team for the most part. Their improvement curve is pretty flat. Ten of their top 11 tacklers are juniors or seniors. They represent 73% of their total tackles with the rest being spread over another 26 players.

MSU starts one RS Fr on D. The rest of their starters are Jrs or Srs. Eighteen of those players had a RS year. Only two true Freshman are listed in MSU's two deep. They are.... what they are.

UT is young and even younger with Maurer. They are still on the fairly steep part of their improvement curve. UT currently lists 6 Fr starters. There are a total of 12 Fr plus some Sophs in the two deep. Improvement often occurs in fits and starts rather than smooth curves but it is not unreasonable to hope that UT will build off the first half vs UGA and play better this week than they did in previous weeks.
Actually, your ability to read AND understand is troubling! If anyone reads my post, they will be able to see with their own eyes, I stated, " maybe they are not as worried about a given stat, as they are about winning each and every game". You make stuff up to suit your own purpose-even Stevie Wonder can see this, please put down the crack pipe. SEE POST #105 THIS STRING, FIRST LINE

Last edited:
Am I the only one that thinks we could very well win this weekend? Maurer will only get better and more confident, he threw for 259 2/1 against one of the best defenses in the country so no reason to think we won’t be even better against MSU. Our D is suspect but MSU doesn’t scare me offensively. In fact, MSU doesn’t scare me that much period. They beat up on their cupcakes, lost to a pedestrian Kansas State, was unimpressive vs a bad Kentucky team, and absolutely got destroyed against Auburn. Tell me I’m crazy.

We could have beat Ga St and BYU too. what does that matter?

Actually, your ability to read AND understand is troubling! If anyone reads my post, they will be able to see with their own eyes, I stated, " maybe they are not as worried about a given stat, as they are about winning each and every game". You make stuff up to suit your own purpose-even Stevie Wonder can see this, please put down the crack pipe. SEE POST #105 THIS STRING, FIRST LINE
I know what you said about them... and what you said otherwise to make your point.

Lol you’ve seen these boards.....nope your not the only one.

There’s 10,000 of you
And like 50 of me who thinks MSU is going to run it down Tennessee’s throat.

oh ye of little faith.

GO VOLS

Am I the only one that thinks we could very well win this weekend? Maurer will only get better and more confident, he threw for 259 2/1 against one of the best defenses in the country so no reason to think we won’t be even better against MSU. Our D is suspect but MSU doesn’t scare me offensively. In fact, MSU doesn’t scare me that much period. They beat up on their cupcakes, lost to a pedestrian Kansas State, was unimpressive vs a bad Kentucky team, and absolutely got destroyed against Auburn. Tell me I’m crazy.
Yes. You are the only one.

Reactions: JoAllan

VN Store

Back