Watchmen on HBO

That finale was awesome. Got all the answers I needed. Two gripes because I can't help myself.

Trieu didn't anticipate Abar being there, which they pointed out, so I'm thinking somehow that's going to be the foil to Trieu's plan (after all, this is a story where the two main protagonists are women). Nope. Abar had nothing to do with it, even though when they were killing Manhattan she could have just walked over there and kicked her ass and stopped everything. There was literally nothing and nobody to stop her. Instead, she just cried as she watched Manhattan die.

One movie/TV trope that drives me insane is when somebody gets a warning just in the nick of time, but doesn't act on it, and ends up fine. Abar gets the call from Spectre to get cover from the frozen squids and she's literally the last person there to react.

Wasn’t there some Triue henchmen around? The ones that used the magnets to capture the Kavalry’s guns.

Overall I thought it was a good wrap-up of the season’s storylines. I do think Looking Glass and Laurie were built up too much to just be onlookers in the end.

I knew they were going to cut to credits when they did.

Wasn’t there some Triue henchmen around? The ones that used the magnets to capture the Kavalry’s guns.

Overall I thought it was a good wrap-up of the season’s storylines. I do think Looking Glass and Laurie were built up too much to just be onlookers in the end.

I knew they were going to cut to credits when they did.
yep.

Reactions: JP_UT_O&W
Finally got around to watching this. Really good.
The converging plot lines are well done. Could do without the dangling meat.

It was an interesting show, but I'd think they would want a series where you didn't need to know years of history/characters to understand what's going on.

It'd be like starting the Harry Potter movie series on Order of the Phoenix having no idea about any of the previous story/characters.

It was an interesting show, but I'd think they would want a series where you didn't need to know years of history/characters to understand what's going on.

It'd be like starting the Harry Potter movie series on Order of the Phoenix having no idea about any of the previous story/characters.

Yeah, kinda like that except you can watch the movie and get 90% of the back story that you need. You can read the graphic novel in a day, easy, and get 100% of the back story.

It didn't get canceled, the reason it's not coming back is the creator doesn't want to do it.

Reactions: GreatWhiteNorth
Yeah, kinda like that except you can watch the movie and get 90% of the back story that you need. You can read the graphic novel in a day, easy, and get 100% of the back story.

It didn't get canceled, the reason it's not coming back is the creator doesn't want to do it.
You could. I saw the movie years ago and I read up on a recap someone here posted I think.

But a lot of folks may not go to that trouble or even realize they need to. Just seems like it would be limited to a smaller market of fans.

You could. I saw the movie years ago and I read up on a recap someone here posted I think.

But a lot of folks may not go to that trouble or even realize they need to. Just seems like it would be limited to a smaller market of fans.

Niche is where it's at with streaming. I would guess that 90% of semi-serious comic fans who are adults had HBO at least long enough to watch that series.

Look at what ESPN did with ESPN+. It's pretty much just niche sports, Peyton's show, and 30 for 30's.

All that being said, they could have given some back story. They missed an opportunity to give the audience a cool 10-minute recap.

Niche is where it's at with streaming. I would guess that 90% of semi-serious comic fans who are adults had HBO at least long enough to watch that series.

Look at what ESPN did with ESPN+. It's pretty much just niche sports, Peyton's show, and 30 for 30's.

All that being said, they could have given some back story. They missed an opportunity to give the audience a cool 10-minute recap.

Lori gave a recap of sorts in her joke.

While I think knowing the graphic novel was crucial to understanding many of elements the show explored, there isn’t decades of material to cover. It was one 12 issue maxi-series that has been published as a single graphic novel for 30 years. The characters never appeared in anything else (unless you count the Before Watchmen series from 2012 but those are not important to the main story at all).

Just finished this up tonight. Thought it was pretty good. Enjoyed getting some backstory.

VN Store

Back