Washing machine.

K-town Vol Fan

Blood Runneth Orange
So I have a washing machine from mid-late 90s. It still does a great job getting things clean and is rock solid reliable. I have owned it for nearly 10 years and only had to replace a lid switch. Well, now I need to replace the water inlet valve. Easy fix, but for my particular washer the part runs $110. If this was a $20 part I wouldn't think twice about it, but what would yall do. Drop $110 for a part for a nearly 30 year old washer that is otherwise perfect or just go ahead and replace the washer? I know washing machines aren't made like they used to be, so I'm just curious what VN would do.

Try to find an older repair shop, maybe they have spare parts for a lot cheaper. We have some bigger places here, but there are a couple of older places that work on appliances, and sometimes they have parts on old stuff they have sitting around. The one in our county we've actually donated to, just because they've been a help to us, and hopefully our stuff went to help someone else. This place doesn't have advertising, or Facebook, etc, but locals know it. Maybe you can ask around, and find someone who works on older stuff. Maybe no luck, but it's worth a shot to ask around maybe.

Try to find an older repair shop, maybe they have spare parts for a lot cheaper. We have some bigger places here, but there are a couple of older places that work on appliances, and sometimes they have parts on old stuff they have sitting around. The one in our county we've actually donated to, just because they've been a help to us, and hopefully our stuff went to help someone else. This place doesn't have advertising, or Facebook, etc, but locals know it. Maybe you can ask around, and find someone who works on older stuff. Maybe no luck, but it's worth a shot to ask around maybe.
Good idea, I actually think I know of a local place

Reactions: McDad and joevol33
So I have a washing machine from mid-late 90s. It still does a great job getting things clean and is rock solid reliable. I have owned it for nearly 10 years and only had to replace a lid switch. Well, now I need to replace the water inlet valve. Easy fix, but for my particular washer the part runs $110. If this was a $20 part I wouldn't think twice about it, but what would yall do. Drop $110 for a part for a nearly 30 year old washer that is otherwise perfect or just go ahead and replace the washer? I know washing machines aren't made like they used to be, so I'm just curious what VN would do.
Man, that is tough because at $110, you can make the argument both ways. Me personally, I would probably take a chance with fixing/replacing the valve. maybe I could get the part (due to supply chain issues) and get it fixed before the next time I need to wash clothes.

Man, that is tough because at $110, you can make the argument both ways. Me personally, I would probably take a chance with fixing/replacing the valve. maybe I could get the part (due to supply chain issues) and get it fixed before the next time I need to wash clothes.
The washer is functional it is just dripping water into the washer when not in use. From what I've read it will just get worse until the valve fully dies and floods the washer (big yikes)

It just sucks I see some on Amazon listed for $15...I almost wonder if it's worth trying one of those and just sending it back if it doesn't work and getting the $110 one.

The washer is functional it is just dripping water into the washer when not in use. From what I've read it will just get worse until the valve fully dies and floods the washer (big yikes)

It just sucks I see some on Amazon listed for $15...I almost wonder if it's worth trying one of those and just sending it back if it doesn't work and getting the $110 one.
It really is hard letting go of a good one. We used to have a huge washer, it would hold a king size comforter easy. After years of use, and a couple of moves, the body was coming loose, and wouldn't stay tight. We finally bought a new one when we bought the house we're in now, but only because my wife made me 🤣.

Reactions: tbh and the_todd

I'd keep it. If it gives you another year, you will make your $$$ back from doing the repair...

If you can repair it with $15 part, then a no Brainer to keep

Reactions: the_todd

This sounds like a good plan. Order both asap. If the $15 doesn't work, you got the one you need. If it does work, return the expensive one.

I'd try to fix it the new one's are terrible and won't last.

I asked the guy when we were buying a dishwasher 3 months ago about replacing our washer & dryer since they were 15 years old. He said keep them because most of the appliances made in the last year or two are not up to normal manufacturing standards.

VN Store

Back