WBB and the NIL

Your being naive if you think Coach Harper pulled in every one of those transfers without help from Spyre.
You are B/S if you assume to know that as a fact. Why defame, without a source? Did you grow up on tabloid journalism? You have no idea of what you speak. Any of these ladies could have gone to universities that a degree would mean millions more than 5 yrs in the WNBA

You are B/S if you assume to know that as a fact. Why defame, without a source? Did you grow up on tabloid journalism? You have no idea of what you speak. Any of these ladies could have gone to universities that a degree would mean millions more than 5 yrs in the WNBA

Did I say it as fact? How/Who am I defaming? šŸ¤”

It's common sense! If I'm not mistaken CKJH said that NIL is one of the top questions recruits/transfers ask about. It's the same reason CJH & the football team got Nico and are currently in on 4 or 5 more (5ā­) players.

Then why didn't they transfer to Vandy, Duke, Harvard or Yale? They came to Tennessee to win SEC & National Championships and cash in on NIL before going to the next level.

Reactions: lfvol and mcannon1
You obviously don't know the financial situation of female athletics. Which explains your ignorance

Oh, okay, that's a weirdly hostile response, but okay. That's fine I guess. I suppose I can play along.

What do I know? Hmmm, what do I know. Let's see. I know that the Lady Vols, while a valuable brand, operate at a loss, which is not unusual and not a condemnation or a judgment of the Lady Vols. A lot of factors go into that, but the reality is that operating women's basketball tends to cost more than it brings in. Even might UConn hasn't operated in the black in ages, for example; they usually end up costing their school 4-5 million a year. Geno's expensive! Well, and the sport is expensive. I even recall reading an article about Louisville's women running up the red ink, even though they're also a basketball program in a basketball-focused region. Sobering to think about, sort of.

Anyway, Tennessee usually brings in somewhere between 3.5-5 million a year, and incurs costs around 5 to 7 million. The costs have been closer to 7 in most recent years. About a million to 1.5 million of Lady Vol revenue is ticket sales. The decline in attendance has dampened that budget line, but here's hoping next year revives it a bit. Then you get donations and contributions, media rights, some other revenue sharing stuff, and that gets you most of the revenue total. And again, if we look at our dear friends in the frigid north, they aren't that different. 1-2 million in ticket sales, around 4-4.5 million in revenue, but their costs are equally high. I think the last I read, they ran about 8 million in expenses a year. Goodness. They need to get them some football TV money. Or more Big East basketball TV money, whichever. Point of all this is, the total monies you find in these programs hover in the single millions per year. That's our fiscal ballpark.

Now, I don't know what your beef with me is, but I'll revisit my statement to say that it is my opinion that, in a sport where there is this sort of revenue and expense framework, a modest level of uniform investment could yield immediate and significant results. Take for example, the Oklahoma group which is coughing up 50k per player for football, but also said it was looking to provide assistance to every member of Oklahoma athletics. That's a nice idea. Let's say you do the same, scaled but reasonable, for a women's basketball program. I would imagine a collective group could source the funds to distribute a solid payout to 15 women's college basketball players easily enough, yeah? Well, given that, and the current NIL climate, it is my opinion that a deal in that spirit could radically and quickly tilt the playing field in women's basketball, at least until the field caught up. If it even did. The investment in this sport is not uniform across all schools.

And don't get me wrong either. If I was some kind of secret lottery winner, I'dve already set up my very own Spyre and be tossing contracts left and right. "What am I endorsing?" "I don't know ... uh ... socks?" "Wait socks?" " ... yeah. Socks." "What kind of socks?" "Orange socks." "Do they say Lady Vols?" "Sure, why not?"

So going back to what CagleMtnVol said, if Spyre had some hand in helping players find their way to Tennessee, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. And hey, maybe they did, maybe they didn't. A tip of the hat to them if they did. It shows they're all in for Tennessee. And it wouldn't surprise me if Spyre had, though, because I think it can and will be done - and it wouldn't take Scrooge McDuck's money bin to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcannon1

Why is it defaming if a player came here because of a NIL deal on top of a scholarship??
I donā€™t have any insider knowledge but last summer SPYRE stated they would be making NIL deals with both women and men athletes. One of their donor packages was called the Pat Summitt donor or something like that.
I think with the way NIL is currently set up, most top athletes in the major sports programs will be getting a NIL deal. And it is reasonable for a prospect/transfer to know what they can get if they go to a certain school.

Why is it defaming if a player came here because of a NIL deal on top of a scholarship??
I donā€™t have any insider knowledge but last summer SPYRE stated they would be making NIL deals with both women and men athletes. One of their donor packages was called the Pat Summitt donor or something like that.
I think with the way NIL is currently set up, most top athletes in the major sports programs will be getting a NIL deal. And it is reasonable for a prospect/transfer to know what they can get if they go to a certain school.

I liked the idea of NIL for players at a University to be able to tap into some of the success the individual has brought to the teamā€™s success. Setting up contracts specific to recruits who have done 0 for the program is a bridge too far for me. Itā€™s like the old NFL rookie contracts where the QBs would get Billions and the old veteran QB on the team is only making a million.

Reactions: Raebo

VN Store

Back