We can beat Mississippi St.

MSU has a good run game and we’re horrible at stopping the run.

Better hope the offense puts up a ton of points.
We'll see how horrible MSU is at stopping the run. If CP tries to start running, our -O- line will get tired early (earlier than they usually do). We've been running out of gas, in the 2nd half, you had better have you team in SEC Football condition to try to maximize your running downs against any (including Vandy) SEC team.

If Maurer is announced as our starter-I'll be glad, as it will indicate to me that big hit he took from UGA, was just that, and nothing more. If he isn't announced as our starter, I'd expect a big shift in the money line.

We'll see how horrible MSU is at stopping the run. If CP tries to start running, our -O- line will get tired early (earlier than they usually do). We've been running out of gas, in the 2nd half, you had better have you team in SEC Football condition to try to maximize your running downs against any (including Vandy) SEC team.

OL shouldn’t never gas out.

I have no idea what the line is, but I would not bet against MSU here.

In the SEC, it starts with the OL and DL. If you're weak or thin there, you're in trouble. Witness the UF game, where UT got hammered, and the UGA game, where we actually played well...for one half. The war is won or lost in the trenches, and this team is simply lacking in talent and depth there. Once again, it is what it is. Only recruiting and player development can fix that. But only so much you can do this year with what you have, so...

Maurer has provided a spark for the offense. That's about all he can do. He's got skills, and moxie, but the OL still has to block; the backs still have to find the seam; and the receivers still have to beat the coverage. When they can't, well...2nd half against UGA. Take Maurer out of the game, as UGA proved, and you take UT out of the game.

Our DL is simply not SEC-level at this point. Again, only recruiting and development can fix that. Won't happen this year.

IMO, what a lot of long-time UT fans have a hard time understanding is that there was a time when we had an OL and DL that could match up with any other SEC team. Those were the "happy times". In the last 10 or so years, our lines have fallen off, and so have the wins. Juaun Jennings is a hell of an athlete, but you have to get the ball to him to give him a chance. One special player doth not a good team make. You need the horses on the lines to make it work. Good foundation, good team. JJ is a difference maker, not a season-saver. He's worth one, maybe two wins a season. If you have time to get him the ball. if not, then he's the top line for yards receiving in a losing effort.

Pruitt and his staff need to be out there looking for anyone 290+ who has a pulse and quick feet. You can bulk them up and coach them up once they're here. But until and unless you can line up your 5 against their 4+ on offense, or your 3+ against their 5 on defense, you are not going to win the tough games...and they're all tough in the SEC.

Go Vols.

Maurer gives us a chance. For me, the BIG problem, is size,depth, and experience. Just not sure we can hang in "4 quarters" with a team who has size and strength. To be honest, I've not watched much college ball on Saturdays. The vols have sucked the thrill of watching other games out of me. I say that, to say, I really don't know how big Miss St players are. Are they a young team or a seasoned team? I have no idea. For us to win, I'm thinking we're going to have to score several on them before half time, and hope to hold them off the second half. I don't know, JMO. GBO!

I have a uncle lives by the stadium in Starkville big fan. He does not like the HC Joe Morehead says he's not SEC caliber. He loves D coordinator Bob Shoop who was at UT and coached at Vandy & Penn State. So I believe their D will be ready. My uncle says on O you never know whats gonna happen. either feast or famine.
So there's a chance and we have played a lot of noon games so it's a familiar stadium at a familiar time. Believe the fans and team have a bit of new life.

MSU has a RB Hill that averages 120 yards a game rushing. That’s 20 better than the next RB. He statistically leads in almost every category. Our run def is pretty bad. That’s not a good match up for us. So those thinking this is a pretty even matchup need to take of the glasses and look again. Can we win? Sure but we aren’t even.

K. Hill averages 5.5 yards per carry and 3.8 per carry agin SEC teams
had-
045 yards vs Auburn
120 agi UK
111 agi K state
123 agi southern Miss
197 agin Laffayette

Am I the only one that thinks we could very well win this weekend? Maurer will only get better and more confident, he threw for 259 2/1 against one of the best defenses in the country so no reason to think we won’t be even better against MSU. Our D is suspect but MSU doesn’t scare me offensively. In fact, MSU doesn’t scare me that much period. They beat up on their cupcakes, lost to a pedestrian Kansas State, was unimpressive vs a bad Kentucky team, and absolutely got destroyed against Auburn. Tell me I’m crazy.
We can beat Georgia State to!! Oh wait no we can’t!!!!

He threw both of those in the first half and was pretty inaccurate on a lot of throws. It's hard to analyze because it's #3 UGA and a freshman with his first start.We can beat MSU by a few things in conjunction.

