Way too early preseason USA top 25

Thanks for participating I guess. No one doubts UGA has talent. What I asked about was a series of variables and unknowns. It takes time to build and develop an offense. And in all likelihood UGAs Oline will feature 2 true freshman and a redshirt freshman in a system they were not recruited for. The rest are in a new system, with a new O system playing for an Oline coach that utilizes a zone blocking system (Pittman taught and recruited for Man blocking schemes that favored size/mass over finesse and speed).
And that's only a few Oline questions.

The previous post compares our oline to tenns(not what I was trying to do just didn't feel like typing out our linemen) at wr we have dom (should be back from injury) we will mainly be relying on younger wr which could present an issue just don't think it will. Rb we have Zeus, Kmac, Cook and the two new recruits.. Should be fine there with a committee approach. Not sure 100% but I believe the line was running the new zone scheme in the sugar Bowl and looked good doing it. Even if not with the players we had on the line last year it didn't meet anyone's expectations so change may have been needed. Newman and Monken are for sure unknowns at this point and I definitely have my concerns there but I think they will workout good enough for us to at least take the east again. That's why I say #5-#6 seems more likely for uga this season until we know exactly what we have.
Blaylock will be back to 100% next year, not this year. An WR ACL is a nine month rehab and they return to form in year 2 if at all.

Thanks for participating I guess. No one doubts UGA has talent. What I asked about was a series of variables and unknowns. It takes time to build and develop an offense. And in all likelihood UGAs Oline will feature 2 true freshman and a redshirt freshman in a system they were not recruited for. The rest are in a new system, with a new O system playing for an Oline coach that utilizes a zone blocking system (Pittman taught and recruited for Man blocking schemes that favored size/mass over finesse and speed).
And that's only a few Oline questions.
I don't believe we see two true freshman on the line. I think it will be RT-Salyer, RG-Cleveland, C-Webb, LG-Hill, LT-Unknown possibly the only spot for true freshman. The good thing about them is they are all very athletic and likely could drop a little of the mass they built for pittmans scheme and have more quickness for Luke's system. And you are correct on Dom. I don't think he will be 100% this season but even an 80% Dom is skilled enough to be a good #2 wr in the sec. You make a lot of good points and I appreciate the dialogue.

I don't believe we see two true freshman on the line. I think it will be RT-Salyer, RG-Cleveland, C-Webb, LG-Hill, LT-Unknown possibly the only spot for true freshman. The good thing about them is they are all very athletic and likely could drop a little of the mass they built for pittmans scheme and have more quickness for Luke's system. And you are correct on Dom. I don't think he will be 100% this season but even an 80% Dom is skilled enough to be a good #2 wr in the sec. You make a lot of good points and I appreciate the dialogue.
There's obviously the chance that UGA catches lightning in the bottle, like LSU this year, w/ all their wholesale changes in personnel on offense...but, sometimes what you see on paper also just doesn't translate......everyone had Cleveland Browns in the running for the new America's Team at the start of last season...

I look at it that UGA still at top of east, as Bama/LSU at top of West, but the delta in 2020 initially appears to have lessened over UF, Aub, TaM, UT, which is where 2020 may turn out to be a crazy season.

There's no need to try again, no matter what he says you're gonna shoot it down. You disagree.

I wouldn't have been surprised if we snuck in somewhere between 22 and 25 because of our finish and maybe some other teams dropping out for whatever reasons, whether we deserved it or not, that happens ever year.

I'm not surprised we're not either.
Well we barely beat kentucky, barely beat Missouri and we struggled with Vandy... Seems like we didn't do anything worthy of top 25 last season. Let's not forget the beatings we took against Florida and Georgia and Bama. Also the embarrassing losses against Ga St and BYU... but hey beating the mocs, USC and the blazers handedly seems to make us think we are definitely a top 25 team now.

Reactions: Dawgoutofwater
Well we barely beat kentucky, barely beat Missouri and we struggled with Vandy... Seems like we didn't do anything worthy of top 25 last season. Let's not forget the beatings we took against Florida and Georgia and Bama. Also the embarrassing losses against Ga St and BYU... but hey beating the mocs, USC and the blazers handedly seems to make us think we are definitely a top 25 team now.

Yeah that's another one that hurts a lot of feelings if you point out we haven't really beaten anyone of consequence and don't truly deserve a pre-season top 25 ranking. It's a recipe for disappointment. How many times in the Butch Jones era have we been a paper tiger pre-season top 25 only to end up embarrassed? Nothing's really changed until we beat some of these teams ahead of us that we are not supposed and no boneheaded losses to teams we should always beat.

Yeah that's another one that hurts a lot of feelings if you point out we haven't really beaten anyone of consequence and don't truly deserve a pre-season top 25 ranking. It's a recipe for disappointment. How many times in the Butch Jones era have we been a paper tiger pre-season top 25 only to end up embarrassed? Nothing's really changed until we beat some of these teams ahead of us that we are not supposed and no boneheaded losses to teams we should always beat.
Facts 💯💪

LSU lost a lot of talent. Too high
Ga has a lot of talent too low
Clemson gets an automatic playoff bye every year regardless of talent.
Every poll has to have Ohio State near the top or their fans get their buckeye panties knotted up.
Georgia’s performance will depend completely on the new Qb. They can be top 5 or slip all the way down to 20th.

