Way To Early Guess at Pre-Season Ranking

white65

With everyone we bring back and the recruiting class coming in I see us between 15 to 20 to start the season.

Starting 5 to start the season:

PG: Santiago Vescovi
SG: Jaden Springer
SF: Keon Johnson
PF1: Yves Pons
PF2: John Fulkerson

This line up puts the most talent on the floor, and Pons plays better as a 4th guard/SF who can guard the average PF.

If we go with a most traditional line up then Pons moves to SF and Keon Johnson is the first one off the bench. I'm high on Olivier Nkamhoua he was a beast, all he needs is some more time under Barnes to be a poor mans Grant Williams.

We need atleast two other bigs besides Fulky to step up and we'll have a team that can win it all.

With everyone we bring back and the recruiting class coming in I see us between 15 to 20 to start the season.

Starting 5 to start the season:

PG: Santiago Vescovi
SG: Jaden Springer
SF: Keon Johnson
PF1: Yves Pons
PF2: John Fulkerson

This line up puts the most talent on the floor, and Pons plays better as a 4th guard/SF who can guard the average PF.

If we go with a most traditional line up then Pons moves to SF and Keon Johnson is the first one off the bench. I'm high on Olivier Nkamhoua he was a beast, all he needs is some more time under Barnes to be a poor mans Grant Williams.

We need atleast two other bigs besides Fulky to step up and we'll have a team that can win it all.
Your post is solid, but the comment on Nkamhoua makes me wonder if you were even watching this year. Every time he was on the court I cringed. I realize he was a freshman and a project player, but personally I really hope he isn’t asked to contribute as much next season.

Your post is solid, but the comment on Nkamhoua makes me wonder if you were even watching this year. Every time he was on the court I cringed. I realize he was a freshman and a project player, but personally I really hope he isn’t asked to contribute as much next season.

I agree, I did too but I did see the talent there. I'm hope for a big improvement from him.

This year it was Pons and Fulky. Next year I think it will be Nkamhoua.

I remember cringing every time Fulky or Pons had the ball two years ago.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I've beat that dead horse enough, so I didn't want to bring it up, but since you broke the ice, I will say that the OP's comment was curious. I can agree that perhaps with this staff's ability to develop and coax talent out of kids, that he could prove effective down the road, though I really doubt he's putting up Pons or Fulk production next year. However, that is a long ways off to be calling him a "beast", right now.

I've beat that dead horse enough, so I didn't want to bring it up, but since you broke the ice, I will say that the OP's comment was curious. I can agree that perhaps with this staff's ability to develop and coax talent out of kids, that he could prove effective down the road, though I really doubt he's putting up Pons or Fulk production next year. However, that is a long ways off to be calling him a "beast", right now.
He seems to how real trouble understanding where he is on the floor and has trouble “feeling” where the defense is. I know that’s oversimplified but hopefully it makes sense. I do think in time he can develop into a more dependable option. He’s definitely big and powerful.

He seems to how real trouble understanding where he is on the floor and has trouble “feeling” where the defense is. I know that’s oversimplified but hopefully it makes sense. I do think in time he can develop into a more dependable option. He’s definitely big and powerful.
I agree. He seemed very lost, and the speed of the college game seemed way too fast for him, at times.

Reactions: tennrich1
You better hope and pray you’re wrong, because they are woefully thin in the post. Think about this, Fulk was in the same recruiting class as Grant Williams. Had he not been injured and redshirted he would also be gone. Barnes has had four years to recruit quality post players and he’s having to rely on transfers who aren’t any good. Yes, we have some good prospects joining the team, but still no definitive post presence.

You better hope and pray you’re wrong, because they are woefully thin in the post. Think about this, Fulk was in the same recruiting class as Grant Williams. Had he not been injured and redshirted he would also be gone. Barnes has had four years to recruit quality post players and he’s having to rely on transfers who aren’t any good. Yes, we have some good prospects joining the team, but still no definitive post presence.
Why would I hope I’m wrong? and we see him more? Do you really want to see him play more minutes? Nope, I hope I’m right and we upgrade talent to where I only see him in mop up.

Would love to see JJJ continue to make strides next season. Hope Springer and Johnson are as good as advertised.

What about Bailey? I thought he might be a starter since he already has proven NCAA experience then there is Anosike if he comes here will definitely play a big role.

What about Bailey? I thought he might be a starter since he already has proven NCAA experience then there is Anosike if he comes here will definitely play a big role.

I think that Bailey is a starter on Day 1 with Springer/JJJ (and SC, maybe even KJ) pushing him for time at PG. Same for Vescovi. My way to early starting projection has SV at the 2 with EVERYBODY (Springer, Keon, Bailey, James) pushing for playing time at that spot.

Day 1:
Bailey
Vescovi
JJJ
Pons
Fulkerson

If Springer can't be kept out of the rotation, I think that SV will be the 6th man. KJ will be the defensive "6th man".

Reactions: Volfan2012
I’ll make a friendly wager with you that barring injury Vescovi is the starting PG in the first game next season

I’ll make a friendly wager with you that barring injury Vescovi is the starting PG in the first game next season

IMO Bailey/Vescovi will be kind of a pair of combo 1/2s. Once either brings the ball across midcourt I think that SV will spot up more on a wing than out top (when there isn't endless motion).

VN Store

Back