1. We must be able to run the ball effectively. It'll take pressure off the Maurer.

2. If BM turns the ball over, he has to remain calm and keep his confidence.

3. We need to get turnovers and then capitalize on them.

He threw both of those in the first half and was pretty inaccurate on a lot of throws. It's hard to analyze because it's #3 UGA and a freshman with his first start.We can beat MSU by a few things in conjunction.

1. We must be able to run the ball effectively. It'll take pressure off the Maurer.

2. If BM turns the ball over, he has to remain calm and keep his confidence.

3. We need to get turnovers and then capitalize on them.
If we suddenly start calling runs, I believe our -O- will run out of gas, and Maurer will suffer from lack of protection (remember UGA) when he tries to throw, by 2nd quarter. With a brand new QB, God bless him, now is not the time to change up a lot of plays, Maurer can pick up on it(but not all the guys can), if our RBs are even a little confused-I'd look for a lot of loose balls. Stick with what works well with Maurer, and what the coaches know he can do well.

Last edited:
That’s the new mantra around here......didn’t you get the memo?

“Tennessee was actually leading Georgia at one point.”

“Tennessee was only down 15 points for much of the second half.”

Wow......Tennessee and us fans have fallen hard. Seems strange just 3 years ago Tennessee was ranked in the top 10.
It's very disheartening that so many fans have accepted moral victories no matter how small or insignificant.

Reactions: JoAllan
How have I done the opposite?
Well, you pretty much said that people weren't giving MSU credit... that they also haven't earned.

I said MSU scores 30 per game......which they do.

I said MSU has a good run game......which they do.

Not sure how that is giving MSU credit, where it is t earned......they do that, so it is certainly earned.
You accentuated what a bad team does well just like you accused others of doing in favor of UT. This looks like a battle between a young team that hasn't shown it has a direction and an old team that just isn't all that good. Both are looking for answers. Both are worthy of criticism.

Tennessee had some good passing, for one quarter vs a great team. I have said Tennessee hasn’t shown they can do that consistently.......that is exactly where the “credit” is not earned......YET.

Hopefully this all changes.
Didn't say you were wrong for saying UT hasn't earned it... I'm saying you are wrong for spinning around and pretending like MSU has.

I have no idea what the line is, but I would not bet against MSU here.

In the SEC, it starts with the OL and DL. .
UT is 11th in rushing D. MSU is 10th. UT allows 4.08 ypc. MSU allows 4.57.

MSU has better run stats than UT. UT allows a sack for every 12.3 attempts. MSU allows a sack every 11.5 attempts.

UT has played the numbers 1 and 4 rushing D's in the SEC. MSU has played numbers 6 and 13. UT has played the numbers 1 and 4 sack D's in the SEC. MSU has played numbers 2 and 7.

Really still looks like two pretty evenly matched teams.

Miss St isnt very good.
UT is bad but played incredibly better against Ga.
It's at home.
There's definitely a chance, however it's not a great one.
Thinking UT will win is definitely wearing orange shades. Thinking Miss St will win big is wearing Maroon shades. This is a huge game for UT. Maybe they actually put together 4 Qs against an average State, but doubtful.

It's possible, but we'll find a way to lose. We still don't know how to win.

Thank you for just wanting to talk football instead of joining the other 100 posts on Vol bashing!

Yes they have a good chance!

UT is 11th in rushing D. MSU is 10th. UT allows 4.08 ypc. MSU allows 4.57.

MSU has better run stats than UT. UT allows a sack for every 12.3 attempts. MSU allows a sack every 11.5 attempts.

UT has played the numbers 1 and 4 rushing D's in the SEC. MSU has played numbers 6 and 13. UT has played the numbers 1 and 4 sack D's in the SEC. MSU has played numbers 2 and 7.

Really still looks like two pretty evenly matched teams.

I know this is a somewhat different team with BM at the helm, but two words keep coming back to me...

Georgia State.

But Go Vols.

K. Hill averages 5.5 yards per carry and 3.8 per carry agin SEC teams
had-
045 yards vs Auburn
120 agi UK
111 agi K state
123 agi southern Miss
197 agin Laffayette
WHat is our run d allowing against SEC teams? He’s a solid back and they out size us on both lines. By the way, in case you haven’t noticed, we aren’t really playing SEC level football

WHat is our run d allowing against SEC teams? He’s a solid back and they out size us on both lines. By the way, in case you haven’t noticed, we aren’t really playing SEC level football

You are correct the Auburn D brought average yard per carry down. We will play closer to the D that UK brought against MSU.

VN Store

Back