Same with men's and women's basketball
both are struggling now.

Can anyone make a valid argument as to why we should be top 25? Cause there isn't any good arguments to be made from last season.

Much as I love my Vols, I don't think a valid argument can be made for a top 25 ranking right now. What I see on VN is a collection of fans desperately clawing for something, anything to feel good about our team. Anything to allay the long winter of our discontent. Until that changes, well, the labor of ascension continues.

We are climbing the SEC ladder;
Slowly climbing higher and higher.
Soldiers of the Power T.

Reactions: chrismc1000
The previous post compares our oline to tenns(not what I was trying to do just didn't feel like typing out our linemen) at wr we have dom (should be back from injury) we will mainly be relying on younger wr which could present an issue just don't think it will. Rb we have Zeus, Kmac, Cook and the two new recruits.. Should be fine there with a committee approach. Not sure 100% but I believe the line was running the new zone scheme in the sugar Bowl and looked good doing it. Even if not with the players we had on the line last year it didn't meet anyone's expectations so change may have been needed. Newman and Monken are for sure unknowns at this point and I definitely have my concerns there but I think they will workout good enough for us to at least take the east again. That's why I say #5-#6 seems more likely for uga this season until we know exactly what we have.

Not to be snide or anything. You don't have to type out the names of your OL and "seem" be comparing UT & UGA lines. Which I think was intentional but then, I'm a skeptic by nature. Assuming you use the Windows OS, it has a little known tool called a "snipping tool." Just enter that term into the START bar and it pops up. I'm not a MAC user but know it has a snipping tool as well. I THINK you employ these keys to access it. ⇧⌘5 Below is a demo.

1582028184839.png

Last edited:
Yea let's look at those games and see that we barely won them aside from USC... Try again?
Does the loss count any less? Do you get a half win if you score only one point more than the other team? To quote yourself “try again”. CPF made a career out of finishing strong against a suspect back half of the schedule.

Spencer Rattler and Jalen Hurts are very different QB'styles. Rattler can be compared more to a slightly faster Mayfield. The Sooner O will look more like the OU we had under Mayfield and Murray. Rattler has a swagger like Mayfield and an accurate cannon for an arm. The O we return including all 5 O-linemen, all top running backs, and incredible receiver depth including 3 5-star WR's who all played as true freshmen. We lose CeeDee Lamb and Hurts but that'should about it. We lose 3 quality starters from a much improved D and our best D-lineman will probably miss the VOL game due to suspension. We get some key people back on D who were lost to injury in 2019. D should be improved but still a work in progress.

Does the loss count any less? Do you get a half win if you score only one point more than the other team? To quote yourself “try again”. CPF made a career out of finishing strong against a suspect back half of the schedule.
Struggling wins against **** teams doesn't mean your top 25 in the country lol

How many times in the Butch Jones era have we been a paper tiger pre-season top 25 only to end up embarrassed?
Once.
2013 -UR/UR
2014 - UR/UR
2015 - 25/22
2016 - 9/22
2017 - 25/UR
2016 was the only season under Jones in which we were the division favorite, and we wet the bed. We exceeded expectations in 2014 and 2015. 2015 looks like a disappointment because we were so close in our losses, but few analysts picked us to do anything noteworthy. 2017 was a disaster, but we began 2017 ranked 25. No one outside of our own fanbase expected us to contend for anything. Arguing that Tennessee hasn't really earned a spot in the top 25 isn't unreasonable. Our resume isn't that impressive. However, I think our resume is at least comparable to, if not better than, six or seven teams that are ranked here.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
Not to be snide or anything. You don't have to type out the names of your OL and "seem" be comparing UT & UGA lines. Which I think was intentional but then, I'm a skeptic by nature. Assuming you use the Windows OS, it has a little known tool called a "snipping tool." Just enter that term into the START bar and it pops up. I'm not a MAC user but know it has a snipping tool as well. I THINK you employ these keys to access it. ⇧⌘5 Below is a demo.

View attachment 262177
I was on my phone.. Could have cropped it I guess. The picture was posted on dawgnation and I just screen shotted it and posted it here. Like many I have no idea who our starting 5 will actually be but we have the players to ensure it should be top 3 in the league at least. That's the one spot on offense I'm not worried about. None the less uga and Tenn both will have fantastic olines.

I was on my phone.. Could have cropped it I guess. The picture was posted on dawgnation and I just screen shotted it and posted it here. Like many I have no idea who our starting 5 will actually be but we have the players to ensure it should be top 3 in the league at least. That's the one spot on offense I'm not worried about. None the less uga and Tenn both will have fantastic olines.
Talent alone will only get you so far. Scheme, coach, experience do matter. Middle of the pack this year is more realistic.

Sure and like I said, not trying to be snide. I think the SECe will be more competitive in the 2020 season. Watch out for KY, they're going to surprise some folks. BUT I think the real race will be the lizard people and two kennels.

Highly doubt it. They have great skill players on offense and an actual good OC now. UGA will steam roll the East.
What impressed you the most about Monkens ability as a play caller? 2018 in Tampa or 1998 at eastern Michigan? He was hired after both seasons. Because that his resume as an OC without a HC calling plays for him.

And they have 1 WR, that's a known as far as skill position guys. I bet he gets doubled this year.

VN Store

Back