Watchmen on HBO

I think the Ozymandias character is the only actual character from the original graphic novels.
Rorschach seems to be an ideology kinda like V in V for Vendetta became at the end (sorry for the spoilers).

So far is pretty gnarly. Westworld is fun..True Detective season 1 is one of the best television shows of all time.

Watch Barry and Vice Principals.

A show that only lasted for 1 season that I thought was hilarious was The Brink with Tim Robins and Jack Black. I thought it could’ve gone for another season or 2.

Try Deadwood

A slow starter but became one of my favorites. Al Swearengen is a Top 10 character for me. Calamity Jane was hilarious. Most gratuitous use of the words C@cks@cker and MFr in any show in history.

Pumped for the reboot

A slow starter but became one of my favorites. Al Swearengen is a Top 10 character for me. Calamity Jane was hilarious. Most gratuitous use of the words C@cks@cker and MFr in any show in history.

Pumped for the reboot

Top 5. You hate him so much you want him to die by episode 2, and then by episode 4 you can't imagine a show without him.

And Calamity Jane might be the most impressive performance on the show. That actress was amazing and has somehow never really done anything else noteworthy.

I enjoyed the movie, don't know what it is about the show that isn't pulling me in.

Pumped for the reboot

Reboot? You mean the movie?

What is up with this cast? Don Johnson and Cuba's wife from Jerry Maguire...way to bring out the big guns.

"The show's creator, Damon Lindelof, has been defending his credentials as a showrunner and every little decision for years against a passionate fanbase that takes comic books—but Watchmen in particular—very seriously. Moore, the original creator, has disavowed the HBO show. Lindelof has literally told Moore to **** off. "

Watchmen Season 1 Episode 1 Recap - HBO's Watchmen Review

No, didn't know there was a movie.

I really like the movie but it's not for everybody. Here is a high-level summary, for the purposes of understanding this show, if you want it:

The entire point of the story is the old latin proverbial question, who watches the watchmen? or who guards the guards themselves?

It's about this old guard of superheros transitioning to an era where vigilante justice is totally outlawed and they can't fight crime. Nobody really quite has super human powers, except Ozymandius is just quicker and smarter than everybody and then Dr. Manhattan became godlike because of a nuclear accident.

Somebody starts offing superheros and Rorschach and Night Owl start investigating. Ultimately, they discover that one of their own, Ozymandius (the now old guy who was celebrating his birthday in the series premiere) is the one doing the killing. Because it's set in the cold war (it's 1985 and Nixon is still POTUS, they did away with term limits), he had this bizarre idea that if he could nuke NY, blame it on Dr. Manhattan, he could make the east and west unite against Dr. Manhattan, thus saving the world from total nuclear annihilation. Dr. Manhattan was fine with the plan and now lives on Mars by himself (which they showed in the premiere he's still there). The movie ends with them failing to stop Ozymandius and he kills Rorschach to protect the secret. But Rorschach had already mailed the story to a newspaper.

So now in the show it's 2019, I believe the raining squids are going to be a consequence of Ozymandius' plan. Redford as POTUS is referring to Robert Redford, who the original story mentions is running. The Kavalry adopted Rorschach as their symbol but he was a good guy and they are bastardizing what he was about. Rorschach's story probably wasn't generally accepted as the truth, it's probably only believed by this conspiracy theory group of white supremacists. So in theme with the original movie/story, it looks like Nash Bridges was killed because he was a failure to his post. I believe we'll find out he's really dirty.

It's kind of a funny thing because on the one hand, the Qanon type group is made racist but on the other hand, it's also the side with the truth on this pivotal historical event.

Last edited:
I really like the movie but it's not for everybody. Here is a high-level summary, for the purposes of understanding this show, if you want it:

The entire point of the story is the old latin proverbial question, who watches the watchmen? or who guards the guards themselves?

It's about this old guard of superheros transitioning to an era where vigilante justice is totally outlawed and they can't fight crime. Nobody really quite has super human powers, except Ozymandius is just quicker and smarter than everybody and then Dr. Manhattan became godlike because of a nuclear accident.

Somebody starts offing superheros and Rorschach and Night Owl start investigating. Ultimately, they discover that one of their own, Ozymandius (the now old guy who was celebrating his birthday in the series premiere) is the one doing the killing. Because it's set in the cold war (it's 1985 and Nixon is still POTUS, they did away with term limits), he had this bizarre idea that if he could nuke NY, blame it on Dr. Manhattan, he could make the east and west unite against Dr. Manhattan, thus saving the world from total nuclear annihilation. Dr. Manhattan was fine with the plan and now lives on Mars by himself (which they showed in the premiere he's still there). The movie ends with them failing to stop Ozymandius and he kills Rorschach to protect the secret. But Rorschach had already mailed the story to a newspaper.

So now in the show it's 2019, I believe the raining squids are going to be a consequence of Ozymandius' plan. Redford as POTUS is referring to Robert Redford, who the original story mentions is running. The Kavalry adopted Rorschach as their symbol but he was a good guy and they are bastardizing what he was about. Rorschach's story probably wasn't generally accepted as the truth, it's probably only believed by this conspiracy theory group of white supremacists. So in theme with the original movie/story, it looks like Nash Bridges was killed because he was a failure to his post. I believe we'll find out he's really dirty.

It's kind of a funny thing because on the one hand, the Qanon type group is made racist but on the other hand, it's also the side with the truth on this pivotal historical event.

While the movie was 90% faithful to the book, it changed the ending. Ozymandias created an “inter dimensional threat” to attempt to unite all the world powers to prepare for one common enemy. The threat was a gigantic squid monster in NY. The movie went a different direction with the framing of Dr Manhattan. The raining quid is clearly a direct result of the Squid Monster. Whether the rain is intended or not remains to be seen.

This is more of a sequel to the book which took place

While the movie was 90% faithful to the book, it changed the ending. Ozymandias created an “inter dimensional threat” to attempt to unite all the world powers to prepare for one common enemy. The threat was a gigantic squid monster in NY. The movie went a different direction with the framing of Dr Manhattan. The raining quid is clearly a direct result of the Squid Monster. Whether the rain is intended or not remains to be seen.

This is more of a sequel to the book which took place

I read the book and my recollection was that it was aliens but couldn't remember. Why is Dr. Manhattan still on Mars then?

I read the book and my recollection was that it was aliens but couldn't remember. Why is Dr. Manhattan still on Mars then?

Yeah it was aliens but in think it was meant to be inter-dimensional since it just appeared out of nowhere.

After Ozymandias essentially won, Dr Manhattan decided he was already so removed from humanity he said he was going to leave for good and there was no reason to stay.

this doesn't sound good. I'll stick to the movie and book.

I liked the first episode. It had action and a decent mystery to start the story. I could see someone completely unaware of the source scratching their head a bit.

VN Store

Back