We Actually Have John Currie To Thank...

Never understood how Davenport got the job. I felt uncomfortable listening her press conferences as she appeared nervous and/or lacked public speaking skills for someone for that position. She was definitely a stretch hire for our university.

Davenport fell on the sword for the entire football program saying without saying fk the Haslams

Fulmer carried the torch after her dismissal.

John Currie is a higher level snake oil salesmen
She didn’t fall on any sword, she was part of the Haslam cabal that brought Currie in to be AD in the first place. She was a Haslam mouthpiece and when her boy Currie failed, when he went rogue she had no choice but to fire him and, very reluctantly, bring Fulmer in. Fortunately for Tennessee, she was soon after shown the door as well.

Reactions: Smokey X and Remy
Never understood how Davenport got the job. I felt uncomfortable listening her press conferences as she appeared nervous and/or lacked public speaking skills for someone for that position. She was definitely a stretch hire for our university.
Agree wholeheartedly. She was incompetent while also being condescending ..... bad combo. Just an awful hire.

...for all of our recent wins!

Think about it, if he doesn't epically muck up that whole coaching hire we don't bring back Fulmer and hire Pruitt.

We probably would've had to settle for some C level coach who only had possible head coaching experience going for them, like that dude from North Carolina State or Leach

I mean it's not like Pruitt was at the top of our list, or anybody else's list, at the time.

So thanks for failing at your job John!
3ogmaPGsQOruw.gif

He made us a national laughingstock. Why would thank him for anything? If he hadn’t been removed we’d have had leach as our coach. And while leach has proven to be an excellent offensive coach he definitely wasn’t the guy for the type of scrutiny and patience that this rebuild requires. He also won’t prove to be that great of a recruiter I believe. I do think leach will do well at ms state. They are going to have to settle for mostly 3 star/lower tier in state and regional kids. But he’ll get the most out of them. TN is a program that with the right leadership in place...can get into that top 10-5 recruiting class range. Hopefully we’re on our way

Think about it, if he doesn't epically muck up that whole coaching hire we don't bring back Fulmer and hire Pruitt.

We probably would've had to settle for some C level coach who only had possible head coaching experience going for them, like that dude from North Carolina State or Leach

I mean it's not like Pruitt was at the top of our list, or anybody else's list, at the time.

Oh my... you went way back. I forgot about Dave Doeren's name popping up. That name was hot for about 12 hours or so.

Or one could say, to some extent, Beverly Davenport fell on her sword. She fired Currie, hired Fulmer and told Haslam et al to sit down (sorta).

He made us a national laughingstock. Why would thank him for anything? If he hadn’t been removed we’d have had leach as our coach. And while leach has proven to be an excellent offensive coach he definitely wasn’t the guy for the type of scrutiny and patience that this rebuild requires. He also won’t prove to be that great of a recruiter I believe. I do think leach will do well at ms state. They are going to have to settle for mostly 3 star/lower tier in state and regional kids. But he’ll get the most out of them. TN is a program that with the right leadership in place...can get into that top 10-5 recruiting class range. Hopefully we’re on our way

So Leach is an exlcellent offensive coach and can find diamonds in the rough... and coah them up. And that's a bad thing?

I would have had no problem at all if Leach had become the head coach. He's not a "C list" coach. Take a look at what Texas Tech and Wazzu were before he took over. The only concern I'd have is that he'd never been a head coach in the SEC, and he doesn't have a reputation as a good recruiter; he coaches up most of his stars. Still, after years of seeing guys regress in the UT program, seeing them actually coached up would have been a refreshing change. He's going to win his share in Starkville.

But Currie was a moron who was going to F up the whole athletic program and had to go, even if it meant we didn't get Leach. When Fulmer got the AD job and was in charge of the search, I figured we'd get a good coach who knew how to win games in the SEC.

Last edited:
So Leach is an exlcellent offensive coach and can find diamonds in the rough... and coah them up. And that's a bad thing?

Just saying that leach has a very quirky personality and that would probably have been an issue here. Tennessee is a higher profile job than ms state. And I don’t think he’d ever recruit to the level here that we’d need to get back to the top of the east. I think he’s an excellent coach and will do pretty well wherever he goes. But just feels like pruitt is a better fit here and leach is a better fit at ms state.

John Currie sucks. He sucked before he got here, he sucked while here and he sucks still today. After the fiascos of Hamilton and Hart one would have thought the powers that be could have and would have done better, but no they had to go for the trifecta of suckdom ! Thank goodness somebody finally came to their senses before he could place us in another decades worth of misery.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Hiring the San Francisco man hater, bugger picking Jimmy Cheek, and slick shoe salesman Hamilton greased the skids downward for athletics. These people had zero interest in winning championships. Currie, Davenport and Jones were just extensions of the incompetence in the administration. Fulmer warned about not getting administration support during his demise and I took it as his excuse for losing. But his words make more sense looking back and our present athletic progress. We have had to endure Butch, Donnie, Konzo, Holly and other losers during this period. I hope we are in for better times.

Spot on. As a much younger man I didn’t understand the importance of leadership. There was a massive void In our athletic leadership post-Dickey for a long, long time.

Reactions: Smokey X
It’s going to be interesting to see what happens with what’s his 🥜 at Rutgers. I can’t fathom him ever doing well and when he stinks up the joint the UT Fanbase is going to look EVEN smarter.

I’ll never forget that 36 hours when he was almost hired. As a Yankee finally people were talking about UT up here and many thought we were a crazy fanbase and almost everyone didn’t have all the info. Every SINGLE knowledgeable football fan that I explained everything to changed their tune from “that fanbase is crazy” to “that fanbase is beyond epic.”

VN Store

